Is The Warhammer Ct Soft?

37 replies to this topic

#21 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

I'm behind giving the Whammy a small integrity boost personally. I don't even own one but they're not very scary to fight against, sure they hurt but they go down pretty quick too. Not a huge one, but enough to give it a little extra longevity as a fire support mech.

#22 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:04 AM

Its the protruding belly, and knob on the back, no matter what way you're facing there is always CT exposed for somebody who can aim.

Twist speed is kinda crappy in it too, every one of them, and its only made worse by the Skilltree nerf.

Needs side profiling, and stretch the torso hitboxes to cover the sides of its belly, and that would be good enough.

#23 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:39 AM

Quite the opposite for me. I generally die after losing both side torsos. But then again I torso twist like a MOFO to spread damage (former Atlas pilot).

Honestly, thought it felt fine for a 70 tonner. Tad tankier than the CTF, but not much.

#24 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

I run xl340's in all my WHM's and have no issues with the mech. Think it's very tanky and super quick given it's engine cap. If you're having issues with CT coring, try torso twisting with your arms raised(look up). It causes your arms to take the brunt of the damages.

Humanoid mechs with low slung arms have Torso issues regardless, as most MAD pilots will tell you. you have to compensate with learning how to torso twist with your arms higher.

95% of a pilots issues are self inflicted, 3% is the team, 1% is the map, and the final 1% is the mech. Most of the "issues" I see on the forums about mechs needing buffs/nerfs are are because the player isn't using the mech effectively. Just practice with the mech more and just overall moevement practice.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostMister D, on 25 January 2016 - 01:04 AM, said:

Its the protruding belly, and knob on the back, no matter what way you're facing there is always CT exposed for somebody who can aim.

Twist speed is kinda crappy in it too, every one of them, and its only made worse by the Skilltree nerf.

Needs side profiling, and stretch the torso hitboxes to cover the sides of its belly, and that would be good enough.

It would help the CT...but at the expense of making it even more questionable with XLs. It's already borderline (honestly seems to be about in the same boat as Jagers and Cataphracts), but the problem lies in that it really can't mount particularly effective builds with a STD, and it needs that big engine mobility to escape evade and twist.

It's kind of a catch 22, as it already is uberquirked structurally, so I'm not sure what to do to "fix" it. I mean it's not terrible, but it realistically ain't likely to catch on as a "Tier 1" chassis, either. Simple truth being that it's shape, size and low slung arms have conspired (as I figure they would, but hey it's a warhammer so I had to have it, lol) to make it moderately squishy, regardless.

Running "meta inspired" builds and leaving the arms stumps or medium laser bays mitigates this some....but really... why would I buy an Icon only to make it into a pale imitation of something the Grasshopper and Black Knight both do better anyhow?

It'd be like taking an A-10 in a Modern Air Combat game and ripping out the Avenger cannon, so you can pack more weight in missiles and slapping on a pair of General Electric F110-GE-400 turbofans... because they are more "meta". Why even grab the A-10 airframe in the first place then? Because you think your F-14 looks cooler with a Warthog skin?

I'll admit, I don't get the appeal.

#26 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

There appears to be a pass through bug with the CT passing damage to your rear CT and coring you out from behind as well

How do I know. It's happened to me a few different times on Highland, shooting at mechs and they are shooting back at me, back carefully shielded by being far enough from teammates it can't be them and yet their sensor range covering the rear arc so no SUrPRISE locusts or jenners.

Intact front armor. Gone rear armor and internals. ALL DAY LONG. I was wondering why it was so hard leveling these mechs, and I've narrowed it down to this.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostLugh, on 25 January 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

There appears to be a pass through bug with the CT passing damage to your rear CT and coring you out from behind as well

How do I know. It's happened to me a few different times on Highland, shooting at mechs and they are shooting back at me, back carefully shielded by being far enough from teammates it can't be them and yet their sensor range covering the rear arc so no SUrPRISE locusts or jenners.

