- - - - -

Looking For A New Heavy Mech To Buy, Opinions?

Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 Sunfire00

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

I've been playing for a few days now, settled on a play style (long to medium range play, energy style) and got myself a shiny pack full of Marauder Mechs to play around with. I took advantage of the current sale and got me a Hellbringer as well to see the clan side of things, though typically I am more of an IS kind of guy.

Now I am looking for a new toy, especially since I was very impressed with the Clan ERLL. My list consists of the Battlemaster Mastery Pack (to branch out into assault), the Thunderbolt Mastery Pack (because moar laz0rz), the heavy mech Steam Pack (Timber Wolf and Thunderbolt and aditional goodies), the Timber Wolf a la carte pack or something completely different. What should I do?

As I mentioned, I like to stay back and hit stuff with lasers. I am a noob at brawling and I tend to do better with lasers than with pulse lasers (which is a problem, I can't seem to find a decent setup for my Bounty Hunter II with LL). I can also branch out into PPCs and Gauss Rifles, though not missiles. And for now I am very happy to stay a one-trick pony, especially since I am a very casual player and have no interest in CW, at least for now. I'd like to stick to heavies and maybe light assaults too since my limited experience is there and I prefer to have an extra ton of armor between me and certain death to balance my horrible skills.

Edited by Sunfire00, 30 January 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

I'm not much of a large laser person, so I'll let others suggest their favourite mechs for that, but do believe that learning the gauss rifle would complement such armaments nicely. Have you also thought about paired ac5s? They've a decent range as well, an being low heat would also work well with em. (ac 5s an uac 5s are better in my book, but a bit less pokey, so you'd prolly wanna start with the gauss.)

~Leone

#3 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Well, Battlemaster is an assault, and currently on sale; so if you have Cbills and mech bays you could just buy them. (There is a thread asking about the Battlemaster and builds on the current page)

If you are considering assaults, Stalker gets very good reviews also and has laser (and other) options (and a good Mastery pack).

Thunderbolt gets very good reviews for a laser heavy. I am currently trying the Grasshoppers, also a good laser heavy (with JJs), but no Mastery pack available yet afaik.

#4 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

A hellbringer is a solid heavy, max the armour!

#5 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostSunfire00, on 30 January 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

I've been playing for a few days now, settled on a play style (long to medium range play, energy style) and got myself a shiny pack full of Marauder Mechs to play around with. I took advantage of the current sale and got me a Hellbringer as well to see the clan side of things, though typically I am more of an IS kind of guy.

Now I am looking for a new toy, especially since I was very impressed with the Clan ERLL. My list consists of the Battlemaster Mastery Pack (to branch out into assault), the Thunderbolt Mastery Pack (because moar laz0rz), the heavy mech Steam Pack (Timber Wolf and Thunderbolt and aditional goodies), the Timber Wolf a la carte pack or something completely different. What should I do?

As I mentioned, I like to stay back and hit stuff with lasers. I am a noob at brawling and I tend to do better with lasers than with pulse lasers (which is a problem, I can't seem to find a decent setup for my Bounty Hunter II with LL). I can also branch out into PPCs and Gauss Rifles, though not missiles. And for now I am very happy to stay a one-trick pony, especially since I am a very casual player and have no interest in CW, at least for now. I'd like to stick to heavies and maybe light assaults too since my limited experience is there and I prefer to have an extra ton of armor between me and certain death to balance my horrible skills.

Well, seeing as how Russ mentioned that IS mechs are losing their sole advantage (ERLL range on about 4 mechs), you really only have 1 choice and that is CLAN. IS mechs are just the metal ducks in the MWO shooting gallery.

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

IS: Thunderbolts or Quickdraws. Dont worry too much about the range nerf. These things come and go.

Clan: Hellbie. Ebon Jag. Or Timby if you want to be like all the others.

If you venture into Assaults then Stalkers have been pretty quirk resistant. Much lazors and some SRMs. Executioner or Warhawk for Clansmen. Dire is frustrating in Solo.

#7 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostMechregSurn, on 30 January 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Well, seeing as how Russ mentioned that IS mechs are losing their sole advantage (ERLL range on about 4 mechs), you really only have 1 choice and that is CLAN. IS mechs are just the metal ducks in the MWO shooting gallery.

Yes, because massive structure quirks are not a real advantage and PGI answers to the secret KCOM twitter lobby. Hows about instead of filling new players heads with your bile you go and quietly lose your matches in your lrm boats somewhere else.

As for OP:

Timberwolf, EBJ, Hellbringer, all solid clan options.

Thunderbolt, Quickdraw are great options. The Thunderbolt tanks quite well.

Edited by pbiggz, 30 January 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#8 Scandisk

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

If you're an IS guy, you should really try the Stalker.

They're light assaults, they're pretty good with lasers (the 4N version is one of my favourite for doing matches in quickplay) and can tank more than well using a standard engine.

I find Thunderbolts good but more fitted to a "brawler" role, while Quickdraws are nothing special IMHO: their best builds are composed of lasers placed in the chest which make the mech slow at aiming (arms are more mobile), and the chassis itself isn't exactly durable.

Zeuses are also interesting if you couple lasers with autocannons, they move like a heavy but they're armored like assaults (and queue time are faster too! Posted Image)

Edited by Scandisk, 30 January 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#9 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

AS far as you packs go... the heavy steam pack is nice, if you are confused on which side you want to play. both sides have a great +30% c-bill booster.. and you get a bunch of MC, C-bills, and paint and camo..

The Timber ala-cart, is a nice pack with the prime +30% c-bill, and ya get 3 mechs with a month premium i think. Not sure what mechs are in the package, prime+ 2 others.. Not sure if the C is one of them, or if the C is not included in the package, being a newer champion mech.. Someone might know though.

If you want to go clan only, go timber, if you want both i'd take the Steam package.. If you wan't IS only.. i would suggest a medium IS package, like the centurion or shadow hawk

#10 Sunfire00

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for all the input guys :)

Since I spent all my C-Bills on the one Hellbringer chassis, all C-Bill mechs are out for now (unfortunately that includes the Battlemaster). That leaves the Timberwolf (which everyone and their mother owns), Ebon Jaguar (which is pretty similiar to my Marauder, at least in looks), Thunderbolt, Stalker and Zeus (as part of the Resistance pack).

Considering I only play a few matches a day those Hero Mechs look quite nice, that C-Bill bonus will probably help get me some money /ponder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users