19 replies to this topic

#1 Race Rogers

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKurita Dropship in Low Orbit

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

Just started back this month after a seven month layoff and noticed the pilot tier thingy. I have a rank five[5] pilot tier. I have opted to show it too. it does'nt matter to me but will i ever be able to raise it up?

i get kills and assist all most every game even as far back as a year ago. been playing for around two years.

so Questions!!

1] does it go by kill/death ratio or win/losses or a combo of both?

2] i have like 400 more deaths than kills [from the trying out different mechs back in the newbie days Posted Image ]
so do i need to need not to explode every match and atleast get a kill to ever so slowly move up or will i move up fairly fast?

3] will i be shunned by publicly dispalying my lowest tier to all? its not like i am a bad pilot Posted Image

here is the stats im working with..

Kills / Death 2,514 / 2,914 Experience Points 3,200,872 Wins / Losses 1,995 / 1,978 Kill / Death Ratio 0.86

i drive mostly light mechs [jenners/locust/raven with some cicada thrown in there too]. most of those chasis' are rated over 1.00 in k/d. so should i be worried ? Posted Image

sorry for the ramblin' but im just confused on how long it will take..

as always, thanks for your time and any answers would be helpfull

RACE..

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

All the info you need can be found here:
http://mwomercs.com/...-as-best-i-can/

In general, though, if you keep winning more often than you lose you should eventually rise out of tier 5.
As a comparison for you:
W/L 4213/3778 K/D 6634/6863 - 0.97

#3 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Just win. And maybe do decent damage each round to get a high enough match score. That's about it.

For whatever reason PGI made the entire team winning a major factor when deciding if your tier goes up instead of individual results. On a loss it is extremely difficult for your tier to go up even if you did the best on your team but in a win you almost just have to show up and your tier will go up.

#4 Jakob von Jedi

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Race,

This is my alt account. I just started another character to play solely as a Clan Pilot. I started out in tier 4. I have a W/L ratio right now, with only 12 matches played, of 9/3, 9 wins, 3 loses. As you can see I'm ranked tier 3. If you look at the results after each match, you'll notice how your rank was affected by either a, ^ = or v. The ranking system is heavily weighted towards wining. Score low, but win the match, your rank will go up. Score 300 to 400 damage with no kills and lose the match, your rank will likely go down. Pay attention to your "Match Score" If you score around 250 or more each match, you rank will go up.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

the way it works,
each game you gain or loose points, gain enough and you will move out or t5.

on a win you cannot loose points, higher score (note match score not damage or kills) means go up more, I think it is 200 on a win to go up.

on a loss you can go up (I think 400+score), stay the same (I think 250-400)or go down (I think less than 250 score), the post Bilbo referenced has what players have figured out, but PGI has never published the formula so while that is probably pretty accurate we cannot be sure the mechanics have been worked out correctly.

I think half your damage is added directly to match score so dealing high damage is the best way to increase your tier, as even for me, someone who only averages around 250 damage that usualy seems to make up more than half my score

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

^^^RJ has it.

A note to the OP: Your KDR and W/L do not affect you going forward. I BELIEVE it's what was used, to some extent or another, to initially SEED you into a tier. I've got an alt account, a previous one I stopped using because I couldn't change the name. Went back to look at it a couple days ago, and it's Tier 5. Been a stat wipe since the last time I played it, so it now has like a 2.0 KDR, and has only LOST PSR on maybe one match. STILL in Tier 5. The old stats had something like a 0.5-0.6 KDR.

TL;DR- KDR and W/L affected your seeding, maybe, but do not affect your PSR going forward. Match score does that.

#7 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 18 January 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

^^^RJ has it.

A note to the OP: Your KDR and W/L do not affect you going forward. I BELIEVE it's what was used, to some extent or another, to initially SEED you into a tier. I've got an alt account, a previous one I stopped using because I couldn't change the name. Went back to look at it a couple days ago, and it's Tier 5. Been a stat wipe since the last time I played it, so it now has like a 2.0 KDR, and has only LOST PSR on maybe one match. STILL in Tier 5. The old stats had something like a 0.5-0.6 KDR.

TL;DR- KDR and W/L affected your seeding, maybe, but do not affect your PSR going forward. Match score does that.

They used the same system to seed your tier as the use now. If you didn't play the account during the seeding period the account should start at the same place all new players start.

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

AH. Thanks for clearing that up.

#9 Lazygunns

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 18 January 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

the way it works,
each game you gain or loose points, gain enough and you will move out or t5.

on a win you cannot loose points, higher score (note match score not damage or kills) means go up more, I think it is 200 on a win to go up.

on a loss you can go up (I think 400+score), stay the same (I think 250-400)or go down (I think less than 250 score), the post Bilbo referenced has what players have figured out, but PGI has never published the formula so while that is probably pretty accurate we cannot be sure the mechanics have been worked out correctly.

