9 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

Anyone hear when the Clan Heros are going to be released?

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

When the game is truly ready to face Gausszilla.
Aka an Annihilator with 5 Gauss rifles on it.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

you cant charge up more than two gauss at once. thats what killed the 4 gauss direwolf.

supposedly were getting a timberwolf hero mech soon™

Edited by Khobai, 26 January 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hopefully never...

#5 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 26 January 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Hopefully soon...

FTFY.

Maybe Ward Timber Wolf? Or Phelan Kell Timber Wolf? Or totally random hero?

#6 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,657 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 26 January 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

FTFY.

Maybe Ward Timber Wolf? Or Phelan Kell Timber Wolf? Or totally random hero?

You didn't fix anything, we don't need more paywalled mechs. That and we are still waiting to hear how they would work afaik.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 26 January 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#7 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

Every clan pilot is a hero!

Posted Image

#8 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

We are ready to face that right now. The gauss not only has its stupid slingshot trigger mechanism, but a long recharge rate, and prevents more than two from being charged/fired simultaneously. It would also be very slow, vulnerable, and lack ammunition.

#9 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

The steam packs are kinda like clan hero mechs.

I bought the assault pack and have a 'hero' boosted Direwolf now, which is what I truly wanted.

Two or three town halls ago Russ said a TBR hero would be coming soon.

I'm curious as to how they're going to make a hero omni mech, will it be a battle mech or just have a unique center and the rest be parts from existing variants. The potential to make unique omni pods that other mechs can use is a balancing act that I think PGI can't handle.

They could lock the omni pods or only let the hero equip its own pods but no other mech can access them.
They could as I said use existing pods to make a hero but have a unique center torso.

I want the Medium pack or a Hero SCR, that is what feels missing from my collection since my IFR and SHC feel pretty weak compared to the SCR. They could always make a SCR with JJs and ECM, I'd pay for that power and I wouldn't complain about it either.

Edited by Xetelian, 26 January 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

People seem to miss the fact that Omnimechs throw a wrench in the current system of "balancing" hero mechs.

Normally, the way that a hero is "balanced" is that it gains some kind of different hardpoint options (and/or engine, etc.) and in this process it also loses some hardpoint options.

For example, the Misery gains a ballistic, and can do sword-and-board on its left side now. But in exchange, it loses the ability to carry lots of missiles. If the Misery was an Omnimech, it would not have this weakness because it could boat missiles AND use the ballistic at the same time, making the C-Bill Stalkers obsolete.

Another example may be the Sparky. It gains the most energy of any Griffin variant, two of which are mounted decently high. In exchange, it cannot carry any missiles and also can't use ECM. If it was an Omnimech, it could use missiles and ECM and a bunch of lasers all at the same time.

Or perhaps the Arrow. It can boat the most ballistics, but has no energy in the arms. Make it an Omni and suddenly it can do whatever a C-Bill BJ could do.

The IV-4 could use the ballistic arms and combine them with energy/missile torsos if it were an Omnimech.

The list goes on. Hero Battlemechs can sort of work because you have to accept both the strengths and the weaknesses of their hardpoint layouts. But Omnimechs get to do whatever they want with their non-CT hardpoints, which makes that balance approach impossible.

If even one single hero Omnipod was the best Omnipod for a given body part (e.g. left torso), then a player using that one good pod could slap on the other good free pods and be superior in combat to a player who does not own the Hero Omnimech...and I hope I don't have to explain the problem of such an event.

For example, the Summoner-M "Nicolai Malthus" hero would be superior to C-Bill Thors because it could use the energy LT and then pop on any other pods for other body parts that it wants to.

But wait, somebody is going to quote this and say "B-b-b-b-but Fuddy Duddy, just lock the hardpoints! I solveded the problem!" If you did that, then you invalidate the entire purpose of an Omnimech in the first place. They sacrifice their ability to change their internal items (engine, structure, armor, etc.) for the ability to shift hardpoints.

Clan heroes would best be reserved for just regular Battlemechs instead of Omnimechs, because PGI is never going to let people have access to free versions of the same hardpoint Omnipods.

Edited by FupDup, 26 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users