- - - - -

Ecm Or Ams

9 replies to this topic

#1 3wesleyc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

I am unsure of what to use on my light mech. in my early scouting missions I occasionally get shot by LRMs while scouting, I try to stay in or run to nearby cover yet I still get hit by them. My mech hits about 148 top speed.

On the other hand the ECM, I tend to do a lot of hit and run tactics, if I have an ally with me I'll brawl it out but I am unfamiliar with the ECM so maybe you can give me your thoughts on what I should use.

Edited by 3wesleyc, 01 February 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

No, seriously. Why not both? ECM gets screwed by BAP and other ECM on counter mode, and you will still get rained on if that's the case.

#3 3wesleyc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 01 February 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

No, seriously. Why not both? ECM gets screwed by BAP and other ECM on counter mode, and you will still get rained on if that's the case.

for the setup I'm using I have no space to have both

Edited by 3wesleyc, 01 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

View Post3wesleyc, on 01 February 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

Use Smurfy Mechlab to create your build, and then post the build here. Hard to tell what you've got available if there's no further information.

#5 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

View Post3wesleyc, on 01 February 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

If you won't adjust the setup to incorporate both then ECM is preferable. It doesn't run out of ammo.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

ECM > AMS, if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, AMS > ECM because PASSIVE REASONS!

#7 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

ECM is going to protect you from more than just LRMs as it hides your dorito as distance and also makes the time required to lock onto your mech longer (normally a deterrent for LRM boats as the chances of losing your signal as high if there is no dedicated scout lighting you). ECM is much more tonnar efficient as well, though AMS with one ton of ammo does weigh the same you will end up getting more constant use out of your ECM and if your AMS happens to run out of ammo it becomes dead weight. Also my psychic powers tell me you are probably running a Pirate's Bane in which case ECM is a must have if you want to harness the full power of the little monster.

~Dark

#8 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 01 February 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

Because AMS can give away your position even if you aren't the target. If you start getting lurmed, MOVE.

Then, look up for a UAV and shoot it down. The enemy player has just successfully wasted 40K.

I never take AMS on ECM lights. DDCs, sure, but not lights. I feel it's a waste of weight that could be better served with other things.

YMMV

Also, ECM is in many ways still a magic Jesus box. If you don't believe me run on the new Polar map in the open with and without ECM and see how long it takes to get noticed and lurmed.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

Both. Just be aware of the quick toggle for AMS on/off ("~").
I'm not as concerned about LRMs as I am about SRMs and Streaks, and with AMS you can reduce them, too.

#10 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

Piloting skills > Radar Dep > ECM> Hiding behind a friendly > AMS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users