• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

I love the game, I really do, but coming back in after Steam release has changed some things for me. I have my 'mechs, but trying to get into them again is still rough, despite trying new things and all sorts of stuff.

I'm thinking about taking it back to square one and choosing a chassis and just running it in quick play. I've found a nice group and we plan to "rolepllay" a merc lance in quick play. I've got my character and I'm trying to decide what chassis he should pilot. These two things coincide in a nice way.

I started the game trying mediums, Hunchbacks and Wolverines, but my initial favorites don't seem to be my top performers anymore. I get gutted when trying to pilot my Hunchbacks, My Wolverines go slightly better. I can kind of brawl in them, but it's hit or miss. My 6k is a one trick pony and can get neutered, much like what seems to happen to my Stalkers nowadays, which is a new feeling for me. My Stalkers used to be my best 'mechs, now I find them getting stripped or cored out VERY quickly. Even if I try to wait for a brawl to happen.

I've had the most success with the Quarantine, and I've been trying heavier brawling 'mechs like the Atlas. If I pick my moments I can alpha any 'mech I want off the field, and it's more durable than a 55 ton 'mech.

I'm just looking for something that isn't going to get turned into a pile of scrap of I make one mistake. Ease of use is a plus, as is a standard engine. I don't know if there is a "braindead" 'mech, but it would be nice. I just want to chill out and pilot a robot with my friends, is that possible?

#2 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

I would recommend staying with mediums or heavies as if you make a mistake in an assault it is normally more punishing because of the lower turn ratios and top speeds. Maybe you can also try running a clan mech so losing a side torso is not the end of the world, or you can also run some IS heavies that don't need XLs to perform well. Some specific recommendations are as follows:
Thunderbolts- SE and SS are the most popular variants supporting large pulse and medium pulse builds respectively. There are other competitive set ups you can run for these but the quirks are just too good to pass up for most. Plus no XLs required.
Stormcrows- This may be old news but the stormcrow still holds the crown in clan mediums for me, so picking one up can never be a bad thing. If you are going for more 'historical' builds and such the stormcrow has enough omnipods that most builds will work. I personally have one set up like Star Captain Kotare sporting 4 ER Medium lasers in the right arm a pair of Streak SRM-6s in the left torso, and a LRM-20 in the right torso.
Black Knight- Newly available for C-bills, the Black Knight is a laser boaters dream with some crazy potential firepower. There are some issues with hit boxes but this means that lots of the 'meta' builds you see run a XL because of how hard it is to actually hit the sides (This could also be affected by the fact that there are just so few around as of now so this may actually change). Also this mech is fairly new to the general population meaning that many pilots will still be learning the hard points and tactics for taking them down, adding to your survivability for the time being.
Ebon Jaguar- I would put this into the same category as the Black Knight as the hit boxes are pretty huge when you get the shoulder packs on the side torso, BUT it makes up for it in its massive pod space and ridge peaking abilities (if you can use them right). Lots of different hard points to choose from and no one 'meta' build to tie you down so this may be worth a look. Aannddd it also looks bad ***, that counts for something I'm sure.

TDLR: Thunderbolt, Stormcrow, Black Knight, Ebon Jaguar

The mech lab is your oyster so go make it yours

~Dark

EDIT: Fixed spelling errors (happens every time Posted Image)

Edited by Darkspart3n, 22 January 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#3 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

From what you say, the meta has changed a lot from the last time you played. Right now the current meta is medium/large pulse laser ALPHA strikes. If you play anything else (like dakka or lurms, you are playing the game wrong apparently), the community isnt going to be nice to you. Laser focused mechs are currently very popular right now, and learning to survive massive laser alpha strikes will help.

If you want a more 'laid back' type of gameplay, I recommend playing a catapult (really any variant is fine). If you are willing to play fast and loose with the meta, get a KGC-0000, put in 2 LRM 15's, 2 large lasers, a couple machine guns and a 325 standard engine. Or if you like the dakka, get a KGC-000 with quad AC5/UAC5s. They may be slow, but any mech unfortunate to come across you is going to get ****** up. Stalker is still a good mech, but pretty much the only meta build for it is a bunch of large lasers strapped all over it. Not the most compelling playstyle, but its inline with the meta.
Or if you want to live a little dangerous, pick up a marauder pack. Load one up with a gauss, 6 medium lasers and a standard engine and you can certainly ruin anyone's day real quick.

Aside from what was already mentioned by darkspart3n, thats what I have the most fun in. But honestly, the atlas isn't the best brawling mech, but the D-DC is the best variant of the atlas and does fairly decent compared to other brawler assault mechs.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Starting again? Probably a medium.

