52 replies to this topic

#21 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

I don't even have Resistance 2 and I can tell you that you are crazy.

The biggest knock on it is that the Wolfhound and Crab are "Just okay". Black Knight is one of the stronger Heavies and ditto for the Mauler and Assaults.

If you wanna cry about any package, cry to me about Wave 1. $240 US dollars and 3/8 mechs could be classified as "Good" or better.

Actually, you know what, I could very easily make an argument saying that R2 is the best and most balanced 4 pack PGI has ever delivered. (Keep in mind I'm forgetting what was in the Phoenix pack)

R1 has its weaker mechs, though all of them are still serviceable in my opinion.
R2 has two really strong mechs, 2 okay to slight above average mechs
W1 see above
W2 is hot trash outside of the Hellbringers
W3 AC and EJ are stupid good, but Shadowcat and the Executioner are meh.
IIC I like them, but glass cannons and the Orions and Highlanders aren't great.

#22 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostPrimal Vengeance, on 19 January 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

I am not trolling, I am seriously pissed, I feel like someone picked my pockets, or robbed my house when I was gone. These mechs are not middle of anything other than middle of the battlefield on fire, because they suck.

Wolfhound and Crab are grade A badasses sir.

STD engine wolfhounds (STD250) are basically the little scout that could. Get hit by gauss? No problem. Lose a ST? No problem. Get legged? Screw you, i didn't need that limb. Eat 6ML to the FACE.

Crabs are as tanky as the storm crow and carry an excellent amount of fire power.

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 19 January 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

(Keep in mind I'm forgetting what was in the Phoenix pack)

Locust, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, Battlemaster; with Griffin and Wolverine in the Saber Add-on.

Locust is hard mode, but I've seen people get fantastic results out of it, though pre-quirk it was gimmicky.

Shadowhawk was hands down the best medium ever released when it came out. It's still good, but quirks haven't been particularly kind to it.

Battlemaster was underestimated for a long time, these days people appreciate the high mounted energy points and the respectable speed it has (for an assault).

Griffin is still one of the most nimble mechs ever released, and makes for an excellent mid-size laser/missile striker.

Wolverines don't really have much of a niche. They're kind of a cross between a Shadowhawk and a Centurion. Not bad, and it has its devotees, but not the top performer in its weight, either.

#24 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Troll Post

R2 is a lot better than R1 (for me).

I killed nearly every ACH i saw with my wolfhounds. I needed only a few days to master all 3 maulers. The crabs are fast and small and xl friendlier than other 50t mechs. Havnt tried the Blackknight after the last quirk round.

Edited by stocky0904, 19 January 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#25 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostPrimal Vengeance, on 19 January 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

I cannot believe how horrible these mechs are:

Mauler: my 2nd time taking the 1P out, i get hit by a single small lazer and it crits my engine, and BOOM!!!! Dead, the next few times the first hits crit my guns and i walk around with no guns (this has happened multiple times)

Black Knight; If someone sneezes near it, it blows up, every hit goes to CT and kills you, A thunderbolt is 10x better than this in every category and 10 tons lighter.

Crab: cant run an XL with it because every hit goes to your RT or LT and you blow up,

Wolfhound: I have no idea, I am too disgusted to even try it.

Do they give refunds? if so how do I get one ?

You clearly have no idea of what you are doing.... stick to the meta crutch mechs, or up your piloting and gunner skill.... all of those mechs work really well, if you are not a total tool with them.

#26 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Black knight at the very least suits the games current energy barf meta. Sure it does not have the best hardpoint location but its more than workable. and 75 tons to toss into lots and lots of heatsinks.

The Mauler I was kinda MEH about, so i did not purchase any of the packs, since I didnt really energy boat at the time, Black knights didnt get jumpjets and the King Crab can do anything the Mauler can do better in all but Hardpoint location.

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 19 January 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#27 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

TC, you just need to practice a bit and find builds that work to your strengths. The R2 mechs are a bit limited (HEY DO YOU LIKE ENERGY HARDPOINTS!?), but they're not objectively bad. I've played a lot of Mauler games, and can't say that I've experienced any of the fragility that you're reporting.

#28 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

Mauler: One of the best ballistics platform in the game right now. Is the only mech that can viably do 6 ac 5s effectively. (Not even a king crab can do this. Probably the furthest thing from a terrible mech even with current meta.

Black knight: One of the best dueling mechs in the game right now. The effective combo of both strong energy quirks, solid structure quirks, and modest mobility quirks makes this thing VERY effective at what it does. Takes some skill to use, but hardly useless.

Crab: The smallest medium mech profile in the game combined with some structure quirks. Its a bit more nitche then other mechs, and its no stormcrow or anything, but its low profile combined with its mobility quirks makes it very durrable, and one of the few SOLID standard engine heavies in the game right now.

Wolfhound: This thing is a beast. Its lack of JJ's is more then made up for with its impressive quirks and multiple high mounted, chest focused energy points. Very versitile and I've seen everything from Tripple ER LL snipers to small pulse laser boats be used effectively.

R2 mechs are hardly terrible. And many of them are solidly good. But I think you'll hear people continuously go on about this pack if only because they aren't ridiculously broken to the point that they are clearly better then everything else out there.

#29 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

I cannot believe how horrible these mechs are:

Mauler: my 2nd time taking the 1P out, i get hit by a single small lazer and it crits my engine, and BOOM!!!! Dead, the next few times the first hits crit my guns and i walk around with no guns (this has happened multiple times)

Black Knight; If someone sneezes near it, it blows up, every hit goes to CT and kills you, A thunderbolt is 10x better than this in every category and 10 tons lighter.

