- - - - -

Low Ping And Hsr - Does It Matter?

Question

16 replies to this topic

#1 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

I typically have a ping on NA servers below 40. Often it is in the low-to-mid 20's. It generally never goes above 40 except in occasional spikes.

(Euro ping is around 110-120, Oceanic 240-280)

Occasionally I take a lot of shots that look like they connect (this is with lasers), and usually even leave the glowing damage mark on the target - however at match end I see that I have done very little damage overall.

I am aware of burn time, time on target effects etc. Also that a 'sweep' with lasers (say across a fast-moving target) may not register much damage or maybe none at all. This is part of the issue certainly but it doesn't seem consistent with other matches.

What I do notice (anecdotally, I haven't been keeping records on it) is that most of my oddly-low damage matches have ping times of 20-25 ms.

I see some threads saying HSR penalizes low pings, but they are old and don't seem to be well-supported by evidence-based arguments.

Is low ping currently a problem with HSR? Is there an 'optimum' ping range? Is there a workaround if you are cursed (as I am) with the horrors of 'good internet service'? (shudder)

#2 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

I don't think there's any evidence like you've already pointed out. I will however say that your opponent's ping is also a factor. Sometimes HSR does its best, but the lag shield and phantom hitboxes win the day.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

There are more factors, however being of low ping isn't quite one of them.

One important factor is enemy movement. Specifically the animations in which you see movement. A perfect example is the Stormcrow. Between moving at 97+ kph and the high bounce of its steps, a shot towards the torso (without any intention of spreading and with impossibly perfect aim at the middle of the side torso's fuselage section) and laser lasting a single second will hit:
the side torso,
arm,
side torso,
center torso,
cockpit,
center torso,
side torso,
arm,
side torso,
center torso,
leg of the side you're firing from,
center torso,
side torso,
arm and the burn will end there.

That's quite a list. That's hitting exactly one spot of the enemy mech and keeping your elevation of fire and tracking to hit that same spot horizontally while the enemy mech is moving at full speed. This is because the mech bounces like a skipping school girl with every step. It is also one of the many reasons the Stormcrow is so popular.

If you find you are consistently having trouble delivering damage, try adjusting your aim a bit more downwards. Then your spread is "left leg" "right leg" and that is it.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

Also, have you checked your weapon ranges? A medium laser will only do maximum damage to its listed range. After that, the damage drops off, so you may be doing minimal damage with each hit.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

Its also very important to check weapon ranges.
Yes you can do damage past the stated range, but even with a hit if you do 2x the stated range you are doing exactly 0 damage.
If you do 7/4ths the stated range you're doing 25% damage. 6/4ths and you're doing 50% damage. 5/4ths and you're doing 75% damage.

Also: Do not believe it has been implemented yet but it may have -- If you do not have the enemy you are shooting at targeted, your laser weaponry's damage will be impeded. A mechanic PGI's invented to help curb mass laser vomit + sharp shooting.

#6 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm wondering the same thing, i seemingly doing best on US servers with 120-150 ms while on EU servers ive around 20-30 but i usualy do better on the US servers. Oceanic i've 300+ but usualy do good there aswell, brawling is abit annoying with 300 ms though, because the circle of death seems to get out of sync with high ms.

#7 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am aware of the damage falloff past optimal range, although have no real feel for how quickly it falls off.

The specific battle that occurred before I wrote the OP, I was using a setup of 3 IS LL (with quirked optimum range 495, so presumably 0 dmg at 990) with 3 MPL (pretty sure they are at 240 with quirks). I took quite a few shots with the 3xLL at ranges from brawling to about 850 metres, most of them long range. I had a couple mediums and a scout run in close and I hit them with the 3xMPL as well as the 3xLL, although these were sweeping hits as they were running a circle around me. (This was Polar Highlands so fairly clear shooting)

While there is plenty of room here for bad shots, damage falloff, etc... in other matches where similar fighting takes place I do 200-400 damage (ish). This match? 112 dmg. Ping had been running 20-21-22 the whole match (somewhat lower than usual for me).

Easily could have been just a wonky match for me, I only mentioned it because it's probably the 3rd or 4th match in the past few weeks where I have had a low-ping/low damage (for the shots taken) matchup.

I'll keep a more disciplined eye on it and see if I can spot anything more detailed.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:43 AM

I tend to get the best experiance on eht euro server with around 40 ping, the experience is still OK on the NA server with 90-110 ping, however I do not usualy play the oceanic server with 250-300 ping as that does tend to be a significantly worse experience

#9 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 January 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Its also very important to check weapon ranges.
Yes you can do damage past the stated range, but even with a hit if you do 2x the stated range you are doing exactly 0 damage.
If you do 7/4ths the stated range you're doing 25% damage. 6/4ths and you're doing 50% damage. 5/4ths and you're doing 75% damage.