For relaxed play... Battlemaster 3S (1S? Whichever has 4 missile hardpoints). Load up 4 LRMs; 2 10s 2 15s. 3 ML or MPL. 1 TAG. Lots of missiles. XL 330 engine. Hang back a little, lob missiles and after softening them up deliver the killing blows. Quite relaxing; very capable of defeating the occasional light pest that comes up. Extremely capable of handling a 'softened' enemy assault or heavy mech with ease.

#5 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

i'm a shadowcat fanboy form the old days, but they're still very nice little units. I enjoy the gauss, but each their own. Advise putting a laser or two on for longevity though.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 January 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Starting again? Probably a medium.

For relaxed play... Battlemaster 3S (1S? Whichever has 4 missile hardpoints). Load up 4 LRMs; 2 10s 2 15s. 3 ML or MPL. 1 TAG. Lots of missiles. XL 330 engine. Hang back a little, lob missiles and after softening them up deliver the killing blows. Quite relaxing; very capable of defeating the occasional light pest that comes up. Extremely capable of handling a 'softened' enemy assault or heavy mech with ease.

BLR-1S, I think. M hard points in LT, LA, and RA.

If you like to brawl, that's also a good one. I run mine right now with 3x LPL and a MPL, but that ain't the best loadout. Also a STD 340, I believe (or maybe STD 325). Anyhoo, BLRs CAN brawl, even if they're NOT the masters of it. I have fun with my BLR-2C (5x MPL, 2x ASRM-6, 2x AMS) up close. Had a great time in a PUG drop a couple nights ago in that, where the assault lance (BRO LANCE!) went on a rampage on Terra Therma and just crushed. Battle. Miss Master if you're nasty...

OR that BLR-1G(P) that runs reasonably cool with 5x ERLL? Sure. FUN, and a money-maker in CW.

I will go ahead and endorse the Battlemaster. There's something there for just about anybody. With that high engine cap (400, IIRC), it can be pretty quick for an assault mech (speed tweaked with a STD 340 325 is 66.6 km/h, so imagine the possibilities if you can stomach an XL!). It can carry a variety of good weapon systems, and can boat the best IS meta weapons very well. Forgiving enough, too, without being easy-mode.

Also, Warhammer so far seems fairly STD-friendly. I'm running anything between 280 STD and 340 XL in them, and they hold up well enough (CT is a bullet magnet, it seems).

Thunderbolt is a solid mech. It's pretty much the IS meta-heavy.

Quickdraw is impressing me lately.

Blackjack is OP AF ATM. Even if the nerf hammer does swing down on it, though, I expect it's back to stay. Ultimate sleeper? BJ-1DC, XL 225, GAUSS, 4x ML. Has a generic 25% ballistic cooldown. Add a Gauss cooldown module (another 12.5% buff), and you're looking at less than 2.9 seconds cooldown after the Fast Fire skill. I have one working up through ELITE right now, and I timed it in Testing Grounds. Ignore the charge-up time, and the Gauss cooldown matches the MLs to within about 0.1 seconds. The -1DC is generally the least-popular of the BJ family, but I love it because it's keeping Gauss in the game. And still cruises an un-tweaked 81.0 km/h in that loadout. As long as you're not hooked on missiles, the Blackjack chassis is pretty special right now.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 22 January 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#7 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

I don't own a heavy yet, and the three mentioned here are the black knight catapult and the Thunderbolt. Mastering one of those could get me back into the swing of things. Now I just have to pick one I guess...

#8 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

For 'relaxed' play, you don't want any kind of brawler, and even mid-range mechs subject you to a lot of PPFLD.

I find my most relaxing mechs, that let me just run around and choose my fights and have fun, are ECM harassers. ECM Raven with ERLL, ECM Cicada, prob the ECM Shadowcat although I don't own that. Using whatever long-range weapons you prefer.

That way, you can scout, spot, ECM cover + support, long-range snipe, jam enemy ECM, it's pretty flexible.

The second most relaxing would probably be long-range support. Either something like a LL, ERLL or LPLS Tbolt, or even a STK-5M with LRM+Tag and lasers for backup (it holds enough lasers to be threatening even at close/mid range).

Some Stalkers work well when you shift from brawly builds to (again) LL, ERLL or LPL builds with some mediums for close-in work.

ECM Hellbringer has some nice options also.

