- - - - -

New Here

23 replies to this topic

#21 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

oh....the reason I say to use voice communications in teamspeak 3 is, you can learn more in 5 minutes of talking to someone than hours of research or dozens of hours playing...

And everyone knows the best Mech(their Mech) so take your time.

#22 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Now save them cbills and get 2 more Hunchback varients so you can elite your mech! Also as someone else suggested above the hunchback is one of only 4 mechs to currently have a Clan version, called the IICs. Different mech line as far as skill tree goes but same playstyle on each of the varients, only more tonnage to play with since clan weapons weigh less then their innersphere counterparts. Should be a good mech to go too when you have finished learning all of your innersphere hunch skills. They are not available for Cbills at the moment but they will be available in a few months.

Good luck and see you around.

#23 Moarginplz

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

The Hunchback is probably the best chassis to start with, you made an excellent choice. My general advice to new players is to get variants that teach them different play-styles, so that they learn the different aspects of combat from the same chassis. When I bought Hunchbacks, the three I got were the 4J, the 4G, and the 4P. The 4J will teach you how LRM combat works, and if you're paying attention, how to avoid LRM fire (watch the guys who avoid your missiles). The 4G will teach you how to brawl at close range with an AC20. The 4P is basically a master class in heat management. You can also pick up a 4SP if you'd rather brawl with SRM's than an AC20, they're a bit more forgiving with shot placement.

#24 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

It's already been mentioned to use the Smurfy Mechlab http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab to test out changes you can make to your mech before paying to do them in-game.

You mentioned dying in 3 shots - one thing I do on my mechs is I maximize the armor on side and center torsos, always. I also shift the armor points roughly 85% to the front. So on a 60 armor side torso, it would be 50 front, 10 rear. Sometimes even 52 front, 8 rear depending on mech speed (faster mechs have slightly less chance of being backshot).

I also near-max my arms and legs usually, but I will trim up to 4 points off head, and some off legs, and then arms to free up that extra ton I need for a heatsink or something.

Also, Endo-Steel is a good bet for freeing up tonnage at the cost of some slot space, and Double Heat Sinks help with the overheating.

Edited by MadBadger, 23 January 2016 - 09:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users