Skill Tree

9 replies to this topic

#1 Dethsphere

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

OK, now that the steamers have been with us awhile and have mastered a few mechs, Isn't it now time to give us are old skill tree percentages back?

I like actually feeling a difference in the mechs performance when I am lvling them up.

How long will it be before PGI reworks the skill tree? any word?

#2 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

I enjoy the nerfs tbh, the difference is there but not a huge advantage. Being said, a complete rework or atleast making certain skills ACTUALLY do something would be an ok start.

#3 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I do like the fact that newer players and folks leveling a mech are not hit a second time by non-leveled mechs.

I stopped playing anything but heavies and BJs in the solo pug Q if I want a good chance of winning or making space cash.

#4 the hedgehog

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

I'm okay with it where it is now. don't have as much ballerina mech feeling.

though would prefer improved mech skill tree along with mechs themselves having the mobility naturally.

Edited by the hedgehog, 19 January 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#5 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Apart from the Locust needing less tankiness and more agility (like it had before the changes), everything seems better to me. I like not having a mech perform head and shoulders above it's unmastered self when using the same build. Previously, double basics was such a huge difference that certain builds were nigh unplayable without the perk bonuses. Now, I can take a build on a brand new mech and perform similarly.

It will always be nonsensical to have overpowering perks that preferentially favor more experienced players. If anything, more experienced players having handicaps would make games more interesting.

A lot of people whining about how their team stomps everyone never consider how they could be part of the solution.

Interestingly, I toyed with the idea one time about another way to create a c-bill sink that would change things up a bit:

Mechs degrade over time:
-After you repair x number of armor points on a location, the total armor available on that location goes down by one, to go down a maximum of 10% of the max armor value of that location.
-After you repair an engine y times, you lose 1% of top speed up to 5% total, up to 5% total degradation.
-After you you repair a destroyed location with weapon hardpoints z times, the range or damage of weapons placed in that location decreases by 1%, up to 5% total degradation.

Once a component/engine/mech location is degraded, the only way to get back to new condition is to buy new. Omni-mechs get an advantage in that they can buy a new omni-pod rather than an entirely new mech. Now you have some differentiation and reason for playing omnis when Clan battlemechs roll out in force.

This won't harm the new players that much if you adjust the values I threw out as a SWAG. Maybe it's 3% max or 2% max or whatever, but it's enough that vets with tons of c-bills will probably be spending, repair and rearm comes back into the game in a significant but not game-breaking way.

PGI would need to implement a retreat option - e.g., get back to dropship and you leave with mech intact as-is.

Edited by Dino Might, 19 January 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

Skill tree nerfs are fine, IMO. Dire Wolves have been taken down a notch, which is just what it needed.

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

I'm getting used to the new, more sluggish performance... I'd like to have the old stats back, but if that doesn't happen, how about at least reducing the XP cost of the skill unlocks to reflect the smaller buffs they confer? Anchor turn lost 75% of its effect, but still costs 3500XP, Speed Tweak took a 25% hit but still costs 8500XP... but eliting a chassis is as essential as it ever was because Cool Run and Heat Containment weren't changed, so you still need those double basics to really turn in your best performance.

If that happens, please remember to make Pinpoint cost 0XP because it's frelling pointless (and do the same for Twist X on the Urbie, which gets nothing out of that upgrade at all).

Sigh... wishful thinking abounds.

#8 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

The skill trees were supposed to be placeholders anyway. Just remember what the Pinpoint skill does not do.

The awesome final version is coming any day nowPosted Image . You know, just like with C-ACs.

#9 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Skill tree nerfs are awesome, all problematic mechs were nerfed: Stalkers, Banshees, Battlemasters, Zeuses, Awesomes, Atlas D-DC, Raven 3L, King Crabs, Thunderbolts, Jagermechs, Shadowhawks, Griffins, Kintaros, Trebuchets, Enforcers (2/4 variants), Centurions (3/5), Firestarters.

#10 Parnage Winters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:14 AM

I'd just like trees that actually do something. I'm looking at you convergence.

Nerfs hit before I started playing again so I haven't really noticed it. The only big change that I noticed was when I finally took out a timberwolf was the burn time was hilariously long. Literally "Why would anyone ever want to suffer with this" while giggling at how long it took for a medium laser burn time.

Upside it made my novas, adders,highlanders, king crabs much easier to level up and play.

Edited by Parnage, 20 January 2016 - 01:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users