6 replies to this topic

#1 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

So I bought Atlas-K and Atlas-D-DC last week (I like both of them, already had quite some fun with them) and I still can't decide which third variant I wanna buy.

On the one hand I like the 25% crit quirk and double ballistics option (despite the AC20 quirk) from the -D, but 2 missile slots for SRMs seems a bit low and I dont really want to spend much tonnage on LRMs when playing an Atlas.

The -S has these glorious 4 missile slots, but 4x SRM gets ghost heat and I imagine this would be a very hot build not allowing longer brawls, especially with those 4 lasers in addition to missiles. I thought about 3x SRM and 1x LRM15, but you simply dont have the slots in your left torso to do this.

I don't like long range so much, I'm usually the player leading the charge in an Atlas, pushing aggressively when the match allows it while having lots of HP to keep my enemy busy while teammates get into position and deal damage.

So....what would your recommendation be? -D or -S?

Edited by Exard3k, 28 January 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

There is no longer ghost heat on the forth SRM. I say Atlas-S.

#3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

The S is the best Atlas, bar none. The question should be "what third variant do I buy to level the S and D-DC?" And the answer is: Doesn't matter, those are the two you want (the the Boar's Head is actually decent and an absolute hoot if you're willing to buy it, it's steep even on sale).

#4 XxRimonsterxX

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVancouver ,B.C

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

The Atlas-S all the way. trust me im steiner ;) There is no better brawler. 4XSRM 4 and an AC20 is my favorite due to the quicker cooldown over the 6s. Use 4 MLs as back up, nothing lasts more than 10 seconds brawling that thing one on one

#5 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

Thank you guys...I'm gonna buy an Atlas-S then. Its also a bit cheaper because of the built-in double heat sinks.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostExard3k, on 28 January 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Thank you guys...I'm gonna buy an Atlas-S then. Its also a bit cheaper because of the built-in double heat sinks.

Enjoy. It's a beast. One of this light pilot's guilty pleasures. :)

#7 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

For an Atlas D build to be worth considering over the Atlas S, it really needs to use the second ballistic slot since that's all it has over the Atlas S. Unfortunately, there have not been a lot of good builds around lately which do that. For flat-out brawling, the Atlas S can't really be beaten since it can carry an AC20, 4 SRM's of whatever type you like, and some medium lasers. The Atlas DDC carries a lighter payload, but has ECM, allowing it to sneak within brawling distance easier, which is a fair trade. The Atlas D, with its rather balanced weapon options, is just in a tough spot now, though at least it's not in as deep a hole as the Atlas RS and Atlas K.

Edited by oldradagast, 31 January 2016 - 09:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users