- - - - -

Swap Med's For Large ?

6 replies to this topic

#1 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

I 've been playing around with the free cicada i got from event and am liking it but not too sure on the medium lasers, would it be better if i swapped them out for 2-3 lrg one's? as i feel being low armoured and needing to get close ish is a bad combo.

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Bigger is not necessarily better, but it really depends on how you play.

Cicada can be played as a close-in light mech that's big and slightly more durable. Its biggest engine lets it run about as fast as the faster 35 ton lights. I had some success with a CDA-2A boating SPLs, as it is actually pretty capable of dishing out loads of damage very quickly while being quite fast. Kind of like an overgrown JR7-F (which it really does resemble).

But if sniping is your thing, I guess it could work. 2LL is enough; 3 is pushing it given your heat dissipation.

Try this. CDA-2A(C) 2LL / 4 SL

#3 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Cicada A with 6ML is good. You get almost Clan ERML range with better duration. An XL300 engine should allow lots of cooling as well. Most other IS mechs would kill to have mediums like that.

If you really want range you can use 2-3 ERLL, but that kind of sniping is its won style of play.

#4 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Most people go one way or the other with that CDA- either six mediums for close in zappiness, or three larges (or ER larges) for ranged power. It seems to work pretty well.

Myself, I prefer to use the CDA-2A Singe. This is what has worked best for me in the past- the one ER Large gives me range, the four mediums are plenty of close damage, and in emergencies I can use the ERLL at close range as well without pushing the heat curve too far.

Whichever your choice, I'd like to compliment you on thinking and trying changes rather than either discarding or judging the 'mech based solely on the performance of a single build. I'd advise trying all the different suggestions you get here before settling on one- different playstyles necessitate different builds, even if sometimes only slightly different.

#5 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 31 January 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Most people go one way or the other with that CDA- either six mediums for close in zappiness, or three larges (or ER larges) for ranged power. It seems to work pretty well.

Myself, I prefer to use the CDA-2A Singe. This is what has worked best for me in the past- the one ER Large gives me range, the four mediums are plenty of close damage, and in emergencies I can use the ERLL at close range as well without pushing the heat curve too far.

Whichever your choice, I'd like to compliment you on thinking and trying changes rather than either discarding or judging the 'mech based solely on the performance of a single build. I'd advise trying all the different suggestions you get here before settling on one- different playstyles necessitate different builds, even if sometimes only slightly different.

I'm liking that set up i 'll try it, i'm not really a sniper i was just thinking being as i'm a bit squishy i would try to keep my distance,
most of the games i've played are on open maps.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 31 January 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

I'm liking that set up i 'll try it, i'm not really a sniper i was just thinking being as i'm a bit squishy i would try to keep my distance,
most of the games i've played are on open maps.

We don't have a completely OPEN map, though. There's COVER on all of them. So therein lies a challenge for light (which by my definition includes the Cicada and Shadow Cat) mech drivers. You must use the available cover, along with your speed and agility, to minimize the enemy's opportunity to spot you and direct his fires at you, while still firing on and destroying him.

Cicadas are actually pretty good at using speed and agility to get in for quick knife-fight alphas, and getting back out of there before they hit heat management problems or too much return fire.

More to your question, I think I'd leave the large lasers for slower-moving mechs. The slow rate of fire (relative to MLs or SPLs) and long beam duration mean longer exposure time, and for a lesser return (for the same tonnage of weaponry. Take one LL or three MLs and two double heat sinks? The latter gives you better DPS).

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

swap em if you wanna play long range pokey/sniper/harasser. Otherwise keep the MLs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users