- - - - -

Locust Pick.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

since their on sale i'm wondering which locust to get?

I have the 1V and the 3S.

#2 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

The 3M and 1E are good deviations from your current variants as the 3M and 1E are both laser focused variants with very nice laser quirks. Popular builds include small pulse spam on both and a 3 small and 3 medium build for the 1E, but both are pretty good with the 1E coming out with better quirks and the 3M with a center mounted laser if you happen to lose your arms. If you are willing to spend real money the pirates bane is very strong due to the torso mounted lasers (good for survivability of your weapons but bad in fire arcs) and being able to equip ECM.

TLDR: 1E=PB>3M

~Dark

#3 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

View PostDarkspart3n, on 21 January 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

The 3M and 1E are good deviations from your current variants as the 3M and 1E are both laser focused variants with very nice laser quirks. Popular builds include small pulse spam on both and a 3 small and 3 medium build for the 1E, but both are pretty good with the 1E coming out with better quirks and the 3M with a center mounted laser if you happen to lose your arms. If you are willing to spend real money the pirates bane is very strong due to the torso mounted lasers (good for survivability of your weapons but bad in fire arcs) and being able to equip ECM.

TLDR: 1E=PB>3M

~Dark

yeah i went with Pirate's Bane and oh god do i love it!

Also i think the Clans have some lights on sale anyone know what'd be a good pick?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 21 January 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#4 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

be sure to check out the underrated locust thread. might want to start at the end and work backward.

http://mwomercs.com/...errated-locust/

#5 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 21 January 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

yeah i went with Pirate's Bane and oh god do i love it!

Also i think the Clans have some lights on sale anyone know what'd be a good pick?

Thats great to hear! There is nothing better than finding a mech you can't get enough of.

As for clan lights all of them are relatively good for their designed purposes but I can only really recommend the Adder/Arctic Cheetah/Kit Fox. They are all different and have unique strengths and weaknesses, but only the adder is on sale right now for this event. The Adder is great because of its huge amount of pod space and clan XL engine perks. It does fall short in the speed department as well as a complete lack of jump jets. Finally not having ECM puts this mech below the Arctic Cheetah and the Kit Fox for some people but I feel that it is really about preference as the builds for the AC / KF are much more strict and straight forward.

TLDR: If you have the money pick up a Adder, see how you like it and if you don't you can always just sell it.

~Dark

#6 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostDarkspart3n, on 21 January 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

Thats great to hear! There is nothing better than finding a mech you can't get enough of.

As for clan lights all of them are relatively good for their designed purposes but I can only really recommend the Adder/Arctic Cheetah/Kit Fox. They are all different and have unique strengths and weaknesses, but only the adder is on sale right now for this event. The Adder is great because of its huge amount of pod space and clan XL engine perks. It does fall short in the speed department as well as a complete lack of jump jets. Finally not having ECM puts this mech below the Arctic Cheetah and the Kit Fox for some people but I feel that it is really about preference as the builds for the AC / KF are much more strict and straight forward.

TLDR: If you have the money pick up a Adder, see how you like it and if you don't you can always just sell it.

~Dark

Yeah i've felled 2 Atlas with it. think i'll call it Atlas Bane.

I could use the Adder trial to see what the Adders like. The Arctic Cheetah sounds like my cup of tea. Though i guy i've played with mentioned the Myst Lynx as a clan light for me to look at.

#7 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 21 January 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yeah i've felled 2 Atlas with it. think i'll call it Atlas Bane.

I could use the Adder trial to see what the Adders like. The Arctic Cheetah sounds like my cup of tea. Though i guy i've played with mentioned the Myst Lynx as a clan light for me to look at.

Definitely use the trials to get a feel for them and the Myst Lynx (while not a bad choice when equipped with ECM) is the lightest clan light at 25 tons and only two laser hard points when running ECM, but then again the locust is only 20 tons so you never know.

~Dark

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

View PostDarkspart3n, on 21 January 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Definitely use the trials to get a feel for them and the Myst Lynx (while not a bad choice when equipped with ECM) is the lightest clan light at 25 tons and only two laser hard points when running ECM, but then again the locust is only 20 tons so you never know.

