What Is Up With The Mad Dog?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

I've got maxed out armor on all locations with this thing. I die to someone sneezing on me. There is no torso twisting damage away in this thing. Am I cursed? Is there something going on like a hidden majorly negative armor/structure quirk of which I'm unaware? Someone clue me in because I feel like I'm driving a Hetzer here.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

It has very large side torso hitboxes, and a torso shape that makes it very easy to intuitively pinpoint the location of those hitboxes. Its arms also are in a position that can't shield it from most angles, adding more fuel to the fire.

Carrying the default armor and structure of only a 60 tonner doesn't help, nor does a merely average torso twist radius/agility.

I've suggested structure quirks for the Mad Doge side torsos for quite some time now. The bonus would vary based on the number of hardpoints involved... The pods with 3 missiles get no boost, 2-missile pods get a moderate boost, 1-missile pods get a big boost, and 0-hardpoint pods get an OMGWTFBBQ boost.

Edited by FupDup, 28 January 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#3 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

put the mdd-c left arm on and use it as your shield... it's got an extra +20 armor i use my right arm for energy, or the other ballistic pod for right arm has same +20 armor.. gotta sword and board baby

Edited by 1Grimbane, 28 January 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

Tons to squishy ratio, mad dog wins hands down. It is one of the squishiest heavies, and its height/size/profile does not help in the least.

#5 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

6 x ssrm6, tag, and bap, and away you go

900+ damage matches as far as the eye can see

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

View Post1Grimbane, on 28 January 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

put the mdd-c left arm on and use it as your shield... it's got an extra +20 armor i use my right arm for energy, or the other ballistic pod for right arm has same +20 armor.. gotta sword and board baby

A sword-and-board Mad Dog just does not sound right to me. Ewww! But that's MWO for you.

#7 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

It's a support mech. IMHO the ebon jag does everything it can do, better, except have 6 missile hardpoints.

You have to play it exactly like you describe, like it has paper thin armor. which means hang back, avoid 1v1 with anything approaching a brawler setup, and either LRB things, or ambush with streaks or SRM's. I've found that waiting till people are all engaged, then swooping in and whacking badguys when they're too busy to shoot back quickly works well. Just shoot then move to cover quickly.

#8 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

View PostMadcap72, on 28 January 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

It's a support mech. IMHO the ebon jag does everything it can do, better, except have 6 missile hardpoints.

You have to play it exactly like you describe, like it has paper thin armor. which means hang back, avoid 1v1 with anything approaching a brawler setup, and either LRB things, or ambush with streaks or SRM's. I've found that waiting till people are all engaged, then swooping in and whacking badguys when they're too busy to shoot back quickly works well. Just shoot then move to cover quickly.

You mean.... like a Vulture? Posted Image

#9 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

I wouldn't call the Maddog a heavy. It has wet cardboard for armor and durability. Even by clan standards these days. Anyone looks in your general direction, half your mech is gone....Not to mention how low all the direct fire hard-points are. It's always been like that though.

Surprised it got overlooked in the recent balance pass. Actually that's not true, through a 50 page PDF of quirks in the re-balance, 48 pages were IS buffs. in the 2 pages devoted to clan mechs, the MDD-C was the only Clan mech to get an improved quirk - +20 armor to the arms.

https://mwomercs.com...rk%20Values.pdf

Edited by W A R K H A N, 28 January 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

My favourite mech (in BT Posted Image ).

In MWO the MDD-Prime feels like it has the armour of a medium and the maneuverability of a "fast" assault. And no Endo means it can't carry enough DHS to use anything remotely like its original weapons....not that many clan mechs can keep their stock weapons due to pgi's meltyouinasecond heat system.

#11 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostMystere, on 28 January 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

A sword-and-board Mad Dog just does not sound right to me. Ewww! But that's MWO for you.

works quite well lol. sometimes i run the 6x lrm5's with an cuac-10 in right arm... makes people wish they hadn't charged the lurm boat otherwise i use 2 or 3 er med in right arm with the left arm stripped down to 10 armor... (but it's still 30 cuz or armor bonus)

Edited by 1Grimbane, 29 January 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#12 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 28 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I've got maxed out armor on all locations with this thing. I die to someone sneezing on me. There is no torso twisting damage away in this thing. Am I cursed? Is there something going on like a hidden majorly negative armor/structure quirk of which I'm unaware? Someone clue me in because I feel like I'm driving a Hetzer here.

Like others have mentioned, it's not you. Since the MDD is not terribly tanky you're forced to adapt your play style in order to be successful. It wasn't meant to be a front line mech in lore, and that's pretty much how it translated into the game, intentional or otherwise.

Once you find a build and a tactical approach that works for you it can be a fun, viable mech, but until then, well, you know what that's like already.

View PostWolfways, on 28 January 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

My favourite mech (in BT Posted Image ).

In MWO the MDD-Prime feels like it has the armour of a medium and the maneuverability of a "fast" assault. And no Endo means it can't carry enough DHS to use anything remotely like its original weapons....not that many clan mechs can keep their stock weapons due to pgi's meltyouinasecond heat system.

To be fair, it couldn't really handle its stock loadout's heat load for TT either.

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

It's just a bit big for the armor that a 60 tonner can bring

#14 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 29 January 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

To be fair, it couldn't really handle its stock loadout's heat load for TT either.

But there's still a huge difference between TT heat generation and MWO heat generation.

#15 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostMystere, on 28 January 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

MWO allows it, it also allows people that try it to get blown out of thier socks with the low arms, giant target side torsos's and light weight for a heavy with a mediums armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users