- - - - -

Considering Battletech Novels

9 replies to this topic

#1 fullfrontal77

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hi, I once read some battletech novels and in the 25th anniversary pdf there was a story about deathmach between an awesome and an atlas short story. many others novels that I have read told me about the deathmatch and in those matches, battlemechs can do real brawl what I mean they can use their fists or kicks (jumping mech death from above) so the punches and physical factors are also important...but hey...I just read the novels...not that I wanted the MWO to be like that but it's kinda cool right? to have your mech do some punches like boxers?

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

I would LOVE to see all the classic BT melee attacks worked into MWO.
Punching, death from above, kicks. Even working in axes and clubs (where is my hatchetman??!?)

I dont know if the engine can support it, BUT I would be willing to bet it would change the game so much that most players would poop themselves and complain to no living end.

#3 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, melee combat would be pretty cool if they managed to pull it off ingame. Long ago during the days of early Open Beta, you could literally knock over enemy mechs by running into them at a good speed (though you did risk falling over yourself). However, this feature was removed as it played quite a bit of havoc on servers with rubberbanding and at least one incident where a merc unit kept knocking down a dev ingame with Dragons (There was also some issue with the 60-ton Dragons which made them exceptionally good at knockdown, which for a time was called Dragon bowling).

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

That's why I also love the board game. Had a battle where an enemy Cicada tried to run past in a city but skidded on the asphalt and slammed into a building, only to have its head caved in by the mech it tried to outflank! Posted Image

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

View Postfullfrontal77, on 01 February 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

Hi, I once read some battletech novels and in the 25th anniversary pdf there was a story about deathmach between an awesome and an atlas short story. many others novels that I have read told me about the deathmatch and in those matches, battlemechs can do real brawl what I mean they can use their fists or kicks (jumping mech death from above) so the punches and physical factors are also important...but hey...I just read the novels...not that I wanted the MWO to be like that but it's kinda cool right? to have your mech do some punches like boxers?

Naturally I would love to have all this and I have personally been designing ideas of how to implement it. However, I couldn't and wouldn't trust PGI with implementing this.

However, I can show you some "Melee" in MWO.

Closed beta.
Enjoy.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

This said: In a VERY recent post of mine in another thread helping a new player, I put a true story from a Battletech skirmish into a spoiler.

This quote has cut away MOST of the post and left the spoiler.

View PostKoniving, on 02 February 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

A Clan XL engine has only 10 slots, and 2 spill into each side torso. This sounds unfair and in MWO, it really was (it now throws in so many slap on the wrist penalties that it is almost fair; but if you're trying to kill a Clanner by the torso you should be dragged out to the road and shot anyway; go for the legs).

It's a ~lot~ more fair in the source material between through-armor criticals, drastic consequences for ANY damage to engine, etc.
Related but not: (Read inside for melee!)
Spoiler

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

View PostDan Baxter, on 01 February 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

(There was also some issue with the 60-ton Dragons which made them exceptionally good at knockdown, which for a time was called Dragon bowling).

Little known fact that might interest you: This issue wasn't intentional to this extreme, but it was done deliberately.

From Here.
rmor coverage for the Dragon's ten tons is thick around the torso, and especially the rear, for when it is surrounded by opponents, while the squat design gives it a smaller profile and makes it harder to knock over.

PGI failed to give it a smaller body (the canonical size of the Dragon is just over 10 meters tall....then again we can't use that PGI didn't make any mech its canonical size; closest thing to canonical sizes in MWO is the Urban mech and Commando), however they did give the "toughter to knock over" tidbit... by giving it the 'knockdown' ability of a 100 ton mech. You add 81+ speeds to this... or since there were no engine restrictions originally, a 400 rated engine...

Rawr.

It's a shame that PGI didn't learn until after the quirkening that extremely high settings are NOT a good way to balance or test things.

#8 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 February 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

or since there were no engine restrictions originally, a 400 rated engine...

Semi-related fun memory; That jiggity bit also led to Hunchbacks packing XL300s known as "Fastbacks"; and Commandos running 1 point of armor per body section and XL360s... which actually moved so fast that the crap netcode of the period would slideshow whichever clients were trying to render them, this was the original meaning of the term "Trollmando". But naturally the phrase stuck around and was liberally applied to whatever silly 'Mando build the kids thought of next.

#9 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

....And that's why we can't have Firemoths. Cuz Cry Engine.

Also, personally love Melee in Table Top, but acknowledge we'll prolly never see it.

~Leone

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostLeone, on 02 February 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Cuz Cry Engine.

Actually, combination cry engine, scale ("too small"), and "host state rewind." PGI might not like to admit this, but calculating positions of something as fast as 200+ kph and compensating for lag, etc. is just significantly unreliable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users