33 replies to this topic

#21 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Pretty sure OP is talking about particle effects.

And yes, the AC hit explosion effects can be toned down. I'd much prefer a shrapnel looking effect from AC's (not as sparky as the Gauss however), but something that works with Nvidia where particles of metal flake off and land on the ground would be pretty cool.

I just turn the particles slider down to low though. They just get so annoying and you can gain a few FPS.

#22 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

Pretty sure OP is talking about particle effects
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes when massive alpha weapons hit me my cockpit view is just one big blurry explosive mess most times I lose direction trying to regain my ability to see my surroundings and get out of weapons fire. Missiles are the worst but the ballistic and laser damage animation is bad also.

I would preferably like to see short clean crisp hits then a clear view like the older PC MechWarrior games had come to think about it maybe it is the duration of the effects that is causing it all. Maybe a reduction in the seconds the animations can be shown would fix the problem and still retain all that PGI has put into damage visuals.

Like maybe reduce the damage animation time cycle per weapon by 50% when it starts and finishes per shot ?

P.S Could someone with a Twitter Account post a link to this topic for Russ? Maybe we could see what he thinks about it?

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 20 January 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#23 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 19 January 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

Despite the bad sentence grammar, I think I know what he means. It seems like even though your cockpit is this tiny window portion of your mech, that is where all of your enemies' LRMs and AC dakka is landing, seriously obscuring your screen and driving your framerate way, way down.

Yeah. The way FPS tanks when you're taking fire hurts way more than the screen shake. They really need to fix the particle system.

For instance, if I fire my lasers at a wall that's right up in my face I can see an FPS drop from 60 down to under 20, sometimes down to single digits.

I could turn the particles down but the game just feels kinda flat without them - especially PPCs

Edited by Troutmonkey, 20 January 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#24 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Being blinded by muzzle flash, spawl flying into your eyes, over pressure effects are all par for the course in real life, and I personnally think it makes plenty of sense for this game. Bad positioning or the enemy out playing you, means you suffer for it, both in terms of damage taken and effects on your ability to see clearly.

Reducing it just dumbs down the game imo, since its not insurmountable and can be overcome by keeping your wits, twisting away and changing position.

#25 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

Reducing it just dumbs down the game imo, since its not insurmountable and can be overcome by keeping your wits, twisting away and changing position.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I once thought the same thing as you Lukoi but I soon realized the truth there is just to much overall weapons damage animation in my cockpit view to make the game fun and as you get up in tiers and play better comp players the overall experience worsens .

At higher levels comp and high tier players hit yo so much you just freeze and die no matter what you do so you do the same try to blind and freeze them with overwhelming alpha and DPS damage. At that point its who is lucky because your both are blind from all the particles in your cockpit view.

#26 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

There are user.cfg settings you can use that reduce both the FPS impact and complexity/quality of Particles, while still being able to have the setting on. It doesn't do much to obscuring smoke (though oddly I thought it made it look nicer on my system), and it won't make a dent to the blinding mess of massive missiles hitting you, but it makes it more manageable when being blasted by AC's I've found as it appears to reduce the number of overall particles even on low, vs remove them entirely.

You can find some of it by searching the threads regarding user.cfg settings (I could give mine, but lacking context for someone else makes just blindly copying and pasting a bad idea).

Or, you just turn particles off and rarely have the issue beyond the missile annoyance.

#27 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Use advanced settings to turn down what helps.

Most sports involving shooting or driving/piloting use tinted glasses to remove haze and create defined shapes that are easier to identify quickly. At a competitive level all that matters is how quickly you can see and make a decision - less is more.

The fewer things that your machine has to generate the faster it can send and receive information to PGIs servers. This is also magnified on a faster machine (simplification but basically true). Many games put the lower options for lower end machines, but the meta crowd uses them as a step over the people who need a step up.

I got a new machine and graphics card and happily turned everything up and the game ran at over 100fps everywhere. The problem was all the pretty made it harder to see the mechs within the structures. I turned all the effects down until I saw whatever could shoot or stop me plain as day. I do not shoot shadows or rain, only the enemy mech.

#28 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

Use advanced settings to turn down what helps

Well maybe I will try that but I still think PGI should look into what has been said in this topic and fix it.

#29 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Has anyone contacted Russ on twittard about this topic? is he aware?

#30 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

OP just wants calmly line up his crosshair and shoot all the while listening to tranquil forest sounds and sitting on a reclining couch. Ahhhhh...peace.

Seriously, the shakes and flashes are there to tell you that you are in trouble so don't get yourself into that situation next time. It's there to PUNISH you for making yourself a fat target.

So you walked into open facing 3 mechs on your own and you still want to fight effectively? No. You need your butt handed to you by a Locust amidst all the AC and LRM fire so the shame will haunt you forever and you'll never run off without support again.

#31 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

SQW said(So you walked into open facing 3 mechs on your own and you still want to fight effectively? No. You need your butt handed to you by a Locust amidst all the AC and LRM fire so the shame will haunt you forever and you'll never run off without support again. )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's really funny because Im the one in a medium supporting my assaults and a fat assss dire is trying to back up into me because he cant see where he is going because so much damage animation is blinding his cockpit as well?

#32 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 19 January 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Anybody else remember back in closed beta when you painted a laser across an opponents mech and it left a red glowing scar that slowly cooled down?

Now it's all "one bajillion pock-marks" kinda damage. Sure miss those old damage animations.

I hate how mechs look after they have been shot up for a while. It looks like someone had a serious go at the mech with a ball hammer Posted Image

#33 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

Posted ImageTLBFestus, on 19 January 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

Anybody else remember back in closed beta when you painted a laser across an opponents mech and it left a red glowing scar that slowly cooled down?

Now it's all "one bajillion pock-marks" kinda damage. Sure miss those old damage animations.

I hate how mechs look after they have been shot up for a while. It looks like someone had a serious go at the mech with a ball hammer Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree but if they could just tone down all the damage animation hitting my cockpit screen by up to 50% I would be a happy camper.

#34 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 20 January 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

I once thought the same thing as you Lukoi but I soon realized the truth there is just to much overall weapons damage animation in my cockpit view to make the game fun and as you get up in tiers and play better comp players the overall experience worsens .

At higher levels comp and high tier players hit yo so much you just freeze and die no matter what you do so you do the same try to blind and freeze them with overwhelming alpha and DPS damage. At that point its who is lucky because your both are blind from all the particles in your cockpit view.

Try to keep your wits then. Many of the effects are psychological.

Edited by Mystere, 31 January 2016 - 03:07 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users