Mech As Gift?

Question Help Me

17 replies to this topic

#1 b l a c k w i d o w

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

Hi All!

So, I made this account for the sole purpose of asking this question, and I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for it. Long story short, my boyfriend is a huge MWO fan, and I was really wanting to gift him a new mech. Is this possible? If so, is there a way to do so with out him knowing? I honestly don't have a clue where to begin when it comes to builds, and what one would be the best (assuming/hoping I can gift one to him to begin with) so any comments/suggestions would be so appreciated. He has a pretty insane collection from what I've seen, so it would be awesome if there were limited edition or collection mechs available to pick from. Thanks in advance!

Posted Image

Edited by b l a c k w i d o w, 29 January 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Yes, comepletely doable.

Best part is, no need to build it. He'd get the stock mech as purchasable, an getta retool it himself. The trick will be finding out what he doesn't have, without letting him in on it.

Edit: Right! so, to gift someone mechs, go to the store tab from here, an they'll have packages an gift store. (Click the gift store.)

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 29 January 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#3 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

On the main page there is a tab for the store, simply click on it and then go to gift packs. There are alot of options.

Can buy Packs which are 3 to 12 mechs. Price is 20 to 120 dollars.
Can buy Mastery Packs which are 17 to 41 dollars, they have 3 mechs and 30 days game time
Can also buy varying amounts of premium game time

As Leone said, trick is figuring out what he doesn't have. Another option if you can't figure out what he has is to wait till the next release is announced and buy that for him before he gets it himself.

There are some limited edition mechs but they are priced at a ridiculous 500 dollars.

#4 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

Just a note, the next mech is supposedly the Kodiak and it will probably be purchasable sometime in the next month.

#5 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

Keep in mind that, if it isn't easy to pick a mech he doesn't have, it is a good bet to buy a 'Hero Add-on' for a pack he already bought but didn't spring for the extra hero. (That means he wanted the mech, didn't want to pay extra $$ for the hero)

Hero Add-Ons apply to the Archer, Warhammer, Marauder and Rifleman packs.

The Origins IIC Clan pack is fairly recent, if he hasn't already purchased IIC mechs.

PGI often gives special 'loyalty rewards' to people who have purchased 'Top Tier' levels of any pack. The IIC Clan pack at $80 and the Resistance and Resistance II Inner Sphere packs at $80 each are the cheapest top tier packs. Then you are gifting him the mechs PLUS any loyalty rewards that appear down the road.

If you have trouble figuring out which mechs he might want, just express a mild interest and ask him to show you why he likes having so many mechs to play. He'll probably take you through the whole collection. :)

A great gift would be a pure MC purchase (in-game cash currency he can buy whatever he wants with), but that is not in the Gift shop yet afaik. However if you contacted PGI support and told them that is what you wanted to do, they are pretty helpful.

Finally, the 'gift that keeps on giving' would be a 'premium time' purchase, which IS in the gift shop. Again you may need to check to make sure he doesn't already have more of this than he needs (frequent pack purchasers can end up with a ton of it).

Good luck and happy gifting!

#6 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hmm,

I smell troll...

Let me see if I have this right, your "boyfriend"....is a "huge MWO fan".... and he has an "insane" mech collection...

Yeah right, like that guy even HAS a girlfriend...

Posted Image

Ok, seriously, I'd recommend just gifting him the next mech pack that becomes available. That way you know he doesn't already have it.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

If able snoop around his forum profile while logged in. Every mech he owns should be listed their. Also there is a tab for preorders of content not yet delivered but purchased.

If a he is Clanner definitely preorder that Kodiak. If he favors the Inner Sphere perhaps one of the standalone classic mech packages or a hero upgrade for one already owned.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

View PostRhavin, on 29 January 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

There are some limited edition mechs but they are priced at a ridiculous 500 dollars.

Were. One of my buddies is sad that they stopped selling them - because he was going to buy the two that he didn't yet have.

If you think it's ridiculous, you're not the target market (of course, neither am I.)

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

On topic, I wouldn't preorder anything on his account - that could lead to undesirable consequences like his thinking his account had been compromised (technically true) and demanding a refund of your gift. =) Simply gift him the next new 'mech, unless you can find out what 'mechs he has available.

On the advice of my nonexistent lawyer, I cannot condone the electronic penetration of any person's online accounts.

Edited by Void Angel, 30 January 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#10 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

Um, you can buy a gift mech for another player without "violating" their account. Simply buy it as a gift and PM them the gift code.

Done and done.

#11 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 30 January 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

Were. One of my buddies is sad that they stopped selling them - because he was going to buy the two that he didn't yet have.

If you think it's ridiculous, you're not the target market (of course, neither am I.)

Personally, I also think it is ridiculous. But I have absolutely no problem with it. There is a place for ridiculous, especially in a video game. And I also want to express my heartfelt thanks for the people that purchased some of them, more money going into the game means more and better stuff for ALL of us that play.

#12 b l a c k w i d o w

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

No troll here, I promise! Thank you all for the suggestions, though. They've been really helpful. If I were to check out his profile- is there any way he'd be able to see who's visited it?

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Yes. If you look at, say, my profile (or yours,) you'll see the latest visitors. For example, when I clicked on your name just now, I could see that Spheroid had recently visited your account. However, this is not something I personally check on purpose - and does he know your account is, well, you?

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 30 January 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Let me see if I have this right, your "boyfriend"....is a "huge MWO fan".... and he has an "insane" mech collection...

Though I'm probably not this girl's boyfriend (don't see my girl jumping on here to do this), you've described me and I've got a girlfriend. :P Also signature. Just 'cause.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

View Postb l a c k w i d o w, on 31 January 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

No troll here, I promise! Thank you all for the suggestions, though. They've been really helpful. If I were to check out his profile- is there any way he'd be able to see who's visited it?

Posted Image
That said: You'd have to have the ability to give him the "code" for the gift which he has to redeem. How you'll do that anonymously, who knows? Personally I think you should take credit for being an awesome girlfriend and helping his collection.

Edited by Koniving, 31 January 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

You can't check another poster's inventory. You can check your own however. All I am suggesting is verifying what is owned while the giftee is AFK and then sending said gift via a redemption code in an email, valentine or something similar. Not purchasing on his MWO account.

Any enthusiast most likely would have all of the existing competitive mechs so a gift of the newest or unreleased ones are your best bet. Failing that bulk premium time is always a useful gift.

Posted Image

Edited by Spheroid, 31 January 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#17 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:32 AM

View Postb l a c k w i d o w, on 31 January 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

I do hope you realize I was just kidding about the "troll". Very cool of you to get your boyfriend a gift he will obviously enjoy. Welcome to MWO, and hopefully you will play a little too.

#18 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostKoniving, on 31 January 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Though I'm probably not this girl's boyfriend (don't see my girl jumping on here to do this), you've described me and I've got a girlfriend. Posted Image Also signature. Just 'cause.

Hey Kon,

Well, that explains your long absence... Posted Image

And you thought GAMES were expensive... just wait... especially when they hit college age.

Congrats on the new mechwarrior in the family. We need more Liao pilots!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users