Faction Restrictions Of First Mech?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

I just finished the tutorial and earning my 25 cadet rewards on the starter mech. I'm looking to buy my first real mechs, but I can't find any information on faction restrictions. Can I create separate character/toons on my account? (One for innersphere roleplaying and one for Clan). Would this require a second account? Is a second account even possible on the same e-mail?

Or is this all moot. Am I allowed to play whichever mechs I like? Does it differ for CW and Quickplay?

Posted Image I'd really appreciate some answers, so I don't blow my starting money... TY.

#2 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

In non-CW play, you can field any mech you want.

In CW, you are either playing on the IS side and can only use IS mechs or you play Clan side and can only field Clan mechs.

Quite a few people have two different accounts, one for IS and one for Clan, btw.

#3 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

You can play any mech you like.

However, when you sign up with a faction you can only use that faction's tech base in Community Warfare. It doesn't matter either way for quick matches, though, and no mechs are restricted only to a certain faction(s)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

as the others have said in quick play you can use any Mech you want to regardless of any faction or unit you may be part of, however for Faction Play you can only use faction relevent Mechs

Clan Mechs (cannot be used by the Inner Sphere factions in faction play)
Spoiler

Inner Sphere Mechs (cannot be used by the Clan factions in faction play)
Spoiler

#5 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I'll look into a second account later... for now the Character I'm playing is an old mechwarrior 1st edition tabletop RPG character, so Innersphere merc it will be.

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostRobinson Crusher, on 30 January 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I'll look into a second account later... for now the Character I'm playing is an old mechwarrior 1st edition tabletop RPG character, so Innersphere merc it will be.

Also, if you drop Group in a unit they might stipulate what faction/mech you use. Some larger Units try to synergize loadouts and such.

Also with the upcoming range nerf to IS mechs, you may want a mech thats more 'change resistant', like a Stalker or something that doesnt rely on quirked range.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

One thing to consider is that you can switch sides in CW. Take a week long contract with an clan, and then Join up as an IS loyality, only to cancel that contract (At high expense,) so as to go clan again when you wanna. (Disclaimer, this CW beta three considerations only, word is, contract styles'll change next CW version.)

I personally own more Inner Sphere mech'n Clan ones, but spent most of my time fighting with Clan Jade Falcon. Of course, my unit likes to switch things up every now an then so we getta use all our mechs.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 30 January 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#8 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Can I use my King Crab? I'd heard I couldn't.

I have a few mechs now, but the only two I like are the Raven and the KC. The Raven has dual ER lasers, good for being annoying, not so good for close quarters combat with other small mechs. The KC is the steam version with 4 AC5s and 3 ml.
Dakka... Hard being in the right place at the right time, but when you do, it's sweet.

I also have a 4 ml cicada that is useless. And a Direwolf with gauss rifles, which I have trouble with. At some point I might put AC20s on that and make it a brawler.

I don't have a heavy yet, and need a good medium. Think I need something good for CW.

Anyway, I should get a soundcard that is good with headphones monday. And sometime soon I'll be getting a headphone/mike thingy. Not sure which one to get. Once I get headphones, I am going to try the CW thing.

Have they nerfed the AC5 recently? Doesn't seem to work as well recently, prob just me.

Edited by runciblelate, 31 January 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

View Postrunciblelate, on 31 January 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

Can I use my King Crab? I'd heard I couldn't.

I have a few mechs now, but the only two I like are the Raven and the KC. The Raven has dual ER lasers, good for being annoying, not so good for close quarters combat with other small mechs. The KC is the steam version with 4 AC5s and 3 ml.
Dakka... Hard being in the right place at the right time, but when you do, it's sweet.

I also have a 4 ml cicada that is useless. And a Direwolf with gauss rifles, which I have trouble with. At some point I might put AC20s on that and make it a brawler.

in faction play you can absolutely use your King Crab provided you are under contract to an Inner Sphere faction, the Mechs you have mentioned are mostly IS Mechs.
if you take the King Crab that is 100 of your 260 tons used.the Dire Wolf is a Clan Mech so cannot be used at the same time as the other Mechs

if you like the Raven why dont you like the Cicada? you can absolutely do a 2-3 ERLL load out on most variants of Cicada with similar speed to the Raven if you like that loadout on the Raven
these are just for demo purposes, ignore the armor layout
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...056ba41108956e9
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9004d8e9f35b76b

#10 Maineiacal Maineiac

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 31 January 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

in faction play you can absolutely use your King Crab provided you are under contract to an Inner Sphere faction, the Mechs you have mentioned are mostly IS Mechs.
if you take the King Crab that is 100 of your 260 tons used.the Dire Wolf is a Clan Mech so cannot be used at the same time as the other Mechs

if you like the Raven why dont you like the Cicada? you can absolutely do a 2-3 ERLL load out on most variants of Cicada with similar speed to the Raven if you like that loadout on the Raven
these are just for demo purposes, ignore the armor layout
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...056ba41108956e9
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9004d8e9f35b76b

Good point.

I was having trouble (still am) with fighting other small mechs, so I get the CDA-2ac thinking the 6 ml would put a hurt on the small mechs. I lost the ability to fight at a distance, and still had trouble with the small guys. Anyway, I'll give that a try.

Inner Sphere. Looking forward to trying that.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

I do have a recommendation for you. For now, just for now, do NOT sign up for a faction via the "Pledge Loyalty" button. It's expensive to break it. Go with the "Days" options of whichever allotment you want until the new phase of faction warfare (community warfare) comes into the game. It's supposed to change practically everything.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

View Postrunciblelate, on 31 January 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was having trouble (still am) with fighting other small mechs, so I get the CDA-2ac thinking the 6 ml would put a hurt on the small mechs. I lost the ability to fight at a distance, and still had trouble with the small guys. Anyway, I'll give that a try.

"Pulse lasers."
Large pulse, medium pulse. Your choice. The difference is amazing. Seriously. If you're hunting small stuff or want to make quick hits on big stuff, use Pulse lasers.

Side note: Cicada with 6 ML versus pests. Trial Cicada. It is time skipped to when I'm chasing a "Squirrel" (Jenner), but wait for it. I'll very quickly end up 2 versus 1 and very outgunned and despite losing a leg I will tear both of them apart and continue onward to make another kill at longer range.

#13 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,585 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Because I did not see it mentioned by this point...

Even though you become restricted on mech selection based on faction for Faction Play, you can easily change your contracts without too much hassell (currently), so even if you sign up with the Clans initially, you can change to IS either at contract end (shortest contract is 7 days currently) or you can break contract (costs C-bills to do so) early and change after a 24 hr wait time.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

That's actually pretty cool! There's a bit of a subcommunity that does the role-play stuff, and some that do stock or stock-ish loadouts only. You might find that to be quite satisfying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users