4 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

I have always wondered how it really works. You have the inner sphere home map. With all the factions and clans divided into sections. There are hundreds of little planets to click on and attack or defend. I'm trying to understand how attacking and defending works.

I click on a planet lets say a planet called Idlewind which is in the Luthien district. It shows me what clan is now occupying that planet. Is that how it works. Two clans fight for the planet? Whoever wins all the matches gets to occupy it until another clan comes along and wins? Like it says something like this under Planet History
13:12:3050 SRMX

So SRMX is the latest occupying clan. I would like if someone could explain most of this becusse it seems like alot of fun. Like lets say your contract is with Marik can you attack a planet in the New Avalon area? Do you have to have a clan to occupy these areas? So many questions and how does it all work?

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

The unit that had most succesful drops when claiming the planet get´s its tags on it .
So in your example SRMX were contributing most to claiming the planet for the faction they were playing for .

To "flip" or take a planet an attacking faction needs to have at least 53% of the displayed squares occupied .
To get one square occupied as attacker you minimally need to win an attack on the said square and one counter-attack to hold it .

Now the fun race begins ...
Which side can win more battles quicker to either keep attackers sub 53% or supress defenders long enough while holding that minimum of 53% (or more) until ceasefire kicks in .

In ceasefire all matches are calculated to determine the outcome .

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 26 January 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

I have always wondered how it really works. You have the inner sphere home map. With all the factions and clans divided into sections. There are hundreds of little planets to click on and attack or defend. I'm trying to understand how attacking and defending works.

So, just to clarify, but Clans are four of the ten factions available. They are, (from left to right on the overmap.) Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Smoke Jaguar. The thing to pay attention to is the little box on the right with the red an blue planet names (Scroll to the top to find em.) Those planets are currently contested. Red ones are planets your faction can attack (The faction can only attack on planet per faction it borders.) Blue are planets you can defend and may not necessarily be your faction's planet, as the Inner Sphere factions and Clans are, ostensibly, allied against each other.

Of course, Liao an Davion have had a long standing rivalry an right now Marik is trying to retake a bunch of planets lost to Liao, so yeah.

Further information from the little box on the right is the number of players currently waiting on each planet. Since matches only occur when twelve players face off against twelve, you can tell when you may get a match by counting the players. For instance, if you see a defense planet showing 24/48 you know that only two teams are attacking whilest there are four teams defending, which means you don't wanna go there, cuz they've already got two teams of defenders waiting for more attackers.

I would like if someone could explain most of this becusse it seems like alot of fun. Like lets say your contract is with Marik can you attack a planet in the New Avalon area? Do you have to have a clan to occupy these areas? So many questions and how does it all work?
Okay, again, you seem to be confused, see above about Clans. I think you are using clan to denotate units. SRMx is a unit tag. They can tag a planet either by having the most victorious pilots fighting when the planet is taken, or by having the most victorious pilots prevent the planet from being taken were someone else attacking it.

Anyone can participate in fighting for a world, but only the unit with the most victories on planet that 'game turn' gets to tag it. (A 'game turn' being roughly seven hours an twenty minutes of contested combat followed by a short ceasefire whilest the system changes borders an sets new attacking lanes.)

A great example of this is the hotly contested Beta VII by the Steiner/FRR/Jade Falcon border area. Not only did the tag change as one side conquered, lost an reconquered the planet, but you can see where other units tag the planet on defense even when it didn't flip sides.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 26 January 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#4 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

As Leone stated, "Clan" is a specific lore term in this game (not a generic). There are four Clans (out of 18 in lore) in the current invasion (Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar).

Players form into "Mercenary Companies" or "Loyal Faction Units" to participate in Faction Warfare/Community Warfare.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

I click on a planet lets say a planet called Idlewind which is in the Luthien district. It shows me what clan is now occupying that planet. Is that how it works. Two clans fight for the planet? Whoever wins all the matches gets to occupy it until another clan comes along and wins? Like it says something like this under Planet History
13:12:3050 SRMX

So SRMX is the latest occupying clan. I would like if someone could explain most of this becusse it seems like alot of fun. Like lets say your contract is with Marik can you attack a planet in the New Avalon area? Do you have to have a clan to occupy these areas? So many questions and how does it all work?

Okay, first things first...

You can't just go attack ANY planet, all willy-nilly. There are a defined set of planets open for a particular FACTION ("Clan" has a particular connotation, and we will instead use "UNIT" in its place; FACTION refers to one of either six Inner Sphere houses or four Clans) to attack. And of course, those in your faction's territory being attacked, are open to be DEFENDED by you.

FURTHER, you may be able to defend other factions' planets against attack from outside. IIRC, IS players can defend ANY IS planet against attack by CLAN forces, and vice-versa. So, you might be on a Liao contract, but help defend a Steiner planet against Clan Jade Falcon. Why? Because there's a bigger war on between the Inner Sphere and the Clans, as well as the little conflicts between the various IS houses and between the various Clans.

Think of it this way. Two countries are having big, multifaceted civil wars. Those two countries go to war against one another, while they are still at war within themselves. Grats, bruh.

As to an OCCUPYING UNIT, that's really the ONLY incentive in play currently for organized teams/units (what might in other games be called "clans", but not here, again because of the peculiar connotation of that term in MW/BT lore). If your UNIT wins the majority of such-and-such on a particular planet, then your unit becomes the OCCUPYING UNIT, and whenever someone clicks on that planet, they'll see your unit's tag there, and go, "DAMN, BRUH!" That's about it for now.

Now, to SEE which faction (Steiner, Kurita, Davion, Liao, Marik, or Free Rasalhague Republic; Wolf, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, or Ghost Bear) a planet belongs to, you'll look at the PLANET INFO tab. The owning faction's icon will be displayed there, near the occupying unit's tag.

MOST IMPORTANT RIGHT AWAY: Use the PLANET FINDER window, usually on the far-right of the FACTION WARFARE screen, and you'll see planets listed in THREE colors. RED ones are ones that YOU may attack (determined by your current loyalty/contract). BLUE ones are ones that YOU may defend. Then there's like GRAY or something, which are the planets that you can't do squat about right now.

Now, you'll want to look at the numbers to the right of a planet in that window. They'll show the number of attackers and defenders, in that order. Say, you see the following:

Wayne's World 13/16

So, the planet Wayne's World is being contested right now. There are currently 13 MWO players participating in the ATTACK on Wayne's World, and 16 participating in the DEFENSE of the same. Say you're seeing the planet's name in BLUE. Well, you can join those other 16 players in defending Wayne's World from the evil forces of Clan Fluffy Bunny, for the greater good of House Gregory. Or something. Whatever. Even if you're in House MD, you may still be able to HELP the forces of House Gregory to defend against the attacking horde of Fluffy Bunnies (HINT: Take the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.)

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a pretty cool FREE app for iPhone out there by Lucard Games, that gives you a current map of the Inner Sphere, with the current territories delimited by color, and with a list of contested planets. You can look at who is attacking and defending each planet (primary attacker/defender factions, anyhow), and how far toward captured each planet is. I think it can even list the number of occupied planets by unit, too, as well as by faction. And so on. Not shamelessly plugging for personal gain or satisfaction, but just noting that this is pretty cool for checking up on the war on your smoke breaks at work.

If nothing else, go have a look at Kin3ticX's guide to MWO, and especially its section on CW/FW (starts on slide 48, I think?). It's pretty much all explained there.

Doubt you'll ever see an official tutorial on CW. Sorry, bruh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users