- - - - -

Traditional Mechs / Lore

19 replies to this topic

#1 Tanil Kane

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:37 AM

I've been playing for a few weeks now and notice that basically no one uses traditional battletech mechs.

Everything is heavily modified, and it really takes away from the feel of it being a battletech/mechwarrior game and makes it more like just a FPS. Scouts can't call out that there is a GRF-3M in a location, since it doesn't mean anything. The mech won't likely have its LMR20 ERPPC loadout.

Are there any faction warfare events, or events in general that actually use traditional mechs or tech drops? I.e 3025 tech vs 3025 tech. Clan invasion vs IS 3050 tech?

The combat is a blast, but the game feels very hollow and not linked to the Battletech universe. Would love some true battletech matchups.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostTanil Kane, on 19 January 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

I've been playing for a few weeks now and notice that basically no one uses traditional battletech mechs.

Everything is heavily modified, and it really takes away from the feel of it being a battletech/mechwarrior game and makes it more like just a FPS. Scouts can't call out that there is a GRF-3M in a location, since it doesn't mean anything. The mech won't likely have its LMR20 ERPPC loadout.

Are there any faction warfare events, or events in general that actually use traditional mechs or tech drops? I.e 3025 tech vs 3025 tech. Clan invasion vs IS 3050 tech?

The combat is a blast, but the game feels very hollow and not linked to the Battletech universe. Would love some true battletech matchups.

unfortunately the stock Mechs are usualy so inferior to customized load-outs that if you are playing stock you are severely disadvantaging yourself.

there are stock mode player run tournaments, but I am not sure where would be the best place to look for them, sorry.

one of the problems with this game is that there are essentially 3 categories of people playing it, the competitive players who think if you are not using a "meta" build you are crazy, the lore people who think everyone should be running stock builds and those of us who are mostly interested in having fun (like me), although is is quite possible to fall into multiple categories.

the problem comes when one of the categories complains that the other categories are ruining there enjoyment (e.g. comp players complaining that everyone should be running "meta" to have the best possible chance of winning, or lore players complaining that most people are not using stock Mechs, although I have only seen comp and new or casual players "it is not fair I cannot beat a comp player in my un-optomized Mech", complaining lately).

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

Short answer: No.

There are some players that run "super-stock" as a personal preference, but as far as organized events or groups go, I am unaware of any that encourage or require such game play. There are several threads on these forums which request such events and or game modes, but they have been met with silence from the devs.

Your post will speak loudly to many here. Lots of threads about "this is supposed to be a battletech game!" etc. If you are looking for BT or MW immersion you will not find it here. Only by role play and/or by putting limitations on yourself will you get any real lore based "flavor"...because the game won't really provide it. Alas. My advice, to maximize your enjoyment is to think of this game as being a mech based FPS that tries to feel like battletech. It really is the best it can do and still be a viable game.

#4 Jakob von Jedi

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

There is a group of players that still play stock loadouts. They used to play on Mondays, but have recently started playing again on Sunday evenings.

This thread will tell you all about it.

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Yup, Jacob von Jedi has the right of it. Stock Mech Mondays still seems to be going strong, and, if the timing doesn't work out for you, it's the place to try an organize something that will.

~Leone.

#6 TheOddball

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:28 AM

Some units also have intra-unit matches that are organized in that manner, restricting builds, weapons or having IS lance (12) vs clan star (10) matches. You could even try to recreate a few of the more famous battles. This gives the game more of a MW feel, but it is not anything that gets you c-bills or xp. Still, it's a blast.

Personally, I am waiting for the Solaris arenas. If there is anything that would give me the best MW experience, it would be in the Coliseum, facing half a dozen opponents, in a heavily modified and gaudily painted 'mech. Nothing says traditional quite like trying to claim the Solaris Champion title.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

I completely agree with you. It's led to many posts about how to redo the game to fit BT better, but so far there isn't much hope with that.

There are groups that host private matches with strict "stock only" rules. It's created an amazing feel. However quirks have sort of ruined that, too. I do believe you'll see the occasional stock mech Wednesday, Sunday, and Monday. Worth looking up.

Me and Lordred used to do stock only matches for filming with Solaris (lore not tabletop) -style rules. One or two weapons allowed to fire at the same time. No HUD (right shift + F11). First or third person (usually third because then damage is spread even more since instead of magic first person glide, the weapons actually bounce with the mech's movements causing spread).

