- - - - -

My First Mech,bad Choice?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Ximinetti

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

With the 25 first matches cbills,i purchased the Mad Dog C. I dont put any omnipod,so i stuck at ballistics. Instead of two gauss rifles,i put a pair of c.ultra autocannon 10,seems that is good versus hurt targets,but if the enemy have full armor,i usually lose the battle. Also,i face a lot of king crabs with full armor and thats my sentence if i find one on frontal battle,because im heavy and assaults focus on heavyes. Also,the problem of those weapons is that they jamming when u shoot a lot,so sometimes when i shoot a lot im at evidence of enemy. With lights i have no problem,the problem was when i face assaults or heavyes with much weaponery. Seems that my first mech is not a mech killer Posted Image

Also,i put the loadout of smurfy website,and u can see how limited im (because limited ammo):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4300c96e8ad9e09

Edited by Ximinetti, 20 January 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

Do not face tank anything as a mad dog.

Might try this build, pretty commmon.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6254afd7b6c78ba

One of the key for clan mech modification is or are pods swapping.

There is a Streak6 or SRM6 build, but they are more brawly like.

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 20 January 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#3 Ximinetti

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 20 January 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Do not face tank anything as a mad dog.

Why?

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostXiminetti, on 20 January 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

Why?

Umm well you don't face tank anything... But anything with large hitboxes is even a worse idea.. Learn to twist.. never stare at an enemy unless firing.

Edited by JC Daxion, 20 January 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#5 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Why?

Well as the shape of the body itself describe "i have a huge nose", I can say it is a magnet for people to aim, but in general your torso will alo get blown off pretty quick. That's why rarely people drop as a brawl/tank mad dog. It is designed for 2nd line suppoert.

#6 Ximinetti

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 20 January 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

Well as the shape of the body itself describe "i have a huge nose", I can say it is a magnet for people to aim, but in general your torso will alo get blown off pretty quick. That's why rarely people drop as a brawl/tank mad dog. It is designed for 2nd line suppoert.

:(

#7 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 20 January 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

makes 1 hell of a missile platform though

#8 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostXiminetti, on 20 January 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

Also,i put the loadout of smurfy website,

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4300c96e8ad9e09

Also, I believe the arm on the mad dog sits pretty low, it will be difficult to shoot-and-cover, side peeking is also not as easy because the cockpit and the arms split far, so you need to expose more of your body.

If you look at Jagermech though, their arm is located pretty high (therefore the location of their main weapons), allowing the to hill-hump better.

Kig Crab on the other hand, well it is big, but people allocate the armor more to the front, something like 100 points and up. That's why they dare to charge against anything lower or equal class (although KGC is 100t already), besides, they have their "DAKKKA" power.

* We often call dakka as a ballistic loadout / boating, means 3-more than ballistic weapon allowing continuoous fire. just imagine AC2 = 2dmg per second (at least). A KGC loads 6xAC2 = 12dmg, plucking you for 10 sec already more than 100 dmg (if they all land that is Posted Image ).

#9 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

If you're using UAC10s, front load your armor, I'm not going to say put zero on the back, but maybe 2-4. UACs need lots of face time, so you need all the front armor you can get.

You won't beat a king crab in a staring contest. I suggest finding a friendly assault and hanging out with it, then shoot anything that is fighting with your buddy. Avoid standing directly behind or in front though, that's how friendly fire happens.

The Maddog's main strength lies in the A side torsos with 3 missile slots each. With everyone playing polar highlands, that means long range missiles, but streaks or normal SRMs are good on smaller maps.

#10 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

And on the topic of first mech....

Mad dog is not really a bad mech, you just need to adjust the playstyle a bit more.

And I suggest stick with mad dog for now, especially that you just finish 25match, I assume you are still new to the mech skill system. In short, you need 3 variant of one mech to allow you to fully level them up, unlocking higher potential of the mech. So, try to get the other 2 variant while they are on sale Posted Image . I hope you don't sell your mech yet as you read this.

#11 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:56 AM

The only issues i have come across playing a mad dog is they feel squishy, so you really need to pay attention on your positioning and never try to trade shot for shot with any other mech.

#12 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

I am a firm believer in the old saying "There is no bad Mech."

Any Mech in my opinion can be piloted successfully, but each mech and variant definitely has a playstyle they are best suited for, as in this case with your Mad Dog... she craves missile support :)

And with something like 6xLRM5... wow, I HATE being on the receiving end of those barrages .. ESPECIALLY when they are set to Chainfire!

Give some missile loadouts a try, you may be surprised at the effectiveness once you get a feel for Lurming.

#13 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Mad Dog isn't a great first mech, but it's far from the worst choice you could have made.

#14 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

MDD C, second favorit clan ballistic boat of mine (right after the warhawl)

I run it like this

MDD C

Frontloaded armor, chainfire both ultras with double tab for maximum screenshake (that way i can endure to facehug).
Just make sure to expose yourself only to the target you are engaging.

runs stupidly cool and is a blast on hot maps like vitric or sulfurous.

Edited by LOADED, 20 January 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#15 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

Two questions that will help me to formulate a response

1) Why did you choose the Maddog in particular as your first mech? Did you like the looks? Did you like the variety of weapons it could carry? Was it because it is the least expensive Clan Heavy (not even sure if it is but answer will help)?

