Pgi Fix Your Priceing For Canadian Players.

56 replies to this topic

#1 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

So i was just lookin at the cost of iic mechs, lookin to get myself an xmas gift... 80$ package is 120$ canadian... wtf??? a canadian company shouldnt be charging canadian players in usd... were payin 50% more!! wth...

#2 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

What about we Oceanic player?!!!1111one
$80 is more than a month's rent over here.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostWarblood, on 21 December 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

So i was just lookin at the cost of iic mechs, lookin to get myself an xmas gift... 80$ package is 120$ canadian... wtf??? a canadian company shouldnt be charging canadian players in usd... were payin 50% more!! wth...

Based on my Canadian friend minimum wage there is higher too, just saying.

#4 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 21 December 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

Based on my Canadian friend minimum wage there is higher too, just saying.

And gas is $4.50 a gallon CAD.

And a house where PGI is will run you a million. Legit million. For a small house.

Edited by Cavale, 21 December 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostCavale, on 21 December 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

And a house where PGI is will run you a million. Legit million. For a small house.

Crazy how prices are over the world.

#6 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostCavale, on 21 December 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

Don't expect it to get any cheaper. These are the good old days when a small house is only a million. Hope and dreams don't come cheap, just be quiet and pay up.

#7 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

PGI can't fix the value of the Canadian dollar.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

I am going to be brutally honest here. MWO benefits greatly from a weak Canadian dollar. The wellbeing of the game developer trumps the financial hardships of the Canadian player base.

Local pricing adds another layer of complexity, webdesign, marketing and human input.

If it was in PGI's interest to cut you a break they already would have done so.

#9 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

View Postxengk, on 21 December 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

What about we Oceanic player?!!!1111one
$80 is more than a month's rent over here.

That's insane, account should be able to bind with a bank and rent address like paypal and have it's price adjusted for that country. I doubt anyone would buy a rent in another country to open a bank account to get lower price since then they wouldnt get lower price.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 21 December 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

That's insane, account should be able to bind with a bank and rent address like paypal and have it's price adjusted for that country. I doubt anyone would buy a rent in another country to open a bank account to get lower price since then they wouldnt get lower price.

Issue is that the pricing works both ways. If you were selling something for 10 dollars and a person only gave you 10 dollars of their own currency but you ended up with only a dollar of your own you wouldn't be giving your product to that person.

#11 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 21 December 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Issue is that the pricing works both ways. If you were selling something for 10 dollars and a person only gave you 10 dollars of their own currency but you ended up with only a dollar of your own you wouldn't be giving your product to that person.

Yeah, if that thing i was selling wasnt immaterial and digital it would actualy affect my production and profit. So i wouldnt do a pure conversion, just an adjustment.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

One day the CDN dollra will be out the pit and pricing will be decent again.

Unfortunately there is nothing PGI can do about global economics :S

#13 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

If they priced in Canadian dollars there is NOTHING that would prevent U.S. players from contacting a player in Windsor or Niagara Falls and having them buy a mech package and then gifting it to the U.S. player.

PGI's American income stream would be lessened by people setting up intermediary gifting arrangements as side businesses.

Edited by Spheroid, 21 December 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Couple points

1: The USD is the world reserve currency. Basically every large company (like the ones PGI buys servers from) takes USD and it's pretty easy to get every local currency exchanged into USD.

2. Blame your government for devaluing your currency to aid exports after the price of oil plummeted.

View PostSpheroid, on 21 December 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

If they priced in Canadian dollars there is NOTHING that would prevent U.S. players from contacting a player in Windsor or Nigeria Falls and having them buy a mech package and then gifting it to the U.S. player.

PGI's American income stream would be lessened by people setting up intermediary gifting arrangements as side businesses.

Yup, that's a big problem with localized pricing for digital goods. I'll admit that I'd definitely set up shop in the cheapest place possible that happens to be a tropical paradise and get a bunch of codes to give out at a lower price than you'd pay in america but that leaves enough meat on the bones for me to live in comfort.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 21 December 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#15 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

2. Blame your government for devaluing your currency to aid exports after the price of oil plummeted.

LOL! You best stay out of the Global Economic Monetary Business dude. That is not how it works...

This place is funny and ignorant of its own ignorance, all at once. A spectacle to behold really.

#16 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

Gas is cheap as hell in Argentina. The Government went to the oil companies and told them to make their cash off of exports, passing cheap gas to the people for consumption. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Edited by xMADCATTERx, 21 December 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#17 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostxMADCATTERx, on 21 December 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Gas is cheap as hell in Argentina. The Government went to the oil companies and told them to make their cash off of exports, passing cheap gas to the people for consumption. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

So what you are telling me is that I should be sailing to Argentina right now with a few hundred empty barrels so that I may acquire some of that gasoline to sell in Canada.

#18 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

It's good for PGI to be paying most of their overhead in CDN but to be able to charge in USD for their product. Just really bad for Canadians and I'm sure many others. Would be great if they had their packages loaded onto steam where I believe some form of local currency conversion takes place. Maybe they would lose out on sales... or maybe Steam would facilitate a far greater quantitiy of sales like it does for many games and be the best thing PGI ever did. As it is the packs on steam are pretty lousy value so it's hard to tell. If the next Clan/IS full pack goes on steam if would be a good indication though.

View PostxMADCATTERx, on 21 December 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Probably. I'm in BC and pay 106.9/litre right now. For some reason it went up 9 cents a litre despite oil continuing to plummet.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

If they priced in Canadian dollars there is NOTHING that would prevent U.S. players from contacting a player in Windsor or Niagara Falls and having them buy a mech package and then gifting it to the U.S. player.

just dont allow anyone to buy anyone else gifts using canadian dollars? make it so gifts bought for other players have to be in US dollars. you act like its some huge problem when its not.

pgi should really offer some kindve payment system specifically for canadians so they can buy stuff in canadian dollars and not get screwed by the exchange rate.

Probably. I'm in BC and pay 106.9/litre right now. For some reason it went up 9 cents a litre despite oil continuing to plummet.

Because the oil companies in canada basically have a vertical monopoly where they own everything from production, refinement, transportation, and retail distribution of the oil.

Its not in their best interest to lose money just because oil prices are low. So theyve been abusing the fact they own outright or franchise everything between the oil terminals and the gas stations to keep the price of gas as high as they can, so they dont lose money off the fact the overall value of oil is low. The oil companies are gonna be sure they get the same profit either way regardless of the price of oil.

Theres also the fact BC has some of the highest tax rates in canada.

So what you are telling me is that I should be sailing to Argentina right now with a few hundred empty barrels so that I may acquire some of that gasoline to sell in Canada.

Canada's #1 major export is oil. Canada isnt going to allow you to buy cheaper oil from another country and import it to Canada without paying a huge import tax, which would make it not worth doing. Countries regulate their economies with import/export taxes... so the last thing you wanna import into a country is that country's major export LOL.

Edited by Khobai, 21 December 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#20 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostKhobai, on 21 December 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

pgi should really offer some kindve payment system specifically for canadians so they dont get screwed by the exchange rate.

Why? They make more money this way. It's a business.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users