8 replies to this topic

#1 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:32 AM

Okay, scanned a bit but basically got a bunch of ambiguous or "I think it works this way" posts and info over various periods.. SO... I'll pick the experienced minds here for hopefully a final word on these questions to help me and my mates out with planning and such....

1. Breaking Contracts (i.e. going on the mechbay tour)
I know we'll have to each pay to break our Davion contracts, that's fine. But some details we are wondering about
a) Is there any timing/cooldowns/penalties involved we should account for?
B) I've heard there is some sort of a penalty to watch for... but we're unclear what it is or how to avoid... something like if you WERE Davion, then cancel but signed up with an ally or 'the wrong faction' you'd actually loose points with Davion (or whatever house you just left). What's up with this so we can plan our next move after Davion?
c) Any tricks involved? I've read a trick like take a contract, cancel immediately, something about a cooldown.... so do you still earn faction points while in this "cancel cooldown"... meaning is this just a shortcut to quick runs at rank 2 mechbay?
d) Is it better in your experience to hit rank 2 with all Factions... or do most people stay through rank 6 and beyond to maximize ALL the free bays per Faction before moving on?
e) We have not yet found a Unit we'd like to petition to join. That said, is there value in the four of us turning our lance into our own Unit? Any costs or downsides beyond the Phase 3 solo/unit separation queues coming? Can you make and break units all you want?

Thanks much!

#2 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

1. Cost is 50k c-bills per day remaining to break a contract. Permanent contracts cost 1.5 Million c-bills to break.

1a. 3 day cooldown period after breaking a contract before you can actually join another faction. You can't break a contract with less than 3 days remaining, because the cooldown period exceeds the contract time remaining.

1b. Changed answer: Ok, I see what they're saying. When you are in a faction and attack another faction, you lose loyalty points with the faction you are attacking if you had any (not sure how many per battle). If you had gained rewards based on faction achievements in that faction before losing the points, you keep those, so you can't game the system by repeatedly achieving rank 2 somewhere, for example.

As an example, we took a tour with Davion in the distant past and I achieved Rank 3 (5,300 loyalty points) before we moved on. Since then we haven't been back and we have attacked Davion enough that my LP total with them is all the way back to 0. But I still show as Rank 3 in Davion. To make Rank 4, however, I would have to rejoin Davion and earn 10,600 MORE loyalty points. Essentially, I'd be starting over there, but I can't re-earn the rewards for levels 1, 2, and 3.

1c. If you do what you suggest, you would pay 50k per day for the remaining period of the contract but I'm not certain you still earn faction rewards after breaking (I would guess you do, however). So this "trick" amounts to playing enough CW to have the rewards portion of your earnings exceed the cost to break the contract during the 3-day cooldown period (including mechbays and other goodies, I guess). That sounds like a lot of work for a marginal benefit, but knock yourself out if it's something you want to try.

1d. You can usually achieve rank 6 within a 2 week window if you have a decent amount of skill and play CW pretty consistently. That would seem to be the most efficient way to gather up mech bays if you want to go on a tour. Staying for 2 solid weeks increases your faction rewards somewhat also and avoids the breakage fee and cooldown window. I think this is what most people do when the go on mechbay tour. After rank 6 it starts taking a lot longer to move up in rank. I would think it's more efficient to go through rank 6 (at most) in all factions to get 20 mechbays in 20 weeks and then settle on a faction to get the rest of the mechbays there before moving on.

1e. No real benefit to forming your own unit in the current state except it prevents other people from sending you unit invites. If that's happening and you find it annoying, then sure, form a unit. Once CW phase 3 launches (ETA April-ish) being in a unit will have you drop in the planned unit queue. Then being in a unit will matter a lot.

I'm not totally sure, but there may be an issue with the unit founder being able to leave the unit after it's created? I thought I heard that once formed there's really no mechanism to totally disband a unit. I'll let someone who's actually done this chime in as I've never founded a unit.

Edited by Khereg, 02 February 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

A) Yes. A cooldown timer of 2 days before you can join another faction.
B ) A penalty supposedly occurs with Davions if you kill Davions after leaving them. It causes you to lose some faction points with the Davions you just left. Kill something else instead.
C) There was a point where you couldn't even play during a cooldown. I don't know the details, with a group of 50 members it is too expensive to experiment. It's 500k cbills per day per person in the group. First time I tried it, the cost was 75,000,000 cbills to cancel the contract with 3 days left... just to be hit with the 2 day penalty. So someone else will have to answer whether or not you still earn faction points if playing during this cooldown.
D) Your choice.
E) Not sure if there is a cost to start a unit anymore. It does require 12 players to be on at the same time to start it though.

Edited by Koniving, 02 February 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostMorggo, on 02 February 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Okay, scanned a bit but basically got a bunch of ambiguous or "I think it works this way" posts and info over various periods.. SO... I'll pick the experienced minds here for hopefully a final word on these questions to help me and my mates out with planning and such....

