• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

I used to play a lot with a faction, but since returning and rebuilding a drop deck, not so much. I've even changed factions because who cares?????? right? Friends were on Liao, so now I am too.

With that out of the way, I used to like my Hunchbacks and my Stalkers. I've tried old builds, new builds, I just can't get into the swing of things after more than two weeks back. My Stalkers are notorious for getting stripped of their arms, and I remember them being one of the easiest things to spread damage with, which is odd.

Hunchbacks just don't seem to pack the punch for me that they once did. Me and the 4G are not on good terms. The 4P not much better. Some matches I'll barely put any damage up at all.

With a focus on quick play and just stomping robots, where can I go from here. I could just blame some of it on group queue and up-tiering, but it happens to me solo sometimes as well. I've taken a new attitude towards them game and have really stopped looking at things like metamechs, and don't really worry about my drop deck or faction play anymore.

I just want to have a good time in Quick Play, and I can't quite seem to get there, Either I get smashed early on, or I get stripped in combat. Brawling is almost a no go. Do I just suck it up and buy an Atlas and try to soak all the things because I have reflex problems//am bad at games? I'll take on any role that doesn't involve LRMs. [yawn]

#2 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

The only advice I can give after leveling up all the hunchbacks is to crank up the speed and be willing to sit out the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the match. I had to become a bigger vulture, nastier scavenger, and bigger coward than before. At times I wouldn't shoot at mech unless it was shooting at something else already because everyone is doing melta laser builds

Edited by Hexenhammer, 17 January 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#3 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Oh yeah, I've gotten into the habit of just sitting there for a couple of minutes, wasn't sure if that was the right choice. "Hovering" back behind the blue Doritos until they make contact with red Doritos. I've also Elite'd my Hunchies and Stalkers, Wolverines are next, hence the brawling.

I've spent some time in the trial Atlas for science, and while being very durable I am focused and no amount of armor can save a CT for long. Twisting on the Atlas feels, different to say the least.

#4 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

I dont ever use Hunchies for CW but the meta in CW is still very much a laser vomit meta so I am afraid that you will be stuck against a lot of high dmg alpha/high heat dis. loadouts. Obvious IS counterparts are the Stalker 4N, Thunderbolts 5S-T, SS, and SE, Wolverine 6k, etc. BUT in my own personal experience the public queues have started balancing out nicely so I dont think anyone would blame you for just waiting until CW beta 3 rolls out. Also I feel that the community as a whole has gotten better and more players are getting better at singling out components so that may also be a reason for the feeling of less durability overall.

~Dark

Edit: You also want to try some longer range builds to help mitigate the chances of you getting gibed in the first few minutes of the game

Edited by Darkspart3n, 17 January 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#5 PigsinBlankets

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:59 AM

As Hexenhammer says - the way to brawl properly in the pug queue is to stay alive and as undamaged as possible for at least the first 1/4 of the match. Wait for the ranges to close then pounce, ideally from the side while they are pushing on your assaults. A high risk strategy (which can work , but often doesn't ) is to try to flank along with the lights/or a light in Alpha lance and then roll in from behind, one target at a time while the enemy is fully concentrating on the line - this takes a lot of luck in a PUG though. I love the brawl and hate sniping, they're is nothing I hate more than being in a game where my whole team, (short range KC and Atlii and all) sits there and fires LL and the one LRM 15 they fitted to their dual AC/20 build at each other.

#6 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

Something that helps hunchbacks in quick play for me is to downgrade the ac 20 to a 10 or 5 and upgrade lasers to get more range. It's so hard to brawl with a twenty when you are slagged to internals before you get in range. The ac 10 or 5 will allow you to stay with the laser vomit builds. Still need to pick your targets more carefully but it beats haveing to lead the charge.

Naturally that doesn't apply to 4p or missile builds. They should work well still. The alternative to downgrading that ac is to go guass rifle, people have varying opinions on them though. I personally think the charge time is too long. But you will get great damage at range.

#7 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:07 AM

Here is a video on simple tips every new mechwarrior should know about the game that experts know..Its in two parts and hope this helps you in the future..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users