- - - - -

Side Torso Destroyed Means Death?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Redalus

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi there! Is it normal to get killed when you lose your side torso? I frequently play the Catapult K-2 and it happens a lot to me. I know there can be ammo-explosions, but i only have AMS ammo loaded at the legs. When i shoot other players, and destroy they side torso, they normaly don't die. Can't explain it to myself why it happens to me in the catapult, please help.

#2 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

If your mech has an XL engine, then yes, that's normal.

IS Standard engines don't occupy slots in the side torso, so they cannot be destroyed thus.

Clan XL engines occupy TWO slots in each side torso. To destroy an engine, you must destroy THREE slots of it. Therefore, Clan XL requires BOTH side torso components to be destroyed, or the CT.

IS XL engines occupy THREE slots in each side torso. IF you destroy a single side torso of a mech with an IS XL engine, you destroy the engine, which effectively destroys the mech.

#3 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

You die because your XL engine destroyed by destruction of 3 side torso's critical engine slots.This is feature of IS XL engine.

#4 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostRedalus, on 17 January 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Hi there! Is it normal to get killed when you lose your side torso? I frequently play the Catapult K-2 and it happens a lot to me. I know there can be ammo-explosions, but i only have AMS ammo loaded at the legs. When i shoot other players, and destroy they side torso, they normaly don't die. Can't explain it to myself why it happens to me in the catapult, please help.

To give you a slightly more thourough answer, Redalus:

The reason you die when you lose your side torso in the Catapult K2, is because of how your particular mech has been built, using the engine type called XL. You could use a "Standard" Engine in your K2, OR an "XL" Engine, and each has a different reason to use it. The "XL" Engine which is what you are using RIGHT NOW, is much lighter hence "eXtra Light" - allowing you to build your mech carrying more weapons, armor and equipment. But that engine's problem is that it extends out into the left and right torsos of your mech, taking up more spaces than the "Standard" Engine which is only going to use space in your CENTER TORSO... on the mech loadout when using "XL Engine" you will see three slots in the left and right torso of your mech that will say "engine". When your mech loses a side torso, these three slots go away - meaning your engine loses part of itself and can no longer function. That is the trade off for the advantage of carrying more weight on your mech with this engine.

You mention that you fight other people and they don't die when they lose a side torso. That most likely is because they have chosen to use "Standard" Engines in their mechs, or else they are in the CLAN type of mech, which uses an advanced type of eXtra Light Engine which can lose ONE (not both) side torso and still keep working. Their CLAN type "XL" Engines only can be used in the CLAN type mechs, so unfortunately you cannot put one in your Catapult K2.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 17 January 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

here is a breakdown on advantages and disadvantages of each engine type

Standard Engine (IS and Clan)
weigh about twice as much as an XL (minus the weight of the in engine heatsinks), to kill the mech you have to take out both legs, the Head or the Center Torso

XL Engine, Inner Sphere
lighter but bulkier than standard engines, take up 3 slots in each side torso. about 3 times the price of standard engines, your Mech will die to loosing any single torso as well as both legs or the head

XL Engine, Clan
the same weight as the IS XL but less bulky, the same price as the IS XL your Mech can be killed by destroying BOTH side torsos, the Center torso, both legs or the head, if you loose one side torso your heat efficiency and speed are reduced

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 17 January 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#6 Redalus

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hi folks! Thank you very much for the many and detailed answers! Yes, my Catapult got an XL engine, but i never noticed that it expands into the side torso. Now i see the advantages and disadvantages of it! Thanks again!

Wish you a nice day, and happy hunting!

Edited by Redalus, 17 January 2016 - 09:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users