Buying Advice -Banshee Or Mauler

9 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

I usually run heavies and occasionally mediums. I enjoy my Zeus mechs, but I run them closer to a high end heavy more than an assault. I would like to branch out into inner sphere assaults. Now seems like a perfect time with the Mauler on sale for C-bills and the Banshees 35% off this week.

Any advice on which set of 3 mechs would give me the most bang (and fun) for my buck? I enjoy ballistics and energy builds, rarely focus on LRMs and can barely hit anything with PPCs if that helps.

Thanks!!

#2 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Both are beautiful mechs that are fully capable of drilling holes in an enemy.

The biggest differences, at least to me - and from a guy who hasn't yet played Maulers but has only drooled over them:

- Banshees tend to be more energy heavy, with the 3E being the exception. The 3M is all energy, and the 3S is mostly energy with 1 missile and 1 ballistic hardpoint. Maulers, on the other hand, tend to spread out their hardpoints in that there's a Mauler out there for you regardless of which weapon type you like. That being said, they are best played with big ballistics and avoiding use of the grossly oversized torso missile racks.

- Banshees lack arm mounted weapons, in general. Admittedly, Maulers tend to put most of their big guns in their torso in the competitive builds, but this is still worth mentioning.

- Banshees, I believe, have better hitboxes. That being said, I wouldn't consider either of them a brawling mech. Maulers aren't really tough enough for that, while the tougher Banshee tends to be big, slow, and more easily out-maneuvered in a brawl - and the general lack of arm-mounted weapons will make tracking a circular target annoying. Both are best played laying down horrific covering fire in the middle distance, IMHO. In short, don't close to brawl - simply drill through the enemy before you need to get that close.

Edited by oldradagast, 02 February 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#3 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

I have no Mauler experience.

Banshees are usually decent regardless changes in quirks. High mounted Lazors. 400 Engine cap. Decent Hitboxes.
2 Big *ss shield arms.

Banshees have much going for them regardless of quirks.

Maulers are mainly for the dakka, far as i know.

#4 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

Having played both to master levels and having 300+ games in both chassis and over 2500 games in assaults, here are a few thoughts (side note, my favorite mech is the Banshee 3E so I may be a bit biased but I am also an assault pilot in general who loves the big brutes):

Banshee's are, arguably, the best assault mech in the game right now. (at least the 3M and 3E). They have very good hit boxes and armor levels making them nice and tanky with good hardpoints to match. Banshee's excel at mid range DPS and can generally throw out enough hate to make anything else in the game stand down from a face tank (especially the 3E when built right). And as previously mentioned, they also have good arm shields that can help you be the last alive if used well. One downside is they are a bