Stalkers

20 replies to this topic

#1 Metro Gnome

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hello again Gentlemen,

Ok last week I asked for your suggestions on which Atlas to buy, had excellent well explained responses, so this week it's Stalkers...which 3 would you recommend I grab during the sale?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Depends - do you have MC to spend, or just c-bills?

#3 Metro Gnome

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

C-bills only. No Misery for me :(

#4 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

3F/5S for LPulseLas
4N LLas boat
5M kind of all around laser and missile quirks (or something like this LLas with SRM backup)

I think that way.

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 26 January 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

I remember that Stalker being so bad at torso twisting, they have very limited rotation-range.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

I probably wouldn't put an XL in any Stalker. As limited a torso twist range most of them have, the side torsos are huge and you may die prematurely if you do it
-4N laser spam is a good idea - watch your heat and you'll be peachy.
Generic advice for any Stalker, you're hella slow for an 85 tonne mech unless you have tonnage to spare for a bigger engine, and you're much more fragile than your armour numbers would suggest

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

I would get the 4N and run the quad/penta large laser build, the 5S for dual AMS with large pulse or lurms and the 3F for mixed range loadout(either super stock or large lasers with boated srms).

300 STD for all these, endo on some.

Edited by Spheroid, 26 January 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#8 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:16 AM

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 26 January 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

I probably wouldn't put an XL in any Stalker. As limited a torso twist range most of them have, the side torsos are huge and you may die prematurely if you do it
....Generic advice for any Stalker, ... you're much more fragile than your armour numbers would suggest

I agree with the XLs in a Stalker, although I have a friend who swears by running XL in his Stalker lrm boat. Still, I'd strongly advise against XLs in Stalkers. Their side torsos are huge and are one the first things to get destroyed.

I disagree with their fragility, however. My 5M is a tank. I have 5 lrm 5s (Chain fired), a TAG, BAP, and 4 mlas. With proper support it really is amazing what those lrm 5s can do.

Just make sure you're on comms when you run a Stalker so that you can call for help if you get a light on your tail.

Good luck and hope to see you on the battlefield.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,924 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:26 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 26 January 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

I remember that Stalker being so bad at torso twisting, they have very limited rotation-range.

Yes...but do note the 3F has much better torso twist than the rest.
OP if you have the C-Bills, buying a 3F and then essentially gutting it and turning it into a 4LPL or 3LPL + selection of ML MPL, etc. style mid-range brawler is a good way to take advantage of that better twist-ability. If used properly not only does this let you shoot better, but more importantly, spread damage better.

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 27 January 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

Yes...but do note the 3F has much better torso twist than the rest.
OP if you have the C-Bills, buying a 3F and then essentially gutting it and turning it into a 4LPL or 3LPL + selection of ML MPL, etc. style mid-range brawler is a good way to take advantage of that better twist-ability. If used properly not only does this let you shoot better, but more importantly, spread damage better.

Not anymore. The 3H is there too now. 4LPL 3H is a great PUG mech.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,924 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

View PostTercieI, on 27 January 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

Not anymore. The 3H is there too now. 4LPL 3H is a great PUG mech.

Good to know! Never ran the 3H. Thanks.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

If you like stalkers, you have to have the misery.. at 35% off, if you can scrape up the cash, i would highly recommend it. It will also make the C-bill grind easier by 10m? Use that on modules..

Outside of that, The 3F is nice.. the 5M i had issues with finding a build i liked.. but i run most of my stalkers with missiles. I like missiles and stalkers just say missiles to me well and energy, but they just need missiles IMO. I play other mechs as energy only for the most part. The 4H sure, 4LPL build, but it also can boat run a pair of 15's or 20's with 4 or 6's and ML's which can be fun for puggin. It sorta plays like a Fat catapult C4

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 January 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

If you like stalkers, you have to have the misery.. at 35% off, if you can scrape up the cash, i would highly recommend it. It will also make the C-bill grind easier by 10m? Use that on modules..

Outside of that, The 3F is nice.. the 5M i had issues with finding a build i liked.. but i run most of my stalkers with missiles. I like missiles and stalkers just say missiles to me well and energy, but they just need missiles IMO. I play other mechs as energy only for the most part. The 4H sure, 4LPL build, but it also can boat run a pair of 15's or 20's with 4 or 6's and ML's which can be fun for puggin. It sorta plays like a Fat catapult C4

It's an amazing hero. In the nearly three years I've been playing, it's never been irrelevant. I can't think of another mech that's true of, certainly not another hero.

#14 Metro Gnome

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the input Gents, I went with the 4N, 5M and the 3H over the 3F because of it's quirks.

Hopefully there will also be a Misery in my future once I get some bills paid.

Seeya on the battlefield

manffred

#15 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostManffred, on 27 January 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

Thanks for the input Gents, I went with the 4N, 5M and the 3H over the 3F because of it's quirks.

Hopefully there will also be a Misery in my future once I get some bills paid.

Seeya on the battlefield

manffred

A note I didn't see mentioned, and is often sidelined on the 3h. It is the only stalker with 20 tube launchers. If you get bored with laser meta, throw in those 2 lrm 20 and go smash someone.

#16 Metro Gnome

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:59 AM

Hmmm didn't notice that. Thanks :)

#17 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

View PostTercieI, on 27 January 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

It's an amazing hero. In the nearly three years I've been playing, it's never been irrelevant. I can't think of another mech that's true of, certainly not another hero.

Amen.

My favorites are the 4N and 3H, beyond the Misery. 3F has nice twist, but I also like the zombie-ness of the 5M. I think I ran that with 3xLPL and 5xStreaks.

I'm pretty sure I had a 300 STD engine in all of them (and DHS, Endo).

#18 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostManffred, on 26 January 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

Hello again Gentlemen,

Ok last week I asked for your suggestions on which Atlas to buy, had excellent well explained responses, so this week it's Stalkers...which 3 would you recommend I grab during the sale?

Thanks in advance.

5M 4N and Misery
5S as well

Really it's hard to go wrong with any of the Stalker chassis. Some of it is going to come down to your individual play style and what you like to run.

Stalkers are a tricky mech at first, but also one of the best assault mechs in the game in my opinion. Their narrow forward profile is so slim that spreading damage is easy, turning broadside and major turning arcs to torso twist won't work in this mech like many other mechs.

You'll wind up "nodding" a lot to spread damage with minimal left-to-right twisting. This lets you put more damage in target while spreading incoming damage.

Each Stalker chassis has a set of quirks that, if you want, can really enhance it for certain roles as well. The Misery (hero mech) is also a really fun mech to run around in. Between the CT hardpoint and the bit ballistic hardpoint it's a beast to deal with a lot of times.

I can link a few Stalker builds I have in Smurfy if you'd like some examples of builds that have worked really well for me in the chassis.

#19 Metro Gnome

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Sandpit, that would be great. I'm still messing around a lot trying to find a build i'm comfortable with so any input would be good.

#20 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostManffred, on 28 January 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Thanks Sandpit, that would be great. I'm still messing around a lot trying to find a build i'm comfortable with so any input would be good.

metamechs.com

Covers the basics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users