- - - - -

Time Out Or Go Down Swinging For Best Score?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

If I'm in some fast mech and last one left on my team...
what can I do to get the entire team a better score?

A. Run for it and stay alive for the time out?
B. Go down with guns blazing?

We all know some people won't care about score, they just want the match over with.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

Last I checked you actually get more money for a loss then a tie. Coulda changed since then. Also, the sooner your done with the match, the sooner you can requeue to get more cbills.

Oh wait, this is about score? Only way to get more score for the team once their dead is to get em kill assists.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 23 January 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#3 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

In case you need clarification on Leone's somewhat cryptic post, try and kill some enemy mechs. This will translate into kill assists for those that did some earlier damage on the kills.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

fighting is definately better than hiding with one exception
If you are on conquest and your team looks like it could win by points (as in you hold most of the cap points and are past 600 score, with the enemy below 400)

fighting does not mean suicide charge into the enemy team, if you can separate then and pick them off one at a time try to do so, in the late stages the enemy could all be badly damaged, on one occasion I managed to take down the last 4 enemy Mechs, all of whom were in good condition as my teams sole surviving Mech (in a SDR-5K), many times I have finished off 2-4 damaged Mechs in Spider, Jenner, Firestarter or Cicada. that will not happen every game but when you are the last survivor in a Light you still can seriously contribute if the enemy has just a few Mechs left, however if they have 6+ Mechs all in good condition you will not be able to win.

people do tend to get annoyed if the last survivor runs off into a corner and powers down, you can be reported for doing so, it is classed as greifing, and if it happens frequently you can get into trouble for doing so.

#5 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Thank you very much for the answers. Posted Image

Mods please close this since (imo) they really covered the topic of hiding, +how best to get points and cbills too. Posted Image

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 23 January 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

If you are on conquest and your team looks like it could win by points (as in you hold most of the cap points and are past 600 score, with the enemy below 400)

fighting does not mean suicide charge into the enemy team, if you can separate then and pick them off one at a time try to do so, in the late stages the enemy could all be badly damaged, on one occasion I managed to take down the last 4 enemy Mechs, all of whom were in good condition as my teams sole surviving Mech (in a SDR-5K), many times I have finished off 2-4 damaged Mechs in Spider, Jenner, Firestarter or Cicada. that will not happen every game but when you are the last survivor in a Light you still can seriously contribute if the enemy has just a few Mechs left, however if they have 6+ Mechs all in good condition you will not be able to win.

people do tend to get annoyed if the last survivor runs off into a corner and powers down, you can be reported for doing so, it is classed as greifing, and if it happens frequently you can get into trouble for doing so.

It's not name&shame to talk about a GREAT JOB by another player, right?

I was on a team that wound up 11-7 with 6:00 to go, on Tourmaline, with the lone enemy being a LCT-1V piloted by a certain SteelCore. Had a single ERLL as its sole armament. HE stayed on the run, managed to pick off one of our remaining five (gaining someone on his team an ASSIST at least), and made that last 6:00 very interesting. We were all heavy (save one fairly slow/damaged SHC or CDA, I think), better-armed, and much slower. On a BIG, OPEN map. Sure, he coulda run off and shut down, but nope. Kept finding new positions and keeping up the fire on us, then moving out quickly and repositioning.

I hear that's one exceptional pilot, though.

Anyhow, I want to reinforce what Rogue Jedi said above. Fighting out the match does NOT necessarily mean the ol' guns-ablaze suicide charge. You CAN be smart, ignore the salty tears of your teammates who died early on and want to rage on you for it, and do some real damage. May even get a couple kills, and earn those spectators some assists or even KMDDs.

Which reminds me of ANOTHER awesome light performance. We were DOWN 7-11, and last mech was a RVN-3L(C). Enemy team was a little beat up, save for their Dire Wolf. Oh, and ASSAULT. Dude carried in his Raven. Dude pulled 5 straight kills, including against a fairly FRESH DIRE WOLF, to pull the win. Didn't charge into the midst of the enemies, but worked smartly and picked them off one-by-one, until that duel at our cap against the whale, where he beat that pilot at the peeking game. It was something special to behold.

You CAN be a hero in a light.

#7 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

If equal kills, run...

If winning conquest...run faster. If you know all their lights are dead, run to the most distance enemy held point and cap it!

If winning assault, run to the base and hope!

If you have a long/ med ranged weapon then you can do hit and runs, but you got to be good at driving it around.

"Lights need to be lucky with every hit to win, Assaults only need to be lucky once!"

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

If I'm the last guy left in my light and I have to kill some enemies, I will often try to leg them if I can. That way if there's time left I can maybe come back to finish them off when they're alone. It reall depends.

#9 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 23 January 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

You CAN be smart, ignore the salty tears of your teammates who died early on and want to rage on you for it, and do some real damage. May even get a couple kills, and earn those spectators some assists or even KMDDs.

Ofc, in order to lessen the tears and rage you might also wish to spend a moment using chat/voice to tell your dead team mates that you intend to fight smart. You'll find people stay to watch silently when they understand you actually have a plan beyond charging in guns blazing. Well, so I assume - I'm rarely the last man standing but when watching a good light pilot try for the last three kills I'm not going to distract him.

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

Kill for the living .
Kill for the dead .
Never give up, never give in !

Of course you should go down figting as hard and as smart as you can .

