Origins Pack?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:39 AM

As I looked at the actual challenge I stumbled over the origins pack. I'd like to get me some mechs for each weight class and I'm keen on supporting PGI financially, BUT... are those mechs any good?
I'm looking at https://mwomercs.com/origins , most probably the 80$ package. Did not see much Orion or Highlanders till now ingame.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:45 AM

View PostMadElderGod, on 28 January 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

As I looked at the actual challenge I stumbled over the origins pack. I'd like to get me some mechs for each weight class and I'm keen on supporting PGI financially, BUT... are those mechs any good?
I'm looking at https://mwomercs.com/origins , most probably the 80$ package. Did not see much Orion or Highlanders till now ingame.

the Jenner IIC is great realy fast and agile with Jumpjets and potentialy a heavier weapons payload than most mediums, certainly one of the best Light Mechs

the Hunchback IIC is also pretty good, with a lot of firepower ( potentialy more than most heavies) while being pretty fast and having Jumpjets

the Orion IIC looks great on paper but I have yet to give it much attention, and I did not get the Highlander IIC because I do not usualy like playing assaults

#3 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:02 AM

While we are at it, any thoughts on wave three? https://mwomercs.com/wavethree

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostMadElderGod, on 28 January 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

While we are at it, any thoughts on wave three? https://mwomercs.com/wavethree

Arctic Cheetah, great Mech, there are at current 3 realistic competitors for best combat Light, Artic Cheetah, Jenner IIC or Firestarter.
Shadow Cat, good Medium, arguably the best scout/sniper Mech in the game, but outclassed as a front line combat medium by HBK-IIC and SCR, however with MASC active it handles like a much lighter Mech
Ebon Jaguar, great heavy, fast like all the Clan Heavy omnimechs and has more weapons payload available than the Timber Wolf assuming both have max armor, probably the 2nd or 3rd best Clan Heavy.
I did not get the Executioner because I do not like assaults but from playing against it, it seems very agile and has great acceleration thanks to the MASC. however it has somewhat limited payload for weapons.

#5 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

I'm also debating on if i should pick up the Origin 2C bundle. Thinking of getting the hunchie level.

#6 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:12 AM

As I want to join Kurita sometime (as soon as I don't suck at piloting, for example), I'd need to have those IS mechs, that's why I now got the Origins package, instead of the Wave 3 package :)

#7 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:20 AM

View PostMadElderGod, on 28 January 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

As I want to join Kurita sometime (as soon as I don't suck at piloting, for example), I'd need to have those IS mechs, that's why I now got the Origins package, instead of the Wave 3 package :)

Hey buddy. Just so you know the IIC mechs fron the origins pack are all clan mechs. Just thought to give you heads up of you didn't know.

#8 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

Well, I guess clan Jade falcon is nice, too. Posted Image

#9 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Lol sorry to be the bringer of bad news. But they are pretty decent mechs. Run a bit hot most of then but they are still good imho. If you want IS mechs the resistance 2 pack is pretty good. Lots of laser boat mechs and the mauler is a pretty good assault mech.

#10 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostRobot Kenshiro, on 28 January 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

Lol sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

No need to be sorry, I'm really fine with clan :)
It's the error itself that bothers me, not its outcome.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostRobot Kenshiro, on 28 January 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

Hey buddy. Just so you know the IIC mechs fron the origins pack are all clan mechs. Just thought to give you heads up of you didn't know.

View PostMadElderGod, on 28 January 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

No need to be sorry, I'm really fine with clan Posted Image
It's the error itself that bothers me, not its outcome.

if you are not happy with the outcome send an email to billing@mwomercs.com explain the situation and explain that you wanted to play IS, ask if they can give you a refund so you can get one of the Resistance packs for IS Mechs, R2 looks better than the first Resistance pack.

Support are usualy pretty helpful.

#12 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

The wave three Ebon Jag pack is potentially the best 90 bucks you can spend if you are considering Clan factions for CW. 6 mechs with mechbays, 3 paint schemes, 12 colors to play around with plus some cockpit fluff. Ebon Jag and cheetah are very strong mechs with many great builds , and the shadowcat is excellent once you figure out how you want to play it.

WAve three is the only released pack that I suggest an interested new player buy. Normally if you miss the preorder phase there's just not enough value. But not so with those three mechs. I would not suggest buying the executioner though.

The ticket into innersphere CW is Resistance 2, Black knight is underrated. Crab and wolf hound are pretty slick. Not many build options on any of these three as they are all energy hardpoints. But plenty of mechs to get you going.

Edited by Rhavin, 28 January 2016 - 05:57 AM.

#13 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like OP already bought in, but for future readers I'd echo what Rhavin said. If I (1) didn't already have 3xACH, and (2) had $90 I could drop, I'd snap up that EBJ-level Wave 3 pack in a heartbeat. Might even go in for the fourth level as the trial EXE has been pretty fun.