1. Breaking Contracts (i.e. going on the mechbay tour)
I know we'll have to each pay to break our Davion contracts, that's fine. But some details we are wondering about
a) Is there any timing/cooldowns/penalties involved we should account for?
Posted Image I've heard there is some sort of a penalty to watch for... but we're unclear what it is or how to avoid... something like if you WERE Davion, then cancel but signed up with an ally or 'the wrong faction' you'd actually loose points with Davion (or whatever house you just left). What's up with this so we can plan our next move after Davion?
c) Any tricks involved? I've read a trick like take a contract, cancel immediately, something about a cooldown.... so do you still earn faction points while in this "cancel cooldown"... meaning is this just a shortcut to quick runs at rank 2 mechbay?
d) Is it better in your experience to hit rank 2 with all Factions... or do most people stay through rank 6 and beyond to maximize ALL the free bays per Faction before moving on?
e) We have not yet found a Unit we'd like to petition to join. That said, is there value in the four of us turning our lance into our own Unit? Any costs or downsides beyond the Phase 3 solo/unit separation queues coming? Can you make and break units all you want?

Thanks much!

a) you do have a waiting period to take a new faction, it is ether 2 or 3 days, I am not sure which, during that time you will remain with Davion, unless you took a permanent contract (pledge loyalty) I would recommend waiting for the contract to time out

Posted Image the only way to loose loyalty points that I am aware of is to kill a Mech belonging to the faction you just left, even then you do not loose anything, it just means you have to earn enough points to get back to where you were if you ever return to Davion.

c) yes you do still earl loyalty points during the cooldown, but realy you can take a 1 week contract, I would not advise wasting on that.

d) to earn all the free Mechbays available from 1 faction would take months, I advise taking 1-2 week contracts and earning what you can then move onto the next faction

e) my unit the Praetorian Legion would probably be happy to have you, and yes provided 1 of you is prepaired to take the responsibilities of lance leader there is a very good chance you could form your own lance, PL is a large unit (about 270 at the moment) with players of all skill levels from around the world, if you are interested there is a link to our website in my signature. I have got to read these more carefully, I think you can create your own unit but I do not know how, I suspect there will be something on the faction page but I was part of a unit before that feature existed and had joined ingame within an hour of that feature going into MWO

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 02 February 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

Afterthought:

WAIT to start or join any units!
Do not join a faction for more than 28 days at a time.

Reason:

It's all gonna change real soon...

#6 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 February 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

E) Not sure if there is a cost to start a unit anymore. It does require 12 players to be on at the same time to start it though.

I'm pretty sure you can create a 1-person unit if you want. There were certainly a number of 1-person units during Tukkayid 1 and 2 and a friend of -MS-'s recently created her own one-person unit at Russ' suggestion so she can drop in the CW unit queue when it goes live.

Don't know about a cost to form a unit... CW Phase 3 does plan to impose a fee for people to join units (with an escalating fee as the unit grows, according to Russ in the last town hall), however. If you want to create a unit, it may be better to do it sooner rather than later.

#7 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

I'm actually pretty excited about seeing how all the new changes turn out.
I mean, for the four of us, FW is all new and the overall comm usage and coordination and all that the puglandia isn't is still fresh and shiny for us. SO, once it starts to wear on us a bit, it'll be time for Phase 3... and it sounds pretty interesting.

So yeah, prob a good idea to hold off just a bit longer and do a couple 2 week grinds...thanks.

And thanks to everyone ... all this info really helps clear things up for us!

(oh, and Koniving, saw you in a drop last weekend... looked for your red Dorito but I got smoked early :) )

#8 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

Oh... one other question on of the guys asked me to check on.... right now I am the only one of us who regularly runs Premium time with any consistency.... we were interested in the whole private match thing.. but doesn't that require all four of us to be premium... I was confused by a comment Russ made during townhall... and it may have been totally unrelated (okay, I walked back into the room halfway into the question after a beer run :) ).... he said something about "at least two, even it it's 24 people, two have to be premium" or something to that effect.. regardless, what's the scoop on this private match thing?

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostKhereg, on 02 February 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure you can create a 1-person unit if you want. There were certainly a number of 1-person units during Tukkayid 1 and 2 and a friend of -MS-'s recently created her own one-person unit at Russ' suggestion so she can drop in the CW unit queue when it goes live

Could be possible. Some 2+ years ago though, the strict rules required 12 players, and there was talk of the cost of about 18,000,000 cbills, which got dropped.

View PostMorggo, on 02 February 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

Oh... one other question on of the guys asked me to check on.... right now I am the only one of us who regularly runs Premium time with any consistency.... we were interested in the whole private match thing.. but doesn't that require all four of us to be premium... I was confused by a comment Russ made during townhall... and it may have been totally unrelated (okay, I walked back into the room halfway into the question after a beer run Posted Image ).... he said something about "at least two, even it it's 24 people, two have to be premium" or something to that effect.. regardless, what's the scoop on this private match thing?

2 players with premium time.
Each must be set as the "LEADER" or commander of each side. Then you can change the 24 player requirement to whatever you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users