Intact front armor. Gone rear armor and internals. ALL DAY LONG. I was wondering why it was so hard leveling these mechs, and I've narrowed it down to this.

It is funny I find em as squishy, or squishier than my Jagers, Phracts and Orions. :/

#28 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

LOL. I just can't even. The WHM is hands down one of the best mechs they've ever released. The Leader boards have some of the highest number ever, since they started the Leader boards because this mech is near broken atm. The 6D especially, and the 6R falls in at a close 2nd place. The only thing holding the 7S back is that you cant put 3 energy in one torso or else it would right there, but I put 4xLPL and still put up over 500+/game in it. Ive had more 1k damages games in the WHM than all my other mechs combined, to include the EBJ and TBR.

#29 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

Things to make a mech easy to hit.....

1. Square or Circle upper body: A square is easy for the eye to acquire and easy to find the center of. Dividing it into thirds doesn't take much effort and aiming for center mass isn't difficult either, even when adjusting for angle. Circle is easy enough to aim for the center, though harder when at an angle.

2. Easily identifiable CT: The Whammy like many other mechs has the CT basically outlined for you via the way the mech is designed. While not as easy as mechs like the Dragon, the Whammy is cut into thirds vertically.

3. Side Torso Weapons: When you mount big guns in the side torsos you have to face your enemy, giving them the easiest frontage to shoot your CT. With all the Gauss builds, it's no wonder the CTs are hit more often. Some pilots just can't use the arm weapons, but it exposes less of your CT when you fire.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 25 January 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

LOL. I just can't even. The WHM is hands down one of the best mechs they've ever released. The Leader boards have some of the highest number ever, since they started the Leader boards because this mech is near broken atm. The 6D especially, and the 6R falls in at a close 2nd place. The only thing holding the 7S back is that you cant put 3 energy in one torso or else it would right there, but I put 4xLPL and still put up over 500+/game in it. Ive had more 1k damages games in the WHM than all my other mechs combined, to include the EBJ and TBR.

Posted Image+

#31 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

IMX, the Whammie's hitboxes are just fine for standard or XL engines. The CT doesn't strike me as soft at all, these things can tank a lot of damage if you're on top of your twisting.

#32 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Hmm. Sounds like I need to twist more, plus perhaps add bigger engine for faster twisting (My twisting does feel slow). Half my Warhammers run STD 280s and half STD 300s.

How has the XL experience been, for those of you running XL engines? Is it worth the risk?

#33 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

I play my Widow with XL engines and I usually lose one arm and my side torsos are red before my ct or my XL goes boom.
But I might be twisting too much as I keep getting hit in the back when twisting.
Not sure if there are areas on the side that count as rear armor when shooting at 90 degrees...

#34 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 22 January 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

OP's Title: "Is the Warhammer CT soft?"
Yes, when I'm in the Warhammer, NO, when I'm shooting at one...

#35 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 25 January 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

I can also say that I have had more 1K+ matches than any other mech I have owned but I think it just because it totally fits my play style with the load out I have come up with which does not include the broken ppc's (sorry Bishop). I feel a Bishop campaign to fix these is in order!

#36 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

I'm also sticking stubbornly with (sub-optimal) PPCs and ERPPCs, (in the arms!) which should mean I can twist more often, as I don't need to stare at a target at all.

#37 anof

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

Part of the problem might be taking damage from lasers at distance. I have been having a hard time noticing when I am being hit with long range lasers. Normally I just see my armor flashing. I can't see the beam or the direction it came from. This issue is probably because the way lasers taper off over distance was changed in the last patch.

Edited by anof, 25 January 2016 - 01:05 PM.

#38 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

You can't brawl in the Warhammer unless you are backing the other players down. I always take something long range to avoid brawling. My evilest design uses the weapon I hate, but the Warhammer does it well so hate is becoming love. I kinda doubt they will add any CT buffs though. Every mech has weaknesses and the Warhammer is tough compared to the IIc mechs.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users