9 replies to this topic

#1 Spam Lanwalker

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • Locationin a kitchen, always :(

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

wondering which variants to get as i think this could be the chassis that will finally endear me to assault mechs :)

also looking for a decent build for the bw warhammer if anyone knows a decent one ?

thanks muchley :)

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

I am, personally a fan of the 1D, 1G an 1S. The rest are all too energy heavy for me.

But then I am not you. Consider this well before accepting my advice.

~Leone.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

They are all fantastic. However I would get the three that are most adaptable per their hardpoints. Probably the 1G, 1S and 2C.

#4 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

1G,3M,1S

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Agreed with -1G, -1S, and -2C.

-1G I have in the (P) Phoenix (like a dummy, I sold the other two from that pack long ago). Five torso energy hard points, plus some missile and ballistic stuff. GREAT quirks.

-1S has the four (4) Missile hard points, with two of those in the torso. Also good quirks.

-2C has the ridiculously good structure quirks (only one of the lot to get this, as others get ONLY arm armor quirks) and really handy movement quirks (acceleration, deceleration, turn rate, twist rate).

I build my -1G with 5x ERLL, my -1S with 4x LPL, and my -2C with 2x ASRM-6 and 5x MPL, as well as DUAL AMS (handy recently, with LRMs trying to make a comeback). Standard engines across the board, though it's relatively XL-friendly (they tend to lose CT before LT or RT) and the -2C might be the most XL-friendly of the lot with its structure quirks.

Black Widow builds? That's a tough one. Closest thing I've found so far centered around 4x AC/2, but that's not really good. It's just derp. Some folks like to shoehorn LPLs or ERLLs in there, but with only TWO (2) torso energy hard points, and with the ape-ish arms plugging a lot of shots into the nearest speed bump, I'm not a fan. It's a candidate for dual-Gauss, but you're gonna sacrifice a lot for that. Or you could recreate my -6R "Doom Nipples" build on it, with 4x ML and 2x AC/10 (or sub-in the LB-10X). Yup. BW is an odd duck of a hero mech, and I've yet to really take mine out of the mech bay.

#6 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Ones I own/have owned

1S: Standard issue LRM boat. Stick a decent sized XL engine in it, and you got a mech with a respectable tube count, plenty of ammo, and still enough room for medium laser backup or a high mounted TAG. A servicable short-ranged brawler too but probably best played as LRM support. Great for challenges and instilling PUG rage.

1G: I didn't like the limited torso twist, but you can get a pretty balanced loadout. Sold it a while ago so it might be differet now. Lots of medium laser quirks which would be nice to pair with an AC20 but the biggest you can get in the arms of the BLR is an AC10 or Gauss, unfortunately.

1D: Used to be a big favorite of mine for DPS ballistic support. Would run with AC5+AC2s, and a large laser or two in the chest. Unfortunately clan mechs like the Dire Wolf and Ebon Jag are very good at this, and even on the IS side you have the Marauder and King Crab. The arm mounts are low and you don't have the sheer tonnage like the Crab to compensate for them. Nowadays I don't mess with Inner Sphere ballistics much unless it's an AC20. Much more a laser guy now!

3S: Just bought this one during the sale and loving it so far. Medium pulse quirks so I like to put 6 MPL in the chest, and round the build out with either SRMs or LRMs, depending on if I want even more punch up close, or harassing power. It's funny when enemies rush you thinking you're an LRM boat and end up taking a cool 36 points of damage over 0.6 quick seconds. It's got a nice torso twist range. Also worth ditching the missiles to reduce hitbox size and mount Large or Large Pulse Lasers. I'm enjoying the heck out of this mech!

Ones I haven't played:

3M: Has 8 energy hardpoints for true laserboat potential, but gimped torso twist like the 1G. You only get 6 in the chest, the other 2 are low in the arm.

2C: Lots of excellent quirks for health and agility. Good torso twist. Only 5 energy hardpoints mounted high in the chest, the 6th one is low in the arm. I might get this one in the future (or if I can make enough cbills before sale ends)

Hellslinger: Costs real money, doesn't stand out enough for me to get it.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

View PostSpam Lanwalker, on 29 January 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

wondering which variants to get as i think this could be the chassis that will finally endear me to assault mechs Posted Image

also looking for a decent build for the bw warhammer if anyone knows a decent one ?

thanks muchley Posted Image

for the Battlemaster that depends on what you want, the 1S is arguably the best assault for LRMs, run an XL400 in one of the 6 torso laser variants and you are effectively an oversize medium on terms of role and handling,

as for the Black Widow I am having great fun and doing pretty well with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6a6dd84fc82cf77
just walk towards the enemy firing everything at the enemy CT and the enemy seem to fall over, admittedly this works better if allies are walking beside you, when you start running hot stop firing the LPLs and you will not overheat unless on a hot map.

#8 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

I am looking at the Battlemasters also because of the sale.

I found a good review at Metamechs:

http://metamechs.com...s/battlemaster/

I particularly like that I can fit them out as very good laser mechs to start, but have the option to make good ballistic or missile mechs out of them later.

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 29 January 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

They are all fantastic. However I would get the three that are most adaptable per their hardpoints. Probably the 1G, 1S and 2C.

/signed

#10 Spam Lanwalker

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • Locationin a kitchen, always :(

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

cheers for the info guys :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users