Also: Do not believe it has been implemented yet but it may have -- If you do not have the enemy you are shooting at targeted, your laser weaponry's damage will be impeded. A mechanic PGI's invented to help curb mass laser vomit + sharp shooting.

The feature you are talking about was tested on the PTS, but was scrapped due to mass outcry on it. I think it wasn't even working as they intended originally, and there was a lot of confusion on how the mechanic worked etc. It might return in some later form, but I hope they can find another way to curb boated lasers.

#10 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 28 January 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm wondering the same thing, i seemingly doing best on US servers with 120-150 ms while on EU servers ive around 20-30 but i usualy do better on the US servers. Oceanic i've 300+ but usualy do good there aswell, brawling is abit annoying with 300 ms though, because the circle of death seems to get out of sync with high ms.

Maybe you Europeans are just that much better than us Yankees :P

#11 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

HSR generally runs into trouble because of unstable connections. It's why I can't play on the Euro servers, my ping tends to bounce all over the place and my hit reg generally goes to pot. As long as the difference in ping between you and what you are shooting at isn't too extreme and is consistent, HSR seems to cope just fine.

#12 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 January 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

I actually want to say they scrapped the idea entirely due to community backlash, but I could be wrong.

Can anyone confirm this?

View PostBoulangerie, on 29 January 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

The feature you are talking about was tested on the PTS, but was scrapped due to mass outcry on it. I think it wasn't even working as they intended originally, and there was a lot of confusion on how the mechanic worked etc. It might return in some later form, but I hope they can find another way to curb boated lasers.

I should learn to read more before posting...

Edited by Mason West, 29 January 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#13 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

I play with ~700 ms latency to the server on average, but it's a very consistent delay. I'd never considered how the consistency of my delay contributes to the game's playability for me.

Early on in MWO, I noticed the HSR was far more forgiving to me with such high latency. That was improved markedly before the "official" launch. My first mastered 'Mech was a SDR-5D, and I was an insane spider pilot. I don't pilot that 'Mech as much now, because HSR has gotten so much better, it's near impossible for me to do as I once did and proverbially thread-the-needle of the enemy 'Mech's legs and survive long enough to do that several times in one match. Now, I'm lucky if I can take a single pass through the enemy team without getting turned into a fine mist of spun metal.

I'd venture to say that despite this game's excellent HSR, lower ping is always better. One of the side effects of lower ping might be that it requires a slightly faster reaction time on the part of the player. I'll be able to address this question as a qualified expert after I have access to a true broadband connection, which should happen this year. For now, I have to settle for satellite.

#14 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostThroet, on 29 January 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

I play with ~700 ms latency to the server on average, but it's a very consistent delay. I'd never considered how the consistency of my delay contributes to the game's playability for me.

Early on in MWO, I noticed the HSR was far more forgiving to me with such high latency. That was improved markedly before the "official" launch. My first mastered 'Mech was a SDR-5D, and I was an insane spider pilot. I don't pilot that 'Mech as much now, because HSR has gotten so much better, it's near impossible for me to do as I once did and proverbially thread-the-needle of the enemy 'Mech's legs and survive long enough to do that several times in one match. Now, I'm lucky if I can take a single pass through the enemy team without getting turned into a fine mist of spun metal.

I'd venture to say that despite this game's excellent HSR, lower ping is always better. One of the side effects of lower ping might be that it requires a slightly faster reaction time on the part of the player. I'll be able to address this question as a qualified expert after I have access to a true broadband connection, which should happen this year. For now, I have to settle for satellite.

I thought their confidence level in HSR performance was ~450ms range. You are well outside of that. My ping to Oceanic is around 380ms and stable. I played a few matches one night and quickly unchecked the box. I have no idea how someone can play with a ping that high. I salute you.

#15 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

To add to Bilbo's comment and other comments, I usually play with NA and EU checked. I find the effects of the extra lag to EU (120 ping EU vs avg around 30 for NA) to be virtually undetectable from my end... so in those cases HSR seems to be working fine.

Going to Oceanic servers with 260-280 ping I do notice the lag... it isn't horrible or even unplayable but it definitely affects my performance.

Still keeping an eye on matches to see if I can confirm any ping/performance correlations but overall I have to say it works across most situations.

#16 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Ping <300 acceptable to perform well and do good kills for your team.

#17 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 30 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

Ping <300 acceptable to perform well and do good kills for your team.

Well, I suppose my latency of ~700 ms is unacceptable then. Too bad I routinely get top match score... Oh well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users