Timber Wolf versus Orion: Stocks only third person.
Vindicator versus Ice Ferret. Stocks only third person.
Atlas versus Atlas. Stocks only third person.

Highlander versus Direwolf: Stocks, third person; Lordred's view.
Same as above, Kon's perspective. Scenario and commentary text provided.

Mind you, ALL recorded before massive quirks. Yes, a stock Highlander which at the time had NERFS only defeated the first-release Dire Wolf. Partly due to bad moves on my part, partly due to invisible walls on maps, but mostly due to pinpoint FLD on the IS side without all this silly quirk nonsense!

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

I'm personally, fairly soon, will be hosting a small version of TT "CW" with defense/offense management, etc. using Megamek. It'll be using simultaneous turns and a plethora of official BT rules with one or two unofficial rules for 'realism' reasons. I'm working out how the logistical side will work, as plans include bot-controlled 'civilians' and faction specific quirks/advantages that I need to balance as well as strict customization rules. Sadly its complexity on the management side means the group needs to be kept to about 8 people tops.

That said I have about four empty slots, and you sound like someone who'll enjoy it. So hit me up for either some stock-only battles or for the Tabletop community warfare. Posted Image

Also, welcome to Mechwarrior Online.

Edited by Koniving, 20 January 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#9 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

I wont lie - playing around in the mechlab and trying out builds is half the fun. But I'm not too fond of the game's encouragement of the holy meta, and the complete and utter disregard of lore and basic designs.
If I was in charge, I'd do it differently. Fortunately for most perhaps, I'm not in chargePosted Image

Edited by AmazingOnionMan, 20 January 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 January 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Your post will speak loudly to many here. Lots of threads about "this is supposed to be a battletech game!" etc. If you are looking for BT or MW immersion you will not find it here. Only by role play and/or by putting limitations on yourself will you get any real lore based "flavor"...because the game won't really provide it. Alas. My advice, to maximize your enjoyment is to think of this game as being a mech based FPS that tries to feel like battletech.

I feel it can do better, but liked for it being the truth of the matter.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Hunchy 4Ps are usually run pretty damn close to stock usually.
It was an OG meta mech before such a thing existed.

#12 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

Even if there was a stock mode, too many game mechanics are miscarried in MWO to let it work well. Anything relying on SRMs? Useless.
LB-Xs, LRMs or other critical seeking weapons? Useless.
Anything ammo dependent with stock ammo tonnages? Useless.

This is coming from someone who's currently running around pug-land in a stock urban 'Mech though so. . . read into that what you will.

Edited by no one, 20 January 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#13 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

I told myself at one time I would play a stock configuration of a Ebon Jag or Shadowcat when they came out. I took abut a years break from gameing and one day I opened my email to see a pack with both mechs for sale 2 weeks to release! Vacation over! I jumped back in and saw I lied to myself about running stock, It just didn't work, the differences in heat sink capacity was a big issue, the fact that pin point accuracy is possible without rolling a d20 to make a called shot was what broke me of it really.

A tabletop game runs off of lucky rolls of the dice. Its just not an issue in a FPS mech simulation game. Player skill + good decisions rule,. I do however run some mechs close to stock. Those are mostly hunchbacks and centurions though I haven't played either in a while. Ran Warhammer stock all release day, but have since moved on to builds that perform better.

What Koniving is putting together sounds fun though, Yall have a good time!

#14 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

Different mechs have different strenghts so after a while you'll be able to predict what mechs have by looking at it. Not always, because some people run crazy loadouts, but then all you need is to see them shooting to know what they're packing.
e.g. ravens will most often have erlls, huggins srms+MGs. Atlases AC20+SRMs (why some people try to put LRMs on an atlas - beats me). Jenners - medium or small lasers. Hunchies usually run close to stock, just with upgrades and more ammo, same with enforcers... etc. etc.

View Postno one, on 20 January 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Even if there was a stock mode, too many game mechanics are miscarried in MWO to let it work well. Anything relying on SRMs? Useless.
LB-Xs, LRMs or other critical seeking weapons? Useless.
Anything ammo dependent with stock ammo tonnages? Useless.
This is coming from someone who's currently running around pug-land in a stock urban 'Mech though so. . . read into that what you will.

