- - - - -

Locked Moddule

17 replies to this topic

#1 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have a King Crab. It has a mech module and a mech/weapon module. I bought radar deprivation
and want to put it in the mech/weapon module, but it is locked.

I have 4x zoom in the other module, and need it, my eyesight isn't good.

I thought after I spent all that dough on the deprivation module, I'd be able to use it. Is there a way to unlock it?

Thx.

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

The mech/weapon module is unlocked with XP in the mech tree, you need to unlock the "master" perk.

edit: in order to do so, you need to grind the mech tree: first unlocking "basic" perks on three variants of the same chassis (three King Crabs), then unlocking the "elite" perks on three variants of the same class (three assault mechs, for example a King Crab, an Atlas and a Warhawk), and finally the "master perk".

Edited by epikt, 23 January 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

Or alternatively, and much easier, unlocking elite on three king crabs.

~Leone.

#4 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

View Postepikt, on 23 January 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

The mech/weapon module is unlocked with XP in the mech tree, you need to unlock the "master" perk.

edit: in order to do so, you need to grind the mech tree: first unlocking "basic" perks on three variants of the same chassis (three King Crabs), then unlocking the "elite" perks on three variants of the same class (three assault mechs, for example a King Crab, an Atlas and a Warhawk), and finally the "master perk".

You don't have to unlock the 'elite' levels on three different mechs they can all be on the same mech but different chassis, for example you can unlock 'elite' tier on the 3 king crabs and you will still be able to unlock master tier on them.

~Dark

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostDarkspart3n, on 23 January 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

You don't have to unlock the 'elite' levels on three different mechs they can all be on the same mech but different chassis, for example you can unlock 'elite' tier on the 3 king crabs and you will still be able to unlock master tier on them.
~Dark

just bear in mind for XP purposes it needs to be 3 different variants, also the 000B, 000B(C) and 000B(S) all count as the same variant, if a Mech has a letter in brackets it always counts as the same variant as without the brackets.

and most people would refer to King Crab as the Chassis, and KCG-000, KCG-0000 and KCG-000B as the variants

#6 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

I like my crab, but no way am I wasting money to get more of them. My next mech will be a heavy, and there will prob only be one of them.

Can't say I like the way they set this up. I have radar dep and seismic and I can't use either, maybe permanently.

SOB.

Edited by runciblelate, 23 January 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#7 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

I swapped out 4x zoom for radar dep.

I had to adapt a little, but once I did I noticed I was surviving to the end of the match more often. Decent improvement, I although I miss the zoom. We could do better than 4x a hundred years ago, and it wasn't expensive at all.

Edited by runciblelate, 23 January 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#8 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

View Postrunciblelate, on 23 January 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

I like my crab, but no way am I wasting money to get more of them. My next mech will be a heavy, and there will prob only be one of them.

Can't say I like the way they set this up. I have radar dep and seismic and I can't use either, maybe permanently.

SOB.

I am with you on this.
There have been suggestions to swap it around (need to basic 3 mechs in the same weight class to unlock elite and to elite 3 variants to unlock master) but that wouldn´t help in that specific case (would still need to elite 3 variants to get that master slot unlocked).
In the end, it is just one more incentive to spend real money to get premium/mech-bays/convert XP to GXP.
Note: I´m not crying: "foul" for this, it _is_ a F2P game and money has to come from _somewhere_ after all.

P.s.: There are a couple of mechs (though no Clan ones it seems) that come with 2 mech-slots from the get go (master basically gives them a 3rd).
You can have a look here at Smurfy (look in the MS column, the first number is mech-slots)
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
So not everything is lost Posted Image

#9 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

I got a King Crab and a Direwolf during the Steam sale for about 38 bucks. I think MW4 was 40 bucks when it was new, and had mechs out the wazoo.

This is not to say I reject the business model out of hand. But premium prices demand a premium product. The lousy maps, the flaky interface, the limited types of missions....

I played 2,3 and 4. I was ecstatic when the trailer for 5 was released, and disappointed when it got killed.

I'll give these guys some time, but there was a reason I never joined MWO before this.

#10 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:24 AM

I'm sorry, but you only have yourself to blame. All King Crabs and Direwolves can be bought with ingame currency, with the cadet bonus and the money you earn simply by playing the tutorial it would have taken few hours to grind the cbills. During that time you would have the time to test different trial mechs and decide what is the best for you, ask veteran for advice about what mechs are good and what package gives the best value, and even notice what you reproach the game for (I quote: "the lousy maps, the flaky interface, the limited types of missions").

I really don't understand players that pays money on a free to play before they actually tested it and know for sure they're gonna get their money worth.
It's free to play, play for free dammit!

Edited by epikt, 24 January 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

That $40 that you spent on mechs could have bought you a LOT of mech bays, which combined with the mechs that are available for c-bills equates to a lot of mechs.