I think half your damage is added directly to match score so dealing high damage is the best way to increase your tier, as even for me, someone who only averages around 250 damage that usualy seems to make up more than half my score

PSR going up or down is based on your match score and whether you win or lose. Score high enough on a losing game and your PSR wont go down. Score low enough on a winning game and it can go down.

#10 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostLazygunns, on 18 January 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

PSR going up or down is based on your match score and whether you win or lose. Score high enough on a losing game and your PSR wont go down. Score low enough on a winning game and it can go down.

No, it cannot go down on a win. The worst that can happen on a win is no movement.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostLazygunns, on 18 January 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

score low on a win and it stays the same, score high on a loss and it can go up a fair amount (but not as much as a high score win)

#12 Lazygunns

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

I may be misremembering, my first match of last weekend's competition was so shockingly bad and I was sure it went down even though the team won. Still it could be early senility kicking in...

#13 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

I don't know but I feel like I advance 80% of the games and the other 20% I stay in same place .

Which is kinda nice . Most games don't account for individual contribution when it comes to Tiers .

Although unraked mode is not exactly competitive . Its basically hidden elo .

Edited by MadCat02, 18 January 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostLazygunns, on 18 January 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

I may be misremembering, my first match of last weekend's competition was so shockingly bad and I was sure it went down even though the team won. Still it could be early senility kicking in...

I thought there was some discussion of the possibility that one could lose PSR on a win, assuming a sufficiently POOR match score. It would have to be downright AWFUL, though. Like, almost impossibly awful for anyone who even SAW an enemy mech during the course of the match.

But I, too, may be working my way up the dementia ladder...

#15 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

If I recall, someone (maybe PGI I don't remember) said that if it went on long enough, everyone would eventually end up in Tier 1 so it must be naturally weighted that way. I don't have a source though so take that with a grain of salt.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

View PostLazygunns, on 18 January 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

I have had a 0 damage win where I went off scouting in a Light and got one shot before even detecting a Mech. with absolutely no contribution to the match I did not loose points

View PostDrRedCoat, on 18 January 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

If I recall, someone (maybe PGI I don't remember) said that if it went on long enough, everyone would eventually end up in Tier 1 so it must be naturally weighted that way. I don't have a source though so take that with a grain of salt.

in theory that is correct, looking at the fact that only a loss with a low score will have you loose points means it does favor rising through the tiers until such time that the opponents are so much better than you that you can no longer maintain progress, however most players will not be able to consistently score high against tier 1 players meaning most will plateau at tier 3 or 2, and if you are more worried about having fun than scoring high you may stop at tier 4 or even tier 5, only the highly skilled players are likely to make it to tier 1.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 January 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#17 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

There's a nice graphic from PGI in a thread somwwhere explaining the up and down.

On a Win you can have:
No PSR Change with Low MS,
PSR Rise with moderate MS,
High PSR Rise with high MS

On a Loss you can have:
High PSR decrease with Low MS,
No PSR Change with moderate MS,
PSR Rise with high MS

Greetings

el piro

Edited by el piromaniaco, 19 January 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#18 PigsinBlankets

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:35 AM

It seems to be heavily driven by damage dealt, ranking up in lights is harder because it is harder to consistently do a lot of damage in light mechs than it is in medium and heavy. I love my Jenner - and I played lights all through the Cadet bonus missions - there is nothing like moving in and out fast and taking the armour of that Dire Wolf, but I didn't start to get consistent high damage output until I got my Centurion. Since then my ranking has started to regularly increase.

#19 Race Rogers

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKurita Dropship in Low Orbit

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. most of my games in the last few days have given a green up or yellow equals. it looks like my team wins in 70% of my games

but, i also noticed i get put into the recieving end of some crappy team stomps just like the old days :) it sorta feels like the old elo where you start doing good team wins, then boooom, many horrible stomps in a row :(

Race

#20 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostAsrael999, on 19 January 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

It seems to be heavily driven by damage dealt, ranking up in lights is harder because it is harder to consistently do a lot of damage in light mechs than it is in medium and heavy. I love my Jenner - and I played lights all through the Cadet bonus missions - there is nothing like moving in and out fast and taking the armour of that Dire Wolf, but I didn't start to get consistent high damage output until I got my Centurion. Since then my ranking has started to regularly increase.

Yeah, since damage is the most important part of your match score the best way to raise your ranking is to do a lot of damage. Streak and LRM boats that do a lot of spread damage without killing are better than a dual Gauss mech that gets a lot of kills through pinpoint damage.

Wish it wasn't that way...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users