#11 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 23 January 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

I don't know if it was you or not, but watched a Spider with a single ERLL tie up the match (from 4-5 down) when the clock ran out (and 30 more seconds would have won it) for our team that way a couple weeks ago on HPG. It was VERY impressive.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostLadyDanams, on 26 January 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

I don't know if it was you or not, but watched a Spider with a single ERLL tie up the match (from 4-5 down) when the clock ran out (and 30 more seconds would have won it) for our team that way a couple weeks ago on HPG. It was VERY impressive.

unfortunately that was probably not me, while I have had games like that I do not run "just" ERLL on any of my builds, it would have been ERLL+MG or ERLL+2ML, and I have not had many games in the Spider since December

#13 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostSpetulhu, on 26 January 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

Ofc, in order to lessen the tears and rage you might also wish to spend a moment using chat/voice to tell your dead team mates that you intend to fight smart. You'll find people stay to watch silently when they understand you actually have a plan beyond charging in guns blazing. Well, so I assume - I'm rarely the last man standing but when watching a good light pilot try for the last three kills I'm not going to distract him.

God bless you, mechwarrior!

I had this match. Tourmaline. I Was in an ACH of some description. Light lance went left, and ran face-first into the enemy's heaviest. Dire Whale, Cataphract, a couple others. Took our shots as we bussed the towers, and then bailed back to the friendly fatties yelping.

At one point, I had to lead three friendly mechs (among them a relatively fresh Stalker, and all three heavy or assault) around a corner to face-off with ONE LONE BADLY DAMAGED CATAPHRACT. In fact, it was the first thing I got shots onto in the match, in that early encounter. ("En passant" works far better in Chess, TBH.) At some point, wound up last on my team, against no fewer than FIVE of theirs.

Now, I KNOW I'm not that good. My ACH was missing a side torso, and therefore, half of its weapons. (Back then, the performance nerf for Clan XL engines missing one side torso was NOT in play.) I had speed, and it was an ASSAULT match. The enemies were not as quick, and they were fairly far from my team's base. Quick decision? Run for the cap and get friendly with my Maker.

MAN, did I hear and read some malicious s**t from some of those teammates, who were spectating. A particularly salty one, who (dunno about you, but I find this relevant) had died with less than HALF the damage done that I had (did I mention that I'm NOT a good player?), was using CLEARLY abusive language in violation of the ToS, calling my mother's personal choices into question, etc.

The loss was, of course, MY fault. NOT because I couldn't carry. Because I hadn't been there to provide ECM cover for my team (I was), because I didn't participate in the fight (I did), because I didn't find any enemy locations or spoil their flanks (again, DID IT), and so on. NOT that he sucked at paying attention. That I didn't do those things (that I actually DID).

You can't win with some folks, is what I'm getting at.

TL;DR- OP, play your game. You do what you know in your heart to be the right, best thing, for your team. If they don't like it, F**K THEM. Do it anyhow.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

TheRAbbi, on 26 January 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

MAN, did I hear and read some malicious s**t from some of those teammates, who were spectating. A particularly salty one, who (dunno about you, but I find this relevant) had died with less than HALF the damage done that I had (did I mention that I'm NOT a good player?), was using CLEARLY abusive language in violation of the ToS, calling my mother's personal choices into question, etc. The loss was, of course, MY fault. NOT because I couldn't carry. Because I hadn't been there to provide ECM cover for my team (I was), because I didn't participate in the fight (I did), because I didn't find any enemy locations or spoil their flanks (again, DID IT), and so on. NOT that he sucked at paying attention. That I didn't do those things (that I actually DID). You can't win with some folks, is what I'm getting at. TL;DR- OP, play your game. You do what you know in your heart to be the right, best thing, for your team. If they don't like it, F**K THEM. Do it anyhow.

If you receive abuse in chat/VOIP make sure to report them,
on the post match screen click on the relevant players names and there are dropdown boxes to send reports, if they are abusive report them for that, if they swear report them for bad language, if someone is reported enough (I do not know the threshold but I have seen threads where people mention being given a short term ban after bad behavior in a single match) they will get a warning, and if they keep being reported they will get a short term ban, then longer term or permanent bans

#15 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:36 AM

In most cases, especially after a totaly onesided match I would rather be done with it then draw it out. Better luck and more earnings next match.
However there are cases , in conquest or sometimes in assault, where a single mech still can turn the tide or at least maximize the earnings of your team.
I had several recent conquest and assault matches where the kill counter stood 3 against me and I coul take at least two of them with me ( increase the earnings of teammembers for assists ) or even outcap the enemy or kill them one by one in their damaged mechs while they where chasing me or came drippling in one by one on my cap point.

Its all quite situational.
Sometimes the fight is worth it some times your time earns you more.

#16 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

If you receive abuse in chat/VOIP make sure to report them,
on the post match screen click on the relevant players names and there are dropdown boxes to send reports, if they are abusive report them for that, if they swear report them for bad language, if someone is reported enough (I do not know the threshold but I have seen threads where people mention being given a short term ban after bad behavior in a single match) they will get a warning, and if they keep being reported they will get a short term ban, then longer term or permanent bans

As the OP I know that might seem slightly off topic but it's very relevant info imo.

Last night during my last game in spotting/scout commando (bap,uav,+15%sensors mod,etc) another player got extremely verbally abusive, profane, and personal with everyone on team. It got to the point that I texted a 4 letter abbreviation back (to shutty, not my best moment)...
Anyways I died (100% because of the yappy distracter) and that's when I found the Tab button also showed me the team info. It showed the problem player's speaker turning green when he talked and clicking it muted him. But now I know for next time how to also click his name and report. (Hope this helps other newbies too)

But everything that has been written in this topic about lights and what to do at solo crunch time has been very very helpful.

Edited by Akillius, 01 February 2016 - 05:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users