Crab: cant run an XL with it because every hit goes to your RT or LT and you blow up,

Do they give refunds? if so how do I get one ?

According to your profile, you've been playing this game for less than a month.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is a purely L2P issue and not a problem with the mechs.

The Mauler and Black Knight are both very good chassis right now, in fact I intend to buy them with C-Bills since I didn't buy the R2 pack.

#30 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 19 January 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

Black Knight is as ugly as sin though.

Wh..what???? The resistance BK, complete with spikes, armour plates, and a phranken skeletal paint scheme in white on black is one of the best looking things i have seen in MWO!

I love the BK shape. Each to their own though i guess.

#31 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

R2 was like, redemption for R1... Big time.

BTW- Wolfhounds are not too shabby, HUGE step up from panther.

#32 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostCranial Enigma, on 19 January 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

At least all of the mechs in the resistance 2 pack have some use, and the Mauler/Crab are both fantastic mechs. You could have been one of the poor fools who bought clan wave 2 fully and only got the hellbringer as a good mech. Eventually PGI will give something to the myth lynx, Ice fridge, and Mr. Gargles. Well the Ice fridge has some uses but that is about it.

(starts petting invasion gargoyle, and mist lynx "its going to be alright PGI hasn't forgotten about you I promise!")

Ha ha, i relate to this fully.

Clan 2 and Resistance 1 were both complete tonk.

Thank god Resistance 2 was damn good. Clan 1 was still the best imo, but then it had tons of mechs. Resistance 2 and Phoenix are on par in my opinion.

The only one i didn't get was Clan 3. I really wanted an Executioner, but i went right off clans and switched back to IS.

#33 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

So don't put an XL in. Run an STD and use those sides to soak damage. Yes, they will blow, but you'll still be firing with 3 ML or MPL's and by this time have tanked a lot of damage for a 50-tonner.

It's a Panther without JJ's and lasers instead of missiles in the torso. In other words, it's a very good and tanky if a bit bland light mech, They also run STD engines really well, if you're willing to go with the "light medium" shtick.

No experience with Black Knights or Maulers.

Edited by jss78, 19 January 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#34 Retrospectus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

my wolfhound is easily the best light I ever did pilot, I tend to like brawlier builds on most mechs so I slapped and XL in and elited it. 5 medium pulses at 136 kph is pretty devastating. small profile too, the amount of times I've taken a wrong turn or chase a wounded mech too far and run into a whole enemy lance and then weaved through them and escaped.....
(hell on frozen city I went in through the tunnels to get behind enemy, when I got to the end I got pounced by two mediums and a light, already fell off the ramp so it was too late to turn around so I ran through the enemy team advancing on my team. no idea how I survived it)

#35 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Armor helps.

And the Mauler is serious business, strap 4 uac5s and 13 tons of ammo into that beast and go dakka everything you come across.

#36 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

R2 mechs are my most-used mechs. Black Knght is consistently my best performer. Crab and Mauler are beasts and the Wolfhound is pretty decent for an IS light.

#37 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

The Vindicator is bad. The loyalty Wolverine is bad. None of the R1 or R2 'Mechs are bad, with the possible exception of the Panther 10P.

The Wolfhound is probably the third best light in the game after the ACH and FS9, the Crab is tankier than a Centurion with STD, the Black Knight had a rocky start then got fixed and is now quite good, and the Mauler carries firepower second only to the King Crab and Daishi but with way better hardpoints. I think OP may have confused "not the new meta cheeselord crutchmech" with "bad."

#38 MechWarrior5081902

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Okay so the consensus is R2 was not the mech's I should have purchased, they are okay, but not the best. Which ones are the best ones, or what someone called "meta crutch mechs"? Since several of you said I was obviously too bad of a player to play the R2 ones to any effect.

What are the "meta crutch mechs" I should get? ...and don't say Blackjacks, because those are getting nerfed (after I purchased them with $$$ of course, thanks PGI)

#39 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Im on my way to elite the black knight and I swear I've taken more AC10/20 shot to the face then anything but it rolls damage so good, sucks for anything long range but is a pretty energy brawler.

I've since mastered my CRB-27B and found they're a very good skirmisher but can't go in a head on fight like other mediums, gotta play'em like lights almost.

Nothing to say about MALs haven't used them yet.

#40 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostPrimal Vengeance, on 19 January 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

What are the "meta crutch mechs" I should get?

None of them. First, I suggest you take a few minutes and watch some tutorials (there are plenty of fan made tutorials, poke around YouTube), maybe watch a live streamer that's also a good player (not me, TBH, I'm kinda mediocre, but you can watch me do a bunch of stuff you aren't supposed to do).

Hopefully, after that you will have a better idea how to best utilize what you already have. Very few mechs are outright unplayably bad, unless you kit them out poorly. You obviously have a bunch of mechs at this point, the next step is learning how to get results from them.

I also recommend playing some of the trial mechs, find mechs that move in a way you like, and weapons you like, and maybe you can find a way to put weapons you like on a mech that moves in a way you like. (You might find you like how the Ebon Jaguar trial handles, but hate its guns; and find you like the punch of the Gauss Rifles on the trial Dire Wolf, but despise how it moves... Well, you can throw a pair of Gauss on an Ebon Jaguar easily enough.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users