Yes the gameplay is pretty limited, however, remember that you're playing against real people, so even though the "missions" are the same, each game is different, or can be, depending on what your team and the enemy team does. Also, there are different mixes of mechs and weapons in each game mode as well. You're not playing against predetermined mechs with fixed weapons that move in a set pattern.

Really the only thing that other Mechwarrior titles had over MWO is the variety of missions and the option to play multi-player on MW4.

I'll take MWO over those titles any day.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

View Postmailin, on 24 January 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Really the only thing that other Mechwarrior titles had over MWO is the variety of missions and the option to play multi-player on MW4.

I'll take MWO over those titles any day.

I mostly agree but I would still like a proper single player campaign

#13 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

View Postepikt, on 24 January 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

I really don't understand players that pays money on a free to play before they actually tested it and know for sure they're gonna get their money worth.
It's free to play, play for free dammit!

I did try it. The two trial mechs available at that time were crap. There may have been others, but I didn't know that.
Yes, I should have spent hours going through the minutia of the game. They deliberately make this difficult in the hopes you will screw up, making them even more money. The interface is ludicrous.

What I knew what that I was getting nowhere, and that owning a mech meant I could get enhancements. And things did go better once I got the KC. I've had no luck with the Direwolf,

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 January 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Me too.

I also fail to see why you can't have multiplayer with good maps and missions. (See the Sidestrafe youtube called Innovations)

Edited by runciblelate, 24 January 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#14 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

While true, You don't need 3 different assaults to unlock master... You could use the same 3 king crabs, you got through basics, then unlock elite on the 3 crabs, and that would unlock master slot for any assault in the game. (or are clans separate, i never level a clan and IS on the same account..)\

OP: FYI, unlock elites on assaults is a pretty big deal.. something you want to do anyway. Faster weapon fire, faster movement long with Doubling the bonuses you already have with Basics.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 January 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

well if all goes well, 2017 is looking good for a single player campaign. :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 January 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#15 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 January 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

While true, You don't need 3 different assaults to unlock master...

I'm absolutely astonished by how many people felt necessary to clarify that point, even though several others already had, and my initial post never implied it was mandatory to grind three different mechs.

#16 Shirow

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTexas :)

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

The mech/weapon module is unlocked with XP in the mech tree, you need to unlock the "master" perk. edit: in order to do so, you need to grind the mech tree: first unlocking "basic" perks on three variants of the same chassis (three King Crabs), then unlocking the "elite" perks on three variants of the same class (three assault mechs, for example a King Crab, an Atlas and a Warhawk), and finally the "master perk".

You answered my question i didnt even ask, thanks :)

#17 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:16 AM

View Postrunciblelate, on 24 January 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

I did try it. The two trial mechs available at that time were crap. There may have been others, but I didn't know that.
Yes, I should have spent hours going through the minutia of the game. They deliberately make this difficult in the hopes you will screw up, making them even more money. The interface is ludicrous.
(...)

It all depends on the player and his approach.

If you aim at having as much mechs as possible or 'getting this one and that one and two of those and 3 of those, and modules and consumable upgrades and (...)... well yeah, it's gonna be a grind. A lot of grind. Or some paying.

If you just enjoy the game for what is it and think of the c-bills/xp after you've already earned them just by playing and it's time to buy some goodies - no grind at all. Especially now, when you start at tier 5 and all your competition are other totally green players and total casuals.

When it comes to 3 chassis, then it can be a drag sometimes. It all depends if the variants are different enough to allow making different, fun builds. Some do, some don't. I often have a problem with having no concept for making the 3rd variant fun and different enough in comparison to the 2 others... I usually end up turning it into some kind of abomination... Like the lbx10+2xsrm4+2xspl centurion I made last weekend... believe me or not but it can work :]

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 25 January 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#18 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 25 January 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

It all depends on the player and his approach.

If you aim at having as much mechs as possible or 'getting this one and that one and two of those and 3 of those, and modules and consumable upgrades and (...)... well yeah, it's gonna be a grind. A lot of grind. Or some paying.

If you just enjoy the game for what is it and think of the c-bills/xp after you've already earned them just by playing and it's time to buy some goodies - no grind at all. Especially now, when you start at tier 5 and all your competition are other totally green players and total casuals.

When it comes to 3 chassis, then it can be a drag sometimes. It all depends if the variants are different enough to allow making different, fun builds. Some do, some don't. I often have a problem with having no concept for making the 3rd variant fun and different enough in comparison to the 2 others... I usually end up turning it into some kind of abomination... Like the lbx10+2xsrm4+2xspl centurion I made last weekend... believe me or not but it can work :]

Completely agree.
Personally, when it starts to _feel_ like a grind, I´m out.
Seriously, I play games to have fun, when it starts to feel like work, I just go play something else.

I also agree with the "if variants are different enough".
My three Grasshoppers felt _very_ similar and I had a hard time hanging in. The saving grace was, that I really like how they play, so it wasn´t too bad having to play 3 versions as if they were (more or less) the same mech.
But yeah, I usually go to great length to make the different versions _different_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users