Town Hall With Russ Bullock Friday Jan 29Th

151 replies to this topic

#121 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

i want to be able to put the breakable trees on fire with flamers and see them burn for 10 minutes until they become ash....i want to see an entire forest burning and mechs fighting in middle of the fire. can it be done o.0 ?

#122 shaterbane

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 30 January 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

If I recall from sarna, the charger was never liked by anyone... let alone respected...

In MWO, even if you swap out the 5 sml for other armament I think it ALL goes in one arm....

Thus the Sort of... I've had fun with it in the TT game. And they show up in the fiction a few times with insane pilots.

As for armament location, no, they're spread evenly over the mech. 1 each, Head, RT, LT, RA, LA.

I don't recall exactly how the 3050 upgrade looks.

#123 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:37 AM

The Kodiak in time for my birthday, 2016 will be a great year ;)

#124 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

View Postsmokefield, on 31 January 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

i want to be able to put the breakable trees on fire with flamers and see them burn for 10 minutes until they become ash....i want to see an entire forest burning and mechs fighting in middle of the fire. can it be done o.0 ?

This!

Flamers would be useful for what they were meant for, creating smoke cover and creating havoc on heat and night vision. Give burning trees a diminishing heat signature over time and similar smoke production..

This would be sweet for defense of emerald taiga and such...

#125 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postshaterbane, on 31 January 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

Thus the Sort of... I've had fun with it in the TT game. And they show up in the fiction a few times with insane pilots.

As for armament location, no, they're spread evenly over the mech. 1 each, Head, RT, LT, RA, LA.

I don't recall exactly how the 3050 upgrade looks.

DCMS Hatamoto remake of the Charger.

#126 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 31 January 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Ah yes, the hatamoto...

It is no longer a Charger though...

That's like calling a hell bringer a warhammer...

#127 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

To this day, I still advocate the return of the Hatamoto-Chi variants along with its Hero Mech.

#128 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

Lasers. Russ has spoken of laser vomit many times. It is his passion of the last six months. So that will change as always. But lets be honest, running as IS when clans had too much laser power was bad. Really bad. Playing clan when IS quirks on lasers are high is bad real bad. To the point I change allegiances based on quirks. But some mechs are just better. The issue is geometry, and number of mounts. The arms race for mounts is what destabilizes the game. This was a problem in the beginning and the mounts were kept standard but now there are more and more. The issue with the clans is that with the pods the mechwarrior gets too many mounts. The new IS mechs get too many mounts. I want the mounts because I like winning but I also admit they wreck balance. So the issue is not the quirks but the number of mounts. Thus I wonder why there is not a quirk based on the fewer weapons the better the individual weapons are. let the mech have one L Laser with silly range if they sack the use of the mounts thus reward fewer guns but do not punish more guns. I suggest this as there are realy 2 gun types that are reliably useful as a lone weapon, the AC 20 and the Gauss. As a locust I have used the quirked range on a large pulse and shot non stop in a game. My damage was a little north of 300. I did not miss. One gun is silly thus let one gun builds get those range quirks, two is good thus the range is not needed, three is ideal in the game now and heat is real here and more is death to a light in one shot. Being one shot is not fun.Thus my advice is make the quirk decay as hard points are used. nothing bad but if you want to boat your range is going to be normal. Deal with the mechanic that causes the problem (too many hard points with ranged weapons). On another note the M pulse is just barely too short range for how these maps are set up. Thus this weapon on the whole for IS needs some help as it is not a medium range engagement weapon.

#129 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Yes, thanks 8mmspikes for the summary, this gives me a lot of hope for this game (I suppose that was the point). PGI, please just make premium time usage based on how much you log in and reduce the days given if needs be. No one can play 24/7 to make use of it ;)

#130 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostIronClaws, on 30 January 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

That would be cool, but would not translate well into FPS, even I agree that some changes were necessary like the double armor and double internals in this game. I would like to see CW reward faction loyalty more though, but that seems to be coming with CW3.

It would have been best if MWO was based in the 3025-3039 era and neither Clans nor lostech were ever in the game, but it is too late for that now.

Agreed, they should have done 3025-3039...Eventually could have had a clan expansion pack if they really wanted. (Clans really broke the game) but as you said..to late.

View PostIronClaws, on 30 January 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I actually liked what I heard for the most part. The balance changes and rescaling sound good and the Kodiak is a good as bought.

I can guarantee you that it is not just competitive players who think that IS mechs are just a tad over-quirked at this point.

A little..yes...but is it overquirking ..or quirks plus clan negative quirks. remove neg quirks from clans...and gently adjust IS quirks..but not a big dramatic change.

