Ideal Map

4 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

The new map got me thinking about what an ideal map is. The new map is getting a really split reaction. Seems to have very strong feeling for or against. But what would be something more ideal.

What I think would make an ideal map....

1. Caters to more than one play style. I think the ideal map would foster many play styles and be dictated not by the map but by how the teams are setup and play.

2. Has levels of play. One problem with the new map is it is flat with a few small gullies and hills. So any angles it fosters are basically on a 2d plane. I find it much more interesting to have a map that has 2 or 3 or more levels of play. And these levels should have ramps with easy access to all mechs not just smaller jump jetting maps.

3. Varied cover so you are not just hill humping. Some mechs are better at peaking around tall cover and some at peeking over hills. It would be best to have both.

4. No central feature. I very much dislike one central feature maps. Only a few maps get away with it like Mining Collective. But for mining collective you have higher points around the center you can shoot down on it. That way it does not command the entire map. I also dislike maps with big mountains in the center you cant move over or fire from. Having the large mountains funnels people around the edges.

5. Has many areas of play. I very very much dislike maps that funnel people into certain areas and dictate very limited fighting areas.

6. Does not have sharp bumps, roots, jagged rocks and other things on the ground to stop mechs.

7. Has good frame rates and is optimized well.

8. Has decent visibility.

9. A decent amount of color. The universe is not made up of just drab colored places only. Yes you can have some of these but there is no reason to have every map having such a limited color pallet.

10. Some maps should look alien and strange. The designers literally have the entire universe to work with yet the maps tend to all look like they are on earth or something very close to it. Really they are only limited by their imagination.

11. Sense of scale. Most maps do not give you any sense of scale of your mech or of the planet in general.

More to come when I have more time. Add suggestions of what you think an ideal map would have.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 20 January 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#2 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

Yup, was out on the back deck last night. The Sun was out... again. ;)

Posted Image

#3 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

I was wondering the other night about a map adaptation from the Mario Kart vs maps... Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer. Don't get me wrong though, I like all the current maps too..

Posted Image

This is just one example and of course it would have updates and more details.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cdlord, 20 January 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

4, 5, 6 and 8 are all huge pet peeves for pretty much everyone.

but 2 and 10 are the ones i want. i kinda would like more 3d maps, with underground complexes, elevated areas (of the fall and you are legged type) like bridges. water could probibly be used better. mech would get slowed down based on % submerged, and any weapons that travel through water get their range and velocity nerfed, other weapons would be suppressed entirely. river city would play very differently if you could get into that reservoir (and it was deep).

i am also really tired of things like boring gravity and earthlike locales. i want more extreme environments. high gravity, low gravity (make it noticable, effects use of jump jets and projectile drop), atmospheric density (affects weapon ranges, heat sinks), variable temperature (sync day/night cycle to temperature cycle). space maps should have proper heat conductivity (that is none at all).

1 is probibly the only one in the op's list that i disagree with. where maps are more or less general purpose. i like it when maps encourage players to use a particular play style that pushes them a little out of their comfort zone. the new map is a prime example. a mechwarrior should be prepared to fight in any environment, not just what they like. i dont want a situation where all the maps are more or less the same. i have nothing against a little flexibility but i dont want the gameplay to get stale.

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Since I failed to answer the OP in my earlier reply...

1. Agreed
2. We have this, subtley, so it requires more thought and tactics.
3. Agreed
4. Central features can be useful. Don't be a lemming.
5. Alpine is one of the best examples of this.
6. Annoying but they have their purpose. As more elements of destructible terrain are added, we'll have fewer problems here.
7. Agreed though I haven't seen anything recently that doesn't do this.
8. yes and no. Should conform to rock/paper/scissor with the vision modes we have.
9. Yes and no. Yes the universe is made up of color, but these planets were terraformed to be like Earth/Terra. The alien fauna should be kept at a minimum (shich so far is).
10. See answer for #9.
11. Yes. WoWS is the best example I can think of off hand for this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users