#61 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 February 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

It was purely a matter of balls triumphing over fear.

Best quote of the day!

And very true from a tactics standpoint. Not only this map, but the team that cowers and pokes will almost always lose to a team that pushes and flanks!

#62 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

I love polar highlands. Even if Im set to be a brawler, short range. I feel I do well. You just have to plan a bit ahead since theres so much flat land with some bumps and trenches and alot of open sky (what up with those clouds anyway??) Cant wait to put my archers to use here. Oh! Gotta try out some of the quiker lights and even my lrm jager, gonna be interesting!

#63 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

Should have done a Starbucks sponsorship for this map, it fits the theme for their new drink ;)

Definitely a tricky map if you are under 75kph, just due to sheer size. But I like it overall. When you can get a good team together that scouts, uses a bit of misdirection, etc. to set up a good push it's magical. This is also a rare map where a Raven 3L with NARC can absolutely ruin a team's day even if they don't do much (if any) direct damage. Gotta give that pilot a tip of the cap even if they're on red team.

Some of my best matches here have been in short ranged mechs, like the Cicada full of medium lasers. I'm new to Blackjacks (not sure they fit my preferred style of play) but had some epic games in a MPL boat. Being 85+kph let me cover a ton of ground and go after enemy bigs and littles alike.

Scout for your team, distract the enemy and use concealment/radar deprivation to the fullest and you can really make life easy for the rest of your mechbros. Can't blame the designers when a pug team doesn't listen to instructions and chases its own lights around on Conquest... though I might like it a bit more if the flags were a bit closer together... :P

#64 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Seriously all these pilots that insist on brawling just no go away, not every map needs a brawling lane for you to hide in. Learn to flank and out think your opponent, funny how some of the highest skill brawlers lack in the catagory being highly inflexible about playing on such a map. How did you guys survive back in other Mechwarrior games...oh wait...

I can't wait for Solaris really just to get the arena jocks out and the Warriors will be able to play more like a realy Mech combat Simulator. It is said that lore builds that wreck in lore and TT are weak as hell in game, like Timber prime should be a good viable build, everyone knows it's a joke to bring it on most maps. Polar Highlands might be the ONLY map where that build could work, using a few LRM's and ER LL's to soften up the opponent and move in for the kill with the ER ML and ER MPL. Tell me how that works on any other map! Point is I like the older MW4 maps, I dislike brawl lanes and corridor combat. I am very happy to see recent map design removing such play styles, meta hopefully will change as well, meaning maybe an LRM rack with a ton or 2 of ammo might be beneficial. Boating needs to go I feel and punishing boating builds with limit quirks would be nice.

#65 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

View PostCK16, on 16 February 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Seriously all these pilots that insist on brawling just no go away, not every map needs a brawling lane for you to hide in. Learn to flank and out think your opponent,

Er, how do you think people get to brawl in this game? There's no such thing as a brawling lane on previous maps: those open corridors are called "choke points," and "fields of fire" - they're an obstacle to brawling. It's hard to brawl on those old maps, unless you're willing to wait impatiently while the rest of the team fights from cover - Polar Highlands changes that up, which is what I love about it (and I guess you do too, though it took me a while to pick what you were trying to say on topic out of your rant.) Short range combat is not going to go away, and were it to do so, the game would be poorer for it.

I have bad news for you though; the reason the stock builds work in Tabletop and not MWO has nothing to do with the map designs, and everything to do with being able to aim - as opposed to playing a dice-rolling map game designed by engineers.

#66 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

I have no problem with brawlers, it's people who brawl in a 48kph death trap that bug me from a team play perspective ;)

#67 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

Aw, it's not a death trap!

... it's a boat anchor.

#68 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 17 February 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have no problem with brawlers, it's people who brawl in a 48kph death trap that bug me from a team play perspective Posted Image

This is kind of my position on it.

I don't think "Slow, short ranged brawler" should be an approach that's perfectly valid everywhere. People like to think that it should be, but IMHO from a logical standpoint if you want to focus on short range, you need to be fast enough to force short ranged combat.

Tiny maps make it work, because there's really nowhere to go and the combats always happen in the same place, so you just go there.

But that's an aberration, not a reasonable result.

Slow+short ranged is fine in, say, CW defense. It's great in close quarters. But it's a tactically flawed build when you have to be close, but cannot force combats to be close ranged.

#69 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Well, it does depend; 52kph - 48K before speed tweak - is risky, but workable. Usually when those guys get "left behind," its because they don't know how to drive their Battlemechs. I know; I've driven those big, slow brawlers. They'll occasionally get picked up by aggressive lights and destroyed, but normally they get "caught" when they stop to try and fight the enemy team instead of just accepting a little long-range damage and moving on to catch up. Or they pick the worst possible routes, or they stumble into the open so the enemy can see that they're slow and alone...

