- - - - -

Awesome, Is He Good?

30 replies to this topic

#1 x x x GOBLIN x x x

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

If yes what are some of his builds, i'm curious to try out ppc versions since is fairly cheap now with the promotion, but i'm a little insecure since his hitboxes are bad, but his size appears to balance that flaw

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Kinda, especially the 9M if piloted correctly that is...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...517720ff7dcf390
8Q is kinda similar, but with PPC.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...78a70c819a5b86b

Remember, that thing is a barn door.

Or the missile variant.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bae1df54001cd67

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Don't have any builds I'm willing to share with you, but...
This is the Awesome before quirks. It's pretty good there and it's only gotten better since.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Not for a new player. On the IS side, if you want an assault, the AS7, BNC, STK, BLR and KGC are all significantly better.

#5 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

Do not buy an Awesome. Literally any other assault is better.

Edited by Richter Kerensky, 22 January 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#6 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Well, you can consider it hard mode, if you like hard mode than go for it, if you like ppcs ( a weapon that now, and for a long time has been non viable ( bad hit detection and heat/damage/weight ratios ) ) than go for it Posted Image , it will get a physical size adjustment some time in the future to make it probly more slender so at that point it will be more viable and ppc's might get some kind of buff soon-ish so who knows, it might be the next meta king for a while X) .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 22 January 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#7 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

It's a very good 'mech if you know how to spread damage. It's generally better used for a durable heavy fire support than for an assault brawler or a sniper/area denial tank, though.

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

I don't think it's a particularly good mech, but that's just me. Direct-fire hard points are mostly LOW mounts. Missiles, too. It's BIG, WIDE, FLAT, and EASY to slice up.

If you're looking to challenge yourself, though, it's a GREAT one. And seriously, some of the game's best players are in love with them. Not because they're META-HOT, but because they can still wreck in them.

It's kinda like that kid who pulls up next to you at the stop light in a Hyundai Tiburon and wants to race. If he knows how to build, and how to launch, and how to shift, he just may end up smoking the Cragars off your old Chevelle. But the average "My-mommy-and-daddy-bought-me-this" kid with a cheap short-ram intake and 25-pound chrome wheels? You're gonna beat him like you own him, and in just about any car (or minivan) you can find...

#9 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:42 AM

To be frank, it's awesome.

Just not at the areas we think it should be.

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

The Awesome is not bad at all. People are overly harsh on it without considering its current quirks. I own all the Inner Sphere assaults and it is definitely not near the bottom.

The problem is many heavies also received very generous quirks and they obsolete it for many of the same roles.

Only consider the 8R,8Q and 9M. Also they all pretty much need immediate engine swaps and or endo.

As part of the main battle line it runs cooler than a Zeus and is faster and tankier than Stalkers.

#11 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

The 8Q and 9M make decent laser boats. The 8Q has more/higher hardpoint mounts but the 9M has a greater engine cap. I put in 3 Large Pulse Lasers and fill out the rest with a few medium or medium pulses. These kinds of builds are probably done better in Banshees, Stalkers, Battlemasters but they are pretty playable. I know it's blasphemy to ditch the PPCs in an Awesome but personally they are a little too hot. They used to be a dominant weapon in the game but got the nerf bat (ghost heat, speed, jump jet nerfs) several times to deal with "death star stalkers" and poptart jumpsniper builds.

The 8R makes an okay LRM boat or SRM brawler, but you're really better off getting the Battlemaster-1S for that kind of thing (more tonnage, better laser mounts, higher engine cap).

The side torsos are HUGE and super hittable, but I've somehow managed to get the master slow while keeping my K/D above 2.0 for both the 8Q and 9M (those are decent numbers for an okay player like me who plays mostly pugs, for what it's worth).

View PostSpheroid, on 23 January 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

The Awesome is not bad at all. People are overly harsh on it without considering its current quirks. I own all the Inner Sphere assaults and it is definitely not near the bottom.

The bottom has to be the Victor, right? Or maybe the Highlander? Funny how one of those with AC5/PPC was like the deadliest thing in the game and now it's nerfed out of existence.

#12 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Awesome is a DPS assault so if you have any luck to keep range you can avoid killing shots pretty much time and return deadly spam of PPC's shots. This mech is good for plains and bad for cities. It is not versatile mech. It's perfect on flanks support for example.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 24 January 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#13 Jabilac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

The Awesome is a great mech for a more experienced player. Some people will tell you its terribad and should never be used but I've seen them work wonders (never actually made them work those wonders). I would recommend a Stalker out of the Assault class for a beginner pilot. Great hitboxes, high mounted hard points, versatile loadout options. Overall a great mech.

#14 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Im pretty positive that once it get resized, it will be more viable. For how much tons it has currently though, Awesome is a walking fat target.

#15 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

One more thing to add what Awesome is really good at. Torso Twist. That thing twist like monster, one of them (can't remembe which variant) have about 160 degree one side (including arm, so something like 120+40 ish), that means nearly 320 degree circle coverage. (which reminds me of Hunchback have similar style of torso twist coverage)

Again, as long as you are up the challenge, otherwise it'll be difficult to pilot.

#16 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

i pilot awesomes, you can check out some matches here
it is not a mech for beginners.
don't buy it as your first mech - you will need more skills just to be able to drive it. this is not an exaggeration -
consider the mech is slow and you have to keep in mind how big your body is at all times without looking at it, and get the timing for the twisting.

awesome is my favorite mech and i think it is the best assault mech. (contrary to the guy who says any other assault is better) the things to look out for change each month, it is a reality.
in this matchup for this patch, we got a new map that the awesome is not great at due to low hardpoints.

you could use the range quirks on the 8v, or try the erppc on the 9m.
this month the 8v is back to being powerful and so is the 8r, whether you boat long or short range missiles.

the 8t is pretty good at putting out dps in my experience, but the other variants do better if you concentrate on firepower because your torso is so big you don't want to stand and trade with other people on equal terms.

#17 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

another thing to note is that an awesome with fewer than 300 rating engine is dead before the match even begins.

go 300 rating or higher (if possible) always, and put the 2 heatsinks in the engine - otherwise you're wasting a heatsink space -
remove the dead arm armor on the 8v or 8r if it will get you extra tonnage too

and you need to have this mech elited, preferably mastered

put 94-96 armor on your front ct and 64 on your sidetorsos

#18 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

8r
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...167e9bf14367c38

8v
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...641d522209675a7

these are lurm builds; if you like direct fire more than lurms send me a msg i got other great builds

#19 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

The Awsome isn't outright a bad mech...there is just no reason to prefer him over other Assaults or why you should waste an Assault slot in group Queue or tonnage in CW on this Mech.
There are simply better missle or energy boats out there with better geometry and lower tonnage.

#20 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Probably not a good mech for a beginner. If you're new-ish and want to get into assaults, the Stalker is a beast - it rolls damage well, is easy to aim and takes a beating.

Personally, I really enjoy Awesomes - but I'm comfortable with the difficulty playing them.

AWS-8Q ... I run this w/ a STD300, DHS, Endo, 4xPPC and a crap ton of heat sinks w/ some armor shaved from the left arm and legs for more heat sinks.

AWS-8T ... this thing has the best general energy quirks in the game. I run this w/ 4xLPL (2 each arm), a STD 300, DHS, Endo and heat sinks

AWS-9M ... I go back and forth on this one; it has some ERPPC quirks but really the LPL works pretty well too - XL350, 4xLPL, DHS, Endo, crap ton of heat sinks ... and I think I shoved an AMS and one ton ammo on it

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users