~Dark

My best (well second best) locust is the 1V with the one ERL and i do have Ravens so i'm used to low weapon count lights.

#9 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

The Pirate's Bane is not on sale. That said you did well to buy it and get its useful 190XL. Since Locusts cost nearly nothing stock the fact that they are on sale Is somewhat immaterial.

The Locust hierarchy goes 1E = PB > 3M > 1M > 1V > 3S > 3V.

#10 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 21 January 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

The Pirate's Bane is not on sale. That said you did well to buy it and get its useful 190XL. Since Locusts cost nearly nothing stock the fact that they are on sale Is somewhat immaterial.

This. What savings you make is about as much as putting on endo or ferro on a heavy mech. You will end up paying through the nose for DHS tax, however.

#11 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:17 AM

1E >>>>>> 3M & PB >>>> 1V > the rest

The 1E is better than the other variants, by far. 6 high-arm-mounted hardpoints with -25% heat reduction, +25% range and -25% beam duration.
The other viable ones are the 3M and the Pirates' Bane. But the lack of good heat reduction cripple their damage input. And the CT hardpoint on the 3M is awkward and low mounted, so it does not work well with the arm hardpoints. The torso mounted hardpoints on the PB are high, but lack flexibility. But they are still viable, mostly because of the cooldown quirks that compensate a little for having less hardpoints. I'd say the 3M is better, but unfortunately lacks range quirks.
The others are just bad. No explanation required about the missile variants, but about the 1V: even with abused quirks it still lacks firepower. And the hardpoint is so low you need to fully expose yourself in order to shoot, which made a bad poker.

#12 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

View Postepikt, on 22 January 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

but about the 1V: even with abused quirks it still lacks firepower. And the hardpoint is so low you need to fully expose yourself in order to shoot, which made a bad poker.

Oddly i enjoyed my 1V and did well with it. heck i gave Davions hell in CW with it.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:00 AM

View Postepikt, on 22 January 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

1E >>>>>> 3M & PB >>>> 1V > the rest

The 1E is better than the other variants, by far. 6 high-arm-mounted hardpoints with -25% heat reduction, +25% range and -25% beam duration.
The other viable ones are the 3M and the Pirates' Bane. But the lack of good heat reduction cripple their damage input. And the CT hardpoint on the 3M is awkward and low mounted, so it does not work well with the arm hardpoints. The torso mounted hardpoints on the PB are high, but lack flexibility. But they are still viable, mostly because of the cooldown quirks that compensate a little for having less hardpoints. I'd say the 3M is better, but unfortunately lacks range quirks.
The others are just bad. No explanation required about the missile variants, but about the 1V: even with abused quirks it still lacks firepower. And the hardpoint is so low you need to fully expose yourself in order to shoot, which made a bad poker.

This is the correct heirarchy (epikt knows his stuff). The 1E is so far the best it's stupid. Best hard points and best quirks.

Edited by TercieI, 22 January 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

Locusts are becoming my new Quickdraw. First I had to have them all, then I had to have all my variants that I wanted to try, then I had to have even more as I realized there were still more crazy build-outs to try (Stds in your Locusts!). They are all fun. Only the third or fourth mech where mastering them doesn't feel like a chore. Point is, they can all be really fun if not effective as long as you can handle the frenetic sort of play they require.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:26 AM

Yup, terrific fun. I've mastered them all...and I've run them in comp (3M in prior quirks where it had nearly 200M SPLs and 1E recently). I'm not sure you've lived as a light pilot until you've run a LCT in a comp drop. :)

#16 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostTercieI, on 22 January 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Yup, terrific fun. I've mastered them all...and I've run them in comp (3M in prior quirks where it had nearly 200M SPLs and 1E recently). I'm not sure you've lived as a light pilot until you've run a LCT in a comp drop. Posted Image

does a LCT in CW count? Or is it disqualified since it was against Davions? Posted Image

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 22 January 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

does a LCT in CW count? Or is it disqualified since it was against Davions? Posted Image

No...good players view CW as boringly easy. Sorry.

#18 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostTercieI, on 22 January 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

No...good players view CW as boringly easy. Sorry.

well it'd be doubly so since it was against Davions Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users