Its gotten to the point where if someone spouts something in match about "Assaults getting left behind," I privately just count it that much more likely that they're a bad player.

#70 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 February 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

Well, it does depend; 52kph - 48K before speed tweak - is risky, but workable. Usually when those guys get "left behind," its because they don't know how to drive their Battlemechs. I know; I've driven those big, slow brawlers. They'll occasionally get picked up by aggressive lights and destroyed, but normally they get "caught" when they stop to try and fight the enemy team instead of just accepting a little long-range damage and moving on to catch up. Or they pick the worst possible routes, or they stumble into the open so the enemy can see that they're slow and alone...

Its gotten to the point where if someone spouts something in match about "Assaults getting left behind," I privately just count it that much more likely that they're a bad player.

Truth. But what can happen is that you keep up with the pack (you almost always can, even in DWF's I have no trouble with that) but can't close to short range effectively if your opposing team doesn't play nice.

But, like I said, if that's happening, it's your own fault for choosing both short range and slow speed.

It's pilot error - either on the battlefield or in the mechlab.

#71 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

I have managed to flank and brawl into the enemy's rear quite a few times... in a trial King Crab!

Its all about patience and using those folds in the ground. Of course, if your team is so chicken as to not push across the battlefield while you're hammering their backs, its all for nothing...

#72 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 17 February 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

This is kind of my position on it.

I don't think "Slow, short ranged brawler" should be an approach that's perfectly valid everywhere. People like to think that it should be, but IMHO from a logical standpoint if you want to focus on short range, you need to be fast enough to force short ranged combat.

Tiny maps make it work, because there's really nowhere to go and the combats always happen in the same place, so you just go there.

But that's an aberration, not a reasonable result.

Slow+short ranged is fine in, say, CW defense. It's great in close quarters. But it's a tactically flawed build when you have to be close, but cannot force combats to be close ranged.

Agree with so much of this :) Even the BT rulebooks talk about mechs like the Atlas being ideal for defensive positions, when the enemy has to come to you.

The extreme builds (short range brawl, or extreme range sniper with little/no backup weapons) work well on faster mechs simply because you can control distance more easily. The faster brawler can pounce on openings, and the fast sniper can reposition as needed without taking their finger off the trigger for too long.

Your point about big vs. small maps is also a great one, with all these big new maps assaults need to know their destination and their routes a lot better, since it takes you forever to redeploy.

View PostWintersdark, on 17 February 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

Truth. But what can happen is that you keep up with the pack (you almost always can, even in DWF's I have no trouble with that) but can't close to short range effectively if your opposing team doesn't play nice.

But, like I said, if that's happening, it's your own fault for choosing both short range and slow speed.

It's pilot error - either on the battlefield or in the mechlab.

Another mistake is that some players catch up with the pack, but they stay at the wrong edge. So when the group pushes, they are quickly left behind again. If they moved up the front when they had the chance, they would be in a better position to support the push with covering fire. Granted, if you have extremely long ranged weapons and clear sight lines this might not be an issue... but that's not always the case

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 February 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

Yep, knowing your routes and picking your battles are essential skills for assault pilots. Sure, if you're marching and you get a Cheetah on your butt with 6xSPL you can't afford to ignore that. But assaults really do make the pilots plan a few moves in advance to make up for their poor speed. Especially if you don't have jump jets, having to take the longer paths around at 50kph is killer.

Assaults can sometimes be victims of circumstance, through no fault of their own, but often a poor performance from an assault is a result of bad planning more than anything else. I know I play a lot more fast and loose in a light/medium where you can get away with it, but personally I really try to coordinate more and stick to the plan if I'm slower than 70kph. Winging it is just way more dangerous when you're slow.

#73 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

It doesn't work like that when your in a super tall mech.

#74 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostRagnahawk, on 09 June 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

*looks at post date*
*looks at previous post date*
Thread Necromancy strikes again!

#75 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

It's because I linked to this thread in another post - not really his fault.

You mean like my Atlas? Trust me; it works - LRMs are a bit out of kilter here, but it just means you have to be aggressive in your mobility.

#76 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

Posted Image

#77 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

Nothing wrong with resurrecting this one since the message OP is trying to send is still more than valid. In any case it is irrelevant how tall your mech is, if all you do is hiding, you and your team is going to get rekt. Aggression is key, as well as team movement and support.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 10 June 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#78 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

The key to Polar Highlands is to keep moving. As soon as you get bogged down, your in trouble and you need to pick a spot to push before you get overran. Even in Domination, flank left or flank right because your going to be picked to death from all sides when your a stationary target.

#79 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:34 AM

Since I'm seeing another outbreak of complaint threads on the map feedback forums, it's time to bump this post. =)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users