#131 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 30 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

It's not a general nerf. It's a very specific nerf to a broken quirk. Now, I'm not about to sift out the gems from that four hour long video, so I'm just going by what people have said in the thread - but based on the Polar Highlands announcement, I'm pretty sure a lot of response is just demonstrating the Wizards' First Rule. Regardless, if we need the 20% base range the Thunderbolt 5SS is losing (assuming a total cap of 10% which is probably wrong) for MPLasers to be competitive, that's a problem with the weapon system. Without the huge outliers and data distortions generated by excessive quirks and their effects, it's also a problem that can actually be seen and fixed without breaking the balance of hyper-quirked builds.

Obviously the weapons system is broken...it was broken in Battletech. Clans were way OP. Honestly, I'd let clans have a 15-20% range boost for ER weapons. Give IS ERL same range as clan. Pulse laser ranges should be nearly the same..they are not ER.

Don't get me started on the streak ranges. But until russ fixes the weapons systems....quirks is what we got. And I still think quirks have a place on a smaller scale. Not all mechs should be cookie cutter. Mechs designed for PPC should do ppc a bit better. Mechs designed for Machine guns, should do machine guns a bit better not Autocannon or gauss.

#132 Racersky

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

Same story, no sense in wasting money on more mechs that I already have in "Inventory"/"mechLab" as INVALID. (Stripped them to bare bones). Just waiting on some content. Content being NOT purchasing anymore mechs or "colors" to paint my "INVALID" mechs. But hey, the game is just fine the way it is, just drop on something you cannot get until you have x "something", and go stompy stomp on some robots. Don't worry if current robot is not meta, I am sure enough players will "cry" crocodile tears, and there will be a "Quirking"/"Nerfing", to "balance" the game. At least PGI is trying to sell mechs, and colors, and whatever, to pay the bills and eat.

#133 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Nurf IS and Super buff clans, how can that go wrong?
Glad I got enough clan mechs ready for CW.

PGI: no half measures since 2012

#134 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Overgeneralization is bad thought.

What we have now is a situation where, despite paying heavy penalties for their superior range, the Clans cannot outrange the alternate tech base. That's not too bad of an issue in random pug drops, but it's a huge hole in balance for organized play. How can leaving that alone go right?

Those excessive range quirks were a mistake, and it's good that they're correcting them. It's not a huge, heavy-handed change like many of its detractors claim or imply - Inner Sphere 'mechs still have a vast array of heat reduction, beam duration, cooldown, structure, armor, and mobility quirks over their Clan counterparts.

All that's being done is to reign in the quirk system to be more like the fine-tuning mechanism it was intended to be - rather than a core element of faction balance, as it has become.

Edited by Void Angel, 01 February 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#135 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 01 February 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Nurf IS and Super buff clans, how can that go wrong?
Glad I got enough clan mechs ready for CW.

PGI: no half measures since 2012

LOL, this is not a super buff. Underperforming Clan mechs are getting slight buffs and removing the negative quirks, which are total BS on any mech, while only slightly diminishing the overly-generous buffs on some IS mechs? Seriously, I played both sides in the last two CW events and clans only won because they were more organized and had all the top-tier mercs on their sides, Does not matter what mechs you are in if you are on a pug team vs 12 organized players focus-firing you.

#136 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 01 February 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

LOL, this is not a super buff. Underperforming Clan mechs are getting slight buffs and removing the negative quirks, which are total BS on any mech, while only slightly diminishing the overly-generous buffs on some IS mechs? Seriously, I played both sides in the last two CW events and clans only won because they were more organized and had all the top-tier mercs on their sides, Does not matter what mechs you are in if you are on a pug team vs 12 organized players focus-firing you.

Removing all neg quirks + buffing comp + 57point alpha x 12 = super buff, Ill be stomping with these dont you worry.

#137 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 02 February 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Removing all neg quirks + buffing comp + 57point alpha x 12 = super buff, Ill be stomping with these dont you worry.

But if you are using tonnage and slots for that TC how will you be able to fit enough weapons and heatsinks? The TCs currently give larger crit bonuses if you fire fewer weapons at a time, so they compliment sniping more than brawling.

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 February 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#138 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:37 AM

View PostWill9761, on 31 January 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

To this day, I still advocate the return of the Hatamoto-Chi variants along with its Hero Mech.

If we can't have LAMs at least we should have melee. And more powerful jump jets for select lights. And collisions.

see? balance.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 03 February 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#139 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 03 February 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

If we can't have LAMs at least we should have melee. And more powerful jump jets for select lights. And collisions.

see? balance.

Brawling and collisions, yes, but if lights get better jumpjets, then I want to have some 0G or low-G maps so careless light pilots can float out into orbit (out of bounds).

#140 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

Where is that gorram Kodiak page?!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users