• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRainbow Tiger, Second Life

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

As the title says. It's a sucky lrmfest. Will avoid it as much as possible and even take the penalty for quitting the games. This map sucks.

#2 Snuggles Time

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Yes this map is LRM friendly; just stay in the trenches, don't crest over the top and run radar Dep.

#3 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

It is a horrible map. Just incredibly bad map design.

Sure, it LOOKS nice, but it is incompatible with most of the dominant game mechanics and makes some of the less dominant mechanics completely destructive. The cover distribution on this map is just lousy.

On top of that it takes forever to engage the enemy, which is especially frustrating if you die early in the match, resulting in more walking time than combat time.

Play this map in a Dire Wolf (or similarly slow mech) and you'd wish you could watch paint dry instead.

I played it a dozen times now and I just hate it, even though I always brought the perfect mech to benefit most from this map's shortcomings.

#4 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

I'm fine with the dominant game mechanics to take a hike for at least one map once in a while.

I enjoy the fact that enemy contact takes a while too. My teams actually started scouting and moving in lance formation on post and flank maneuvers.

I will give you that the place must be a pain in a slow assault if you tend to prefer to find your own quarry but then so is Caustic, Alpine and Tourmaline. I'd suggest staying low and fairly close to the team and only commit when you know the main battle has been joined.

Another thought comes to mind and it may or may not apply to your problem: Maybe this map will benefit mechs with less specialized loadouts. I mean I got a fine time with a mech sporting PPCs, Med lasers and Lrms while a few snipers across the field ( a Warhammer with twin gauss comes to mind ) got absolutely wrecked trying to force the situation in favor of their overly specialized loadouts.

#5 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

View PostSnuggles Time, on 19 January 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

Yes this map is LRM friendly; just stay in the trenches, don't crest over the top and run radar Dep.

AMS? Posted Image

#6 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:42 AM

I've posted this in another thread, but this seems relevant here too.

Fox Weather Channel has something to say.

Posted Image

That is all. Proceed as usual, gentlemen.

#7 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

The map is fine. The nascar kills it. people really need to change their movement behavior for this map.
Hopefully these new movement skills are transferred to other maps.

#8 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

All maps must be the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same, the same.

From what I've played and that includes getting NARCed early and being turned into scrap within 2 seconds. This map is great I just hope it remains free of the "we all must go here" mentality of the other maps.

#9 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

It is by far the most beautiful map of all!
Also: It is much different to the already existing maps due to the lack of cover (just a little) and the wide and open landscape.
It is the only map which supports long distance fights. Finally! This map was more than necessary. It is great and probably (just played it 2 times so far) my new favorite map!

For all the complainers out there:
Equip AMS, stay close to your ECM-Mechs, communicate with your team instead of simple nascar.
And for the Direwolf-Pilots: The Direwolf is much to slow in general, not just on polar highlands! So dont complain about this map just because you took the slowest mech of all! it was the same for Alpine, also it is the same with every other map.

#10 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostRattazustra, on 19 January 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

It is a horrible map. Just incredibly bad map design.

It's awesome map design. Reminds me of maps I played in MW4:Mercs. Don't tell me you think MW4:Mercs has bad map design.

View PostRattazustra, on 19 January 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

Play this map in a Dire Wolf (or similarly slow mech) and you'd wish you could watch paint dry instead.

I play Polar Highlands with my 64.8 kph Warhammer. The pacing is fine.

#11 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:14 AM

It really is all about using items already available to you, sure you might have to remove some of the meta from your mech to fit in an ams with a ton of ammo, but hey, adapt or die. Or forum warrior it if you wish, but then you just come off as a whiner.

#12 Tertius

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

The map is totaly fine and awesome. Finnaly a map where doesn't feel like a MOBA map. Also, it forces teamplay and imho makes scouting by light mechs interessting.

And to the point with LRMs, there are quite some options for coverage, also there's still AMS.

#13 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

PGI needs to make a few more maps just like this one in the map rotation to force people out of the 8+ Small Laser build B.S. and mix things up a bit. I see more mixed load outs in the future that are not so ultra-dependant on easy access to cover supplied by multiple terrain features.

#14 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

I tried with my 8R.... it's not so bad..... :P

#15 SteelBruiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

I love this map. Part of being a warrior is adapting to different environments. And if you take the time to actually explore the map, you'll find there is plenty of cover, you just have to figure out how to use it. And if your mech is tailored to one stye of bruising then you're not going to get to far. My main piece of advice for this map...keep yer tin butt as low as you can get it. It's a sniper's paradise. Also, for those crying about not getting to die soon enough, make use of the lights to find the enemy faster. My KGC and I have had a blast on this map and soon I'll bring my RVN for a romp.

#16 Pathos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Sure, it LOOKS nice, but it is incompatible with most of the dominant game mechanics and makes some of the less dominant mechanics completely destructive.

And that is the beauty of it! Running around in your Thunderwub isn't going to cut it here. If you stay in enemy sight you will get LRMed to death. You need to use firing lanes and tactical maneuvers to get shots off and stay alive.

Edited by Pathos, 20 January 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#17 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Taller rocks/buildings. Currently they're a tad too short.

#18 ASHTAR0N

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

I love this map. Finally we have some space to move, and dont block each other in one chokepoint. The size actually helps it also a lot.

-Scouting is important again.
-Light mechs have enough space to flank etc.
-There is no "official meeting point" where the 2 teams meet 95% of the matches.
-The matches I have played so far also go more back and forward and are less one sided. The team actually has to work tactically and not just try to steamroll everything in a Meta mech
-Also the floor is not flodded with some random rocks or other stuff that block your movement every 2 meters (like caustic or Grim Portico)
-But yes lrms are being used alot on this map, and maybe this is a bigger problem on the higher Tiers, but with Radar Derp I have been able to evade 95% of the lrms

#19 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

I've been having great fun on it. Just take a Radar Dep Module and don't derp around on the hills.

View PostHeuvadoches, on 19 January 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

Will ... even take the penalty for quitting the games.

Then you should be banned for being a selfish, non-participating douche.

Edited by Appogee, 20 January 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#20 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Map is one of the best yet and I don't ever use LRMs. My whole unit last night had a blast playing in it even when we came up against some high LRM teams. There is enough cover in trenches to block LRMs and then user radar derp module. Move up and flank using trenches and then wallop them when you get close. We did that last night and they got upper hand with LRMs and we were patient and punched them in the face once we closed. Rolled them nicely.

Edited by WANTED, 20 January 2016 - 11:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users