SRM useless? Oxides, Atlases and Centurions argue otherwise.
LRMs useless? Tell that to 1/3 of every tier 5,4 and 3 pug team, or to certain Marik units that take them to CW.
LB-X - Here I almost agree. Only it's not useless, it's situational. In some situations better than AC, but usually significantly worse on 95% of the mechs. Granted, I've bought a Centurion-D yesterday and outfitted it with an LBX and some SRMs. 6 Matches so far. 7 kills, 3 deaths. Average dmg is ~434, including that one match we got totally stomped by the enemy. That cent is still not basiced, mind you. LBXs CAN be effective on some mechs, even as situational as they are.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 22 January 2016 - 12:43 AM.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:53 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 22 January 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

why some people try to put LRMs on an atlas - beats me

my AS7-S caries an LRM10 (along side 3 SRM4, AC20 and 4 ML) so it is not completely useless in the early stages of the game like a pure brawler Atlas would be, however if you mean LRMs as the primary weapon system I agree, that is wasting the potential of the Atlas.

#16 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:18 AM

Scouts can't easily call out the loadout, but if you know the meta builds you can still get a lot of information. Also tonnage and primary weapon compositions can be interesting in CW. (light rush coming? group up at the gens. assault wave coming? spread out a bit with good firing lines. LRM's coming? maybe get in a position to brawl. see lots of erlarges, maybe hid and set up an ambush...)

#17 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 January 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

my AS7-S caries an LRM10 (along side 3 SRM4, AC20 and 4 ML) so it is not completely useless in the early stages of the game like a pure brawler Atlas would be, however if you mean LRMs as the primary weapon system I agree, that is wasting the potential of the Atlas.

I mean turning atlases (and king crabs when where at it) into LRM boats. Painful to watch. All that armor going to waste until it's too late.

Putting one lrm rack on a brawler to not get bored while there's no option for a brawl yet is nothing wrong. I don't do that anymore, because positioning for a brawl and positioning to lurm people kinda contradict each other, at least for me. But then I brawl with meds and don't have an Atlas yet.

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

Unfortionaly the main sin of the prior Mechwarrior games has been taken over into this game.
Free mech customization, no rarity restrictions, no faction spezific Mechs, no ammo costs or Mech upkeep ( there was once but it has been taken out of game together with other more battletech like features )

Sadly this game is only very loosely tied to Battletech, neither there is any faction specific, lore wise, interaction, nor are there any sim like physics or terrain interaction.

This is just a bit more complicated action shooter with animations taken from Battletech Universe.

Maybe you could join some unit with a RP department doing privat drops ?

Otherwise ... yea well just see it as a sometimes fun big stompy robot shooter with Battletechesk elements. Thats all you will get since casuals, minmaxer and other....stuff are needed for bringing money to the publisher and just catering to BT fans would restrict the customer base too much.Posted Image

Edited by The Basilisk, 22 January 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#19 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

I've seen it mentioned that if you have a 'stock' mech drop option, people will simply choose to play in the mechs with the best 'stock' loadout.

Heck, even in my occasional tabletop BT days back in the 90's, players would say "I want to replace this useless weapon X with a half-decent Y and have room left over for 2 more heat sinks". Modifying stock is nothing new to MWO.

The stock options work best when, as The Basilisk says, rarity, faction availability, total unit cost, total unit makeup etc are factored in. I don't really see that as being possible in an MMO, or at least not viable with current MMO economics.

Now, if you have an RP group and can agree on some battle setups in advance, sure. As a game model I don't think the numbers would be there.

#20 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'll be brutally honest with you...for me, customizing 'mechs goes back to 1988 and the MechWarrior tabletop RPG where I often had to make do with what I could salvage during a campaign. The only thing considered 'meta' back then was making two characters...a dispossessed MechWarrior with maxed gunnery/piloting skills and a crappy Tech character who could supply a great 'mech. 'Mech customization has been part and parcel of the BT universe since day one. There's even canon lore for it...consider that Yen Lo Wang in the novels was hardly a stock Centurion.

Having said that, I'm running stock 'mechs in MWO because I'm an old fart who can't be bothered and just likes to see 'the cerulean beams spraying gobbets of molten armor' again. (I hate you to this day for that, Michael A. Stackpole.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users