2) How long did it take you to complete the 25 games and would you be willing to make a new account and do it over again?

#16 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

I like the mad dog, it performs well. try to get its omnipods changed and adjusted. Play it with 2 LPL and 3 CERML. its then a little timberwolf meta build.

Or play it wiht 6 SRM6 and some lasers..

you really need to get used to proper twisting and distributing your damage properly, the MDD can protect the CT very well, but sidetorsi blow off rather easily. Yet once a ST is blown off, you can show this CT to your opponent, giving you a nice shield, because damage transfer makes onloy a part of the damage the broken Sidetorso gets shot with being trasnferred to the CT.

6lrm 5 are fun as well, work nice to, but careful because it cna run quie hot. if you have troubles controlling heat go to the testing ground and shoot around until you get used to proper fire cycles without overheating. Matches aren't a good palce to practice this, the consequences are too bad.

ok, found my old post

View PostLily from animove, on 24 September 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

Well in saif cage duel between good skilled palyers I bet on the 6SRM6 wolf. because he alphas out a laod of damage and you are cored, after his 4 lasers are cooled down he should end your pitiful low srm dogs life. Show over before 6 seconds have passed in this cage duel. he could even risk a second alpha + its cooldown penalty which should end your low srm dogs life too.

Well 6lrm 5 are a valid rack of lrm 30, and they come totally without ghostheat and a very low reload time. together with 5 CERML a very much well working build.

my current doggies:

It's mad Bro And yes ammo is in arms, because I want DHS in legs for maps with water. sure risky when the arms are gone, but hey it's mad Bro.
Laz0r Doggy when I want some brian afk apha strike laserbuild. Its kinda between a laser vomit SC and TW with efficiency.
Good Boy lrm 30 at lrm 5 cooldown without ghostheat? Why not. Especially since lrm 5 racks are the best missile/tonnage racks you can get. And still having 5 lasers as bakcup is just well armed for when your opp comes with too much ecm.

Ignore armor distribution, I just filled the tonnage and the rest is anyways personal favor..

its even capable to use lrm 100 with 3t ammo ^^ but ok that won't bring you far. But the visible rain is worth at leats to test it in testing grounds.

you can also try the streak Doge that should server fine, Especially for a new palyer amongst other new players, lock on streaks may work quite well.

But seriously get the energy wepaon arms and Missile Side torsi, because there is where the MDD's fun is. But you need to learn heat handling.

Learn to be patient and approach with the team, those are mid range short range builds mostly, and try to not be the first to engage, this job belongs to mechs with better tanking qualities. preferably stick with another 100t mech like an atlas, direwolf or King crab. And also support them by shooting what they shoot at or try to protect them from lights (as the srm's and streaks are very good workign for this job)

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 January 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#17 Ivan Romatovich Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

Dual u/ac10 Mad dog is a fun mech. I enjoy running it in public matches and sometimes on Vitric Forge. The way I run it is true to it's IS name of vulture, (I look for pre-damaged mechs to finish off as priority #1). As a newer player, don't go charging in looking for solo kills in it. As stated before, support an assault mech or other heavys. Stick and move. You will get focused down for a perceived easy kill. Stay mobile and hit and run. I would not recommend removing as much back armor as some of the builds listed as you're a newer player and will make the mistake of turning your back. I think 10 in center torso and 8's in the sides is good enough for the back until you get the feel for the playstyle.

I've loved the Maddog since MW3, and even though it's not meta, I think it has it's place and can be effective in the right hands.

#18 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostLadyDanams, on 20 January 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

makes 1 hell of a missile platform though

It does and I personally think this mech is best built around missiles. I find the arms rather low for having your primary weapons in them. LRMs or streaks are preferrable. SRMs work too, but this mech is a bit fragile for being that close. I put lasers as backup weapons but I'm usually running it as a streak-boat. Lots of skill needed! (jk).

#19 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

Think about putting the Left Prime arm omni pod on the thing with two LPL's with either one CDHS or one more ton of ammo.

This mech is built for missiles, be it SRMs, SSRMs or LRMs. The lasers also have negative quirks. If you use LRMs, make sure that you have TAG. Then swing it from side to side through the target. Why, well I normally kill mad dogs by CT kills, but I normally loose arms and side torsos before I die in them and that is what I do.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:17 AM

Why?

To put it in better terms a Mad Dog is the following:
*A long range support Mech.
*Is only classified as a Heavy by being 5 tons heavier than a medium.
*is the lightest heavy in the Clan arsenal currently.
*Is effectively the Clan equivelant of a Catapult but 5 tons lighter.
*A king crab is 40 tons heavier than you and has ac/20s that don't jam. They don't jam. Run fool run!

Consider:
*jamming due to the use of UACs. Hold fire to shoot without jam risk at a slower rate. Tap to fire faster at jam risk. Consider LBX or standard ACs if want to avoid this gimmick.
*lasers are hot but light. Consider using large pulse lasers. Energy version of AC10s. Use difference in tonnage to load up heat sinks and maybe missiles. LOAD lower arm actuators!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users