A friend bought me the HGN-IIC a la carte and I'm a big fan, though it took me a while to figure them out...I'd already mastered them before I got to a consistently performing build. If you've never played a HGN--it is NOT a brawler. Stand back and hit priority targets, then push when the time comes. Good positioning is key. Make use of those jumpjets.

You'll need to swap in the C-XL-325 engine to make them relevant--I just bought one engine and rotated it for a while, bought a second one last week so I could run both in CW--but on the Prime and A variants you can get some excellent direct fire (3xCERPPC+CUAC5 and 2xCERPPC+2xCLPL respectively), and then the B is just LRMBoat Extraordinaire, if that's your thing. C-LRM70+Artemis/TAG with a CUAC5 to back it up. Here's some Smurfies (I didn't bother balancing the armor):

HGN-IIC(O) "Direct Fire Support": http://mwo.smurfy-ne...955fc7cc30858f4
HGN-IIC-A "Overwatch": http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0eedcee79b602a
HGN-IIC-B "Arty": http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90081eca0d74994 (I swap out the LA C-A-LRM15 for a Streak6+1T ammo if I'm solo queueing, helps me deal with lights, and the 360m range isn't bad at all).

Get Adv. Zoom for Prime and A. Both run hot--keep those PPCs on chain fire and you can get 2 shots of each plus 4 shots of the UAC5 before needing to get under cover and cool.

For B, you can also swap out the CUAC5 and some LRM ammo for a Gauss, but I find it's hard to get Gauss pot shots while LRMing and vice versa. Takes too much concentration for me and I tend to get left behind by my team or swarmed by lights.

The JN7 and HBK are great chassis regardless of tech base. If you do decide to go clan, it'll be nice to have a couple Clan BattleMechs to complement whichever OmniMechs you decide to buy.

#14 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

Just had some pretty good luck with this HGN-IIC-B on Caustic Valley (900+ dmg, 3 solo kills, 9 assists):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34d895469ffc47a

#15 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

I run the origins orions as a mini atlas, something simular to 2 med lasers, 1 ac 5 2 tons of ammo, and then streak 4s with 1 tons of ammo each, TC 1 and BAP. Dump rest in heat sinks. It's not a range mech at all. Have to join the push to put up big numbers but I can get 700 800 a game easy with alot of KMDs. Mech has 1.44 on heat, so you can keep steady stream of ACS and Streaks pretty easy.

The hunchback orgins mechs I run alot like their innersphere counterparts. I drop the ACS down a size and upgrade armor. Add an extra ton of ammo per weapon and heatsinks.

The highlanders I use LRMs, I don't approve of LRM assaults if they stay back, but with a UAC 10/ 3 ammo, 3 LRM 15 w Artemis / 6 ammo 2 med pulse and a tag laser, TC1 BAP and 7 Heatsinks on the HGN IIC 0 I have put up 1200 damage 6 KMDs, 12 assists 5 times. While I don't care for the mech personally, it is actually my best mech in the assault class. You push in and chain fire the LRMS till you are inside the range to brawl and then jack them up with the AC 10. Moves slow slow, so if I think I have a shot at getting an assist with the LRMS i take it, but for the most part I wait till 400 meters. The BAP and TC1 really increase your lock times enough to make the mech sing. The artemis + tag really allows your 45 missle volley to strip some armor at medium ranges. Once that armor is opened up you should be in range to take advantage of the medium lasers and uac 10s increased critical from the TC 1 and blow things up. You can open with the 10 and lasers sooner but the heat will leave you sitting dead in the push. Still best to find your crab or whale and push with them. If they are daka boats focus fire together to really tick the other pilot off.

I haven't even played with the jenners I bought yet, artic cheetah is my boy but I will get around to it one day.

Just wanted to point out that I don't upgrade the engines at all, I am not going to use these mechs for a drop deck so I elected to not spend the 4 or 5 million cbills on that.

Edited by Rhavin, 28 January 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#16 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

Honestly, while some of the Origins 'Mechs are decent, there are none that I would take over a Stormcrow, Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Arctic Cheetah. . . . . pretty much any of the other available Clan 'Mechs.

Their lack of any real quirks makes them squishier than IS 'Mechs, and their inability to trade out hardpoints makes them less useful than omnimechs.

#17 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostHavyek, on 28 January 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

Honestly, while some of the Origins 'Mechs are decent, there are none that I would take over a Stormcrow, Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Arctic Cheetah. . . . . pretty much any of the other available Clan 'Mechs.

Their lack of any real quirks makes them squishier than IS 'Mechs, and their inability to trade out hardpoints makes them less useful than omnimechs.

I agree. No standouts.

#18 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Think i'll just get the Jenner 2c.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users