2.Not a shadowhawk
3.Not a shadowhawk

#23 Kidler

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOST, Poland

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

1. Hunchbacks - my favorite is 4G variant because his fabulous AC20 makes him a real meat machine - but all variants are very decent.
2. Centurions - personally I suck with Cents but sometimes when I spectate fight i'm really amazed what competent people can do with this things.
3. Enforcer - I got 4R and 4P, they are really good in chaotic games.

@DoubleFlip
I totally agree with you. Shadowhawk and brawler are two things that exclude themself.

#24 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

Interesting so far only one person has mentioned the Wolverine.

Posted Image

#25 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

anything that can carry at least 3 SRM6 racks and have lasers for finishing blows, go fast, preferably jump, and roll damage well.

not ACs because pound for pound, we are talking about Mediums, not Assaults. ACs on Mediums, can seldom out DPS SRMs in a brawl scenario, and range don't matter if you're talking about brawls. with HBK-4G as maybe an exception due to how fast it can chuck out AC20 rounds

SHD-2K is a brawling beast if you know what you're doing. with 2 full shield arms, it can take a lot before going down, even with XL engines. (your arms should blow off first, then only die when all 3 torso are cherry red before dying.)

#26 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 17 February 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

Interesting so far only one person has mentioned the Wolverine.

Posted Image

Yes, I find it interesting as well ;)

Maybe people don't own them...I got them as part of the Phoenix pack add-on, and once I said to hell with it and started putting XL engines in them, they turning into quite the speedy, nimble, poptarty, general pain in the arse to deal with medium mech that can take it to other mechs quite well. Add in the quirks of the 7K to lvl5 modules and you can really dish out the pain quickly.

#27 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

#1 Hunchback 4P = This is the only mech that can squeeze a 40 alpha around a corner where the enemy can't hit back. It also has insane torso twist and has all of its weapons on one side. (most would say that's a flaw but when you use it so much nothing touches that torso without you letting it.)
#2 Blackjack 1X = No other medium can twist damage like it. Not even the stormcrow. Also high mounted weapons in the arms. Really small arms. I don't like this one as much.
#3 Cicada 2A = Boom and Zoom, is the way to go. 6 Medium pulse to get that 36 alpha and fire for effect. Torso twist for this one.
#4 Griffin 2N = ECM is deadly, and so is this griffin with heat neutral SRMS.
#5 Centurion AH = Not beefy but a good mini atlas.

#28 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

The Hunchback and Centurion are the 2 IS mechs built for brawling, the rest depends on play style. I learned how to play with the old trial Centurion (great zombie but shallow ammo bins) I suggest trying out the Trail Champ Hunchback and see how you like it.

My current go to Medium is the Griffins. Excellent SRM boats and the Jump Jets allow you to out maneuver other brawlers.

Blackjacks- Never piloted one but they are hard enough to kill in in a fight to tell me they should be worth something.

Enforcer- I only played the trail champion to see if the Sweet Deal MC sale was worth it but it really wasn't for me. That said, it more or less a Centurion with Jump Jets.

Wolverine- used to hear nothing but good things about this mech but after 2 or 3 re-balanced quirks, I've seen allot less of it. Just goes to prove any Meta Mech can get kicked in the pants after a patch

Wolfhound- I know it's a light but dear god, I've taken on Assaults mechs in this little guy, I'll put it up against a Cicada any day.

#29 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

Stormcrow: 4srm6, 6ersl. That's an alpha over 70, but it spreads a little with those srms.
105kph.
Fast, big alpha. Srms spread over the mech. Clan so xl doesn't matter.

#30 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:28 AM

Hunchback and Centurion for IS - both have the tonnage and size to be about the lightest hyper-brawling package you can build.

Blackjacks are good, though I'm not sure "brawler" is quite the right word since they rely more on mobility, but they are still dangerous

The IS 55-tonners, when covered with missiles with back-up weapons, can be nasty SRM boats.

As for Clans, Stormcrow is the answer, of course. Nova may work better after rescaling.

#31 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

I don't see too many Griffins and Trebuchets around. How exactly do they play? Got any builds to share?

#32 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostXoco, on 28 February 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

I don't see too many Griffins and Trebuchets around. How exactly do they play? Got any builds to share?

I am not an expert, here's mine:

GRF-2N

#33 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

hunchies are my best brawlers as far as across the entire chassis line goes. I have success with individual enforcers (4R), cents (A and AH) and the kintaro 18. leveling up wolverines right now and the7D(L) and 7K have been good to me. griffins I've actually turned into LRM mechs more than SRMs- they tended to die too fast brawling.

haven't touched my blackjacks in a while for some reason even tough they are one of my favorites, a bit light to be really in your face brawly for me though. does my75kph ac20 cicada 3C count as a brawler :) ?

#34 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

Really? At one time you saw the 2N everywhere
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...23f3fc6d968e940
the SRM 4 has a tight grouping and relatively quick cooldown. The ECM is a lifesaver or course

The 3M and 3N also carry allot of wallop
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...37340ed2e09ccbf
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6217368f3b5352

I see more Trench Buckets as LRM spammers but I have eaten a face full of SRMs a couple of time thanks to one.

#35 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

TBT7MC 3 MP 3 SRM4's Had some very good drops with it. Both Pugging and CW.

#36 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

For IS I'd say Crab like a few others. Can take a hit and usually outlive the enemy, I've soloed a DWF in one before (though I didn't look so great after).

For Clan the only real choice is the Stormcrow. Wide build variety to customize the brawler to your playstyle and rather tanky way above their weight class.

The Blackjacks don't get on my list because they are better off as skirmishers (strike and fade) as are most Hunchies (mostly due to that big 'ol hunch sucking up the hits, so they need to protect it). The enforcer is more fire support. The Ice Ferret and Cicada fall into the fast skirmisher camp as well, along with the Shadowcat (which is also a passable sniper).

My honorable mentions?

Hunchie IIC. Frail for a brawler (still no quirks), and with two 'humps' instead of one they take more hits then they should.
Centurion, Griffin, Wolverine. All three are just to large for their tonnage, though all make good 'brawlers' if you don't mind taking more damage than you should.

#37 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

urban mech

#38 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 04 March 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

urban mech

This. AC20 with a small laser nipple as backup, XL170 and you're good as gold. Nothing like running around kneecapping people

#39 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Urban mech also attracts allot of fire, people will chase down a trashcan just because it's so satisfying to kick around.

If you love the AC/20, I would go Hunchback and/or Centurion. I don't see the Champion Blackjack often but I heard it was a fun trail mech.

#40 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

1, Not-so-giant enemy Crab. Lacking a weak point, unlike its giant ancestor! It's small, packs a punch, and zombies extremely well.
2. Centurion. They can blot out the sky with their LRMs for all I care. I like the shade. Zombies well, and has a huge left deadside.
3. Hunchback. Load up ALL the SPLs and the AC20!

If lights could be brawlers too (they aren't considered brawlers, because PGI thinks that only heavies and mediums deserve the brawling bonus), I'd vote in the SplatFox and the SplatAdder, or maybe the BoomFox and the BoomSnake.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 06 March 2016 - 05:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users