#9 DannDruid

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

to really relax you need speed-max engine and less ammo means more flanking opportunities in any mech.if you are running with a group of 3-4 friends a light pack of ecm mechs is fun for you and death for any assault that gets left behind the pack..so spider 5d,commando 2d, pirate's bane,arctic cheaters etc...can be very relaxing and fun

#10 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostDannDruid, on 23 January 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

to really relax you need speed-max engine and less ammo means more flanking opportunities in any mech.if you are running with a group of 3-4 friends a light pack of ecm mechs is fun for you and death for any assault that gets left behind the pack..so spider 5d,commando 2d, pirate's bane,arctic cheaters etc...can be very relaxing and fun

I've got some Cicadas that I could work on. I think one of the variants has ECM, I may buy that one,

If I was looking for something "durable" and forgiving, what would you recommend? A Thunderbolt?

#11 The Hig

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

I would agree that durable and forgiving would bring you to the Thunderbolt. Load up the 3 LgPulse standard engine build and left click all day. Tank some and do some damage..

Personally I have them mastered and they are fun and low stress builds really.

Now if you want fun but the stress of paper thin armor ..the Mad Dogs are on sale. I have picked up the Prime, A and B variant and really like the A variant with 6 srm 6 and the lbx 5 it comes with.  Take the stock mech lose the PPC and replace with armor and heat sinks. Poke some with the AC , more for kicks than damage, with really low heat build up.  Then pick a target engaged by others and swoop in for that srm 36 alpha!  Super fun but it is a finesse stick and move mech for sure. also you can lose the Lbx and go ac5 for same tonnage. Or dump balistics all together but adding lasers adds heat. Just keep all those glorious srms!

It says brawl with those srms but you will not win one on ones with much of anything.  However I am averaging 3-500+ dmg and have 24 Battles, 30 kills 12 deaths for the best KDR starts of 2.50 on any mech I have. Admittedly with a low number of battles but fun factor of 11.  Picking them up with like 4mill cbill discount is a great buy as well.  I was all IS but dabbling in Clan Tech with the Cbill sales.

Good luck!

Edited by The Hig, 23 January 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostBreidr Breidsson, on 23 January 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

I've got some Cicadas that I could work on. I think one of the variants has ECM, I may buy that one,

If I was looking for something "durable" and forgiving, what would you recommend? A Thunderbolt?

TBolt is NASTY. Good durability, on par with the lighter end of the ASSAULT class. Basic meta builds are also pretty fun in the public solo queue. NOT the best out there for BALLISTIC weapons (like the BLR chassis), but otherwise solid.

Another thought. Consider Catapults. A.) The LRM is trying to make a comeback. B.) The K2 is the original Gauss/AC/20 spammer. C.) JESTER may be the best Hero mech in the game, and is at least MY personal favorite hero ATM. D.) Missile-carrying variants don't HAVE to carry LRMs, and you may remember the SplatCat and StreakCat from back in the day. VICIOUS. E.) SLEEPER A F.

Seriously, I LOVE the JESTER! Dual-AMS, for one thing. With the return of the LRM apparent, that's pretty valuable (and don't forget that AMS works against SRMs and SSRMs). 6 E hard points, including 2 in the arms (one each) that are HIGH mounted and well-suited for hill humping. XL friendly. JUMP JETS! When this thing came out, JJ heavies were fairly uncommon, and that made this a BIG advantage for the JESTER. It can be fairly quick, too. You can load all sorts of varieties of ML, MPL, LL, ERLL, and LPL, and just get crazy with the Cheez Whiz!

#13 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for all the help and discussion. As a birthday present I plan on grabbing the Thunderbolt mastery pack and giving it a whirl. It seems like a solid chassis and lots of wubbs will be had. I'll keep an eye on the Catapult, but the thought of an XL Engine makes me a bit queasy right now.

#14 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

To me, "relaxing" means at least not being very situational or dependent on team-mates. Something that'll perform OK whereever, and with whomever, you have to drop.

I'd forgo lights -- they're kind of high-risk, high-reward. Can be super good, but I'm not sure "relaxing" describes the effort of making them work.

I'd then skip assaults -- too dependent on buddies for support, liable to be abandoned and left helpless.

I'd finally skip mechs with super specialized weaponry, which are again too situational to (easily) work everywhere. So no SPL boats or LRM boats.

That leaves mediums and heavies, with weapons that cover most usual combat ranges and situations. That includes a lot of mechs -- the ones I personally come back to are Shadow Hawks and Blackjacks. Good high-mounted guns with good range, you never really feel uncomfortable in them. But Thunderbolt sounds good too.

Edited by jss78, 24 January 2016 - 01:25 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users