Is The Warhammer Ct Soft?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Are any of the other Warhammer pilots finding their CT seems to get blown out *really* fast? I've had several Warhammers have their CTs cored with astonishing rapidity. For a 'mech with a big CT structure boost, it seems to go from red armor to dead very, very fast.

Maybe I wasn't twisting enough, or there was a second 'mech shooting at me that I didn't see. Just curious if the other pilots are having the same experience.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 22 January 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Are any of the other Warhammer pilots finding their CT seems to get blown out *really* fast? I've had several Warhammers have their CTs cored with astonishing rapidity. For a 'mech with a big CT structure boost, it seems to go from red armor to dead very, very fast.

Maybe I wasn't twisting enough, or there was a second 'mech shooting at me that I didn't see. Just curious if the other pilots are having the same experience.

As someone shooting at warhammers all day for the last couple days? It has a lot of similarities to the Hellbringer - as it should being related designs. It isn't necessarily that the CT is huge, but that the Warhammer, like the Hellbringer, has very equal torso distribution as far as hitbox area is concerned. If you stare, it is very easy to select a torso to focus on, however because of the humanoid design, large arms, and those very same equal sized hitboxes, if you attempt to armor roll the design is very forgiving for that.

It's a mech body layout that works against you if you are staring the enemy down but promotes shielding and torso twisting by having such rollable hitboxes. For what the mech is, I do not see it as being especially squishy or vulnerable when played to its strengths. Sure, it is not a Blackjack, but thank god for that. It's just a 70-ton mech with appropriate hitboxes.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 22 January 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#3 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yup I've been cored very easily and that's with max armour.I think it needs a buff like what the Black Knight got.
I don't think the Warhammer is an in your face mech,more of a stand off fire support mech.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Most heavy/assault mechs get CT cored easily its hardly a problem unique to the Warhammer.

#5 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

Depends on the build.

The builds with all of the torso mounted ballistics have to stare down opponents, they get cored.
The PPCs users are getting their arms stripped due to twisting while the PPCs are on cd.

#6 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

I don't think it's unique to the Warhammer. I find more humanoid 'mechs get cored easily because it's easy to figure out where to aim.

Also the default amount of armour the thing has is pitiful. I jacked it all the way up to at least 70. Also wouldn't recommend an XL as those STs are soft, too. Other than that, it seems comparable to most IS heavies in my opinion~

#7 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

I'm maxed armor, pretty thin in the rear, running a Std with PPCs. I *think* I'm twisting OK, but that's impossible to prove. Getting CT cored from the front in about two alphas against Mad Cats and other heavies.

I've had few drops so far where my Warhammer is running around with an open CT. (I think one, and that yellow) I seem to either have armor, or be dead, with very little in between.

My perception is that I'm getting killed easily and quickly in a couple of alphas, but it could be that a second 'mech is also engaging me, or something else I'm not noticing. Just curious to find out if a lot of other Warhammer drivers are getting CT cored fast.

(Come to think of it, it feels a bit like an Orion ...)

I've been running Marauders a lot lately, and I think they have more tankey hitboxes.

#8 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

This is the template I use for my Warhammers, modify leg and arm armor at your discretion. I'm not finding it particularly squishy at all.

Black Widow Template

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

not as bad as Hellbie or Orion were when launched, but a bit. Problem is...dont' want the STs any softer, either.

#10 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

To answer the op yes it is soft too soft but there are other mechs with this same issue as some have stated, glad they gave it structure quirks or it would be horrible.

#11 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

I run my Hammers 50/10 F/R armor on the STs, 74/14 F/R on CT. They are just finishing Basic so have the twist enhancements, however I am not the best twister. That being said I don't just stare at my targets either.

What I am finding is that every death is a CT core (makes sense as I have STD engines currently), and that roughly 40% of those are CT gone while every other component still has armor, quite often yellow (not even orange/red). This is not generally due to taking multi-AC20 or Gauss rounds to the CT, but rather a variety of damage coming in from various weapons/angles ending up on the CT. (The WHM is fairly maneuverable with the STD300 in it so I move and twist quite a bit.)

I find that even as I twist my CT is taking hits, and also that LRMs seem to hit CT a LOT. I am not the best twister or player, so post-death I have been spectating any active WHMs I see, and find mostly similar results on them.

Not saying it is a Warhammer problem because I don't generally play heavies (due to congestion in the queue), and I don't even have them elited yet, so still a ways to go. Also, since it IS the CT taking so much fire, I guess that makes them XL friendly, sorta. Maybe I need to experiment with some XLs in them.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Have you tried twisting to spread damage, rather than staring at the target? I mean I'm often missing my arms and ST's before I hit the dirt...

#13 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

I always end up Zombied by the time I die. I swear, the arms are made of paper which is sad given that is where the primary known weapon of the Whammy is located.

#14 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

Ive Mastered my Black Widow and I run an XL in it because 90% of the time I die from CT being cored. The CT is pretty easy to hit from the front and side even at range. Add in the too hot ER/PPCs and you need a lot of random factors aligning to have really good matches in the mech.

This is definitely a hang back and snipe mech. If you are taking fire from more than one meta mech you are going down fast. Someone else has to tank for you as you put down your ERPPC fire. When your team collapses from deaths, this isnt the mech to bet your money on pulling the win out. I have done it, but you want to be at a lower elevation shooting up with those low slung arms and hope the enemy doesnt have high torso mounted weapons.

Like most Hero mechs, you have to almost be an elite hero to run it.

#15 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'm finding it fairly rare to lose a ST, though it does happen.

#16 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

Nothing wrong with the ct . It's the game. High alpha and focus fire will take you down in 1 second.
Your war hammer can run around with a 70 pulse laser alpha.

Sad part is if they did anything about it people would rage about how long it takes to kill mechs haha

Edited by Monkey Lover, 22 January 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#17 Sangson

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGießen,Germany

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

The damn Warhammers all die like flies, and it feels like their cockpit hitbox was all over the ******* CT. I'm really pissed with PGI ******* this up (my first preordered mech and I played since Beta) while all the other paymechs keep taking AC20 hits with something like 15% health left. If I took as many hits as I pumped in some of the newer mechs before they went available for MCs, I'd be dead five times. I got max armor on all the WHMs, and they all are practically dead if facing any other mech of the same size for more than five seconds (and I do know it's not a brawler).
It's literally unplayable.

#18 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

All my Whammers jave Standard ebgines and are laser boats (except my Widow which runs Gauss).

I haven't felt that the CT is overly soft in them, unless of course I get focused and then any mech goes down quick. Granted its not as tanky as my Marauder but it seems ok.

#19 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Ive found that they run too hot and their center torso is weak. It has about the same survivability as a medium mech despite being in the middle of the heavy range. I wish I had bought the Marauder instead.

#20 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

I'd say that on its own, Warhammer's CT is not soft. But once you factor in the laser vomit and ballistic vomit, that CT starts to look less and less like it's able to take a beating.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users