Forge Sniper For High Building

15 replies to this topic

#1 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:16 AM

I´m looking for a sniper that can jump the high central building on forge in cw.
Seems like i need 7 jj to get up there. So far i tried the WVR 7K with ERLL becasue he has enough jj and energy range quirks, but the hardpoints are too low for a good sniper.

Next i will try the GRF 1S but i think there i´ll have the same problems.

Any better idea?
Should be IS and energy with high range.

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:21 AM

CDA-3F. If it's available as a non-Loyalty chassis, anyway. That thing flies like a rocket, is fast on the ground, and is a CW-friendly weight. Works well with PPCs and ERLLs.

#3 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 24 January 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

CDA-3F. If it's available as a non-Loyalty chassis, anyway. That thing flies like a rocket, is fast on the ground, and is a CW-friendly weight. Works well with PPCs and ERLLs.

Thought about it but it has no range quirk. I can´t remember how far the gens are there.

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:47 AM

CDA-3F isn't good for this task, it can't aim downwards because all weapons are in the torso.

I'd recommend a raven 4X, but every mech with semi high arm mounted weapons works well there.

You don't need that much jumpjets to get on top

Please overlook my drawing skills.

A: is good for mechs with 1 jumpjet, heavies might want to have two, but i've done and seen it with one jumpjet.

B: also works with only one jumpjet, you might want to jump on the edge of the roof (1 to 2) stay there and recharge for another jump onto the roof as well. (the edge is a bit lower, but if you move to much you will fall down)

C: that's tricky, i only do it with lights and i barely made it with a raven and 2 jumpjets. but it is possible if it's trained a couple of times.

Posted Image

Edited by LOADED, 24 January 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#5 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

Quickdraw 4G or 4H both have a 25% range quirk, stack with a range module and it gets the erlls out to 911m optimal. Its a Heavy so can run the CCON for a 58% boost to Advanced Zoom range.

With 7 jj they can make it up there from outside the gates

Here is my 4G build.
Spoiler

The 5K has better hardpoints but has 5% less range.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 24 January 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Panther-10K.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 24 January 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Here is my 4G build.
Spoiler

Just curious, why sticking the DHS into the sidetorsos instead of the engine slots? Why downgrade legarmor instead of shieldarm? Why so much back armor?

#8 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Putting them in Side torsos takes up critical space, so a critical hit has a chance to destroy the heat sink instead of a weapon. Putting it in the engine doesn't double it so if you have the space use it to criticize pad

#9 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostRhavin, on 24 January 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Putting them in Side torsos takes up critical space, so a critical hit has a chance to destroy the heat sink instead of a weapon. Putting it in the engine doesn't double it so if you have the space use it to criticize pad

Exactly. I never put DHS in XL Center if I have space it sides for them. Crit padding.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Okay, first off, I dislike having to clear out that snipey spot, and have had to figure out how to get up there with but one jump jet before. It's not always the amount of jump jets you bring, but how you use them. Yes, a five jump jet nova can hop onto a side building an boost on up there, but jetting carefully one can... Let's use the above offered map as a guide.

1:Begin on the D4 ramp.
2: jump onto E4 top central building.
3: Whew, rest the jet.
4: hop onto the E4 left corner building. More resting.
5:Run on the outstretched little lip an hop to the red 3 on the map. Aim for right after the larger wall, onto the platform. Hopefully you'll know what I mean when you get there.
6. Rest that jet, then hop from Red mark three to red mark four.
7. Voila! Now your Daishi or Highlander can scare the bejeezus outta that pesky light sniper.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 January 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Sounds to me like the OP is looking to get onto the wall from the attacker/counterattacker side, and shoot the generators from there.

Haven't tried it. I HAVE seen assaults get up there from the defend/hold side, though.

#12 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

View PostLOADED, on 24 January 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

CDA-3F isn't good for this task, it can't aim downwards because all weapons are in the torso.

I'd recommend a raven 4X, but every mech with semi high arm mounted weapons works well there.

You don't need that much jumpjets to get on top

Please overlook my drawing skills.

A: is good for mechs with 1 jumpjet, heavies might want to have two, but i've done and seen it with one jumpjet.

B: also works with only one jumpjet, you might want to jump on the edge of the roof (1 to 2) stay there and recharge for another jump onto the roof as well. (the edge is a bit lower, but if you move to much you will fall down)

C: that's tricky, i only do it with lights and i barely made it with a raven and 2 jumpjets. but it is possible if it's trained a couple of times.

Posted Image

Ty for your work with the map.
Indeed it´s route c that i meant.

Quickdraws have their hardpoints too low for my taste. I don´t drive them at all even now that they are considered tier 1.
Raven 4X and Panther 10K (with ERPPCs) were on my mind too. But after testing the jump with my Wolverine i was under the impression that 5jj wouldn´t be enough. I think i will test the raven now because i love the position of the hardpoints. Maybe for a light 5 jj will do the trick, who knows.

I tried the CDA 3F and it worked for me. But indeed you can´t do much more than gen shooting because of the torso slots.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

For what it is worth, I have heard from many an experienced and better player than I the following on Vitric:

If attacker gets a sniper up on the wall, leave them there as they are doing far less damage than you might think and are taking away from the viability of their team's push. Mop them up at the end, but let them stay up there as long as they want they are not doing their team any favors.

On the other hand, I find those little buggers a real distraction and I have a couple of dedicated Griffin and Quickdraw builds specific for getting up there and killing them. But like I say more experienced people tell me that I should just ignore the snipers and focus on the enemies pushing.

#14 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 January 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

For what it is worth, I have heard from many an experienced and better player than I the following on Vitric:

If attacker gets a sniper up on the wall, leave them there as they are doing far less damage than you might think and are taking away from the viability of their team's push. Mop them up at the end, but let them stay up there as long as they want they are not doing their team any favors.

On the other hand, I find those little buggers a real distraction and I have a couple of dedicated Griffin and Quickdraw builds specific for getting up there and killing them. But like I say more experienced people tell me that I should just ignore the snipers and focus on the enemies pushing.

I think they are absolutely right in 12/12. But since i play pug all the time i can tell that taking out gens from up there and causing havoc in enemy pug teams can decide the match. When the enemy is a full or nearly full team you lost anyways. ^^

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostDer Hesse, on 25 January 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

I think they are absolutely right in 12/12. But since i play pug all the time i can tell that taking out gens from up there and causing havoc in enemy pug teams can decide the match. When the enemy is a full or nearly full team you lost anyways. ^^

That a really good point of clarification. Thanks.

#16 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:39 AM

View PostRhavin, on 24 January 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Not that i disagree or anything, it was just about that particular quickdraw build, it still does make little sense to me that the shield torso does have any components inside (I'd move the jumpjet to the right torso, and the heatsinks into the engines).
Not a fan of that build, which is totaly okay, depends on playstil and liking of course. But i think that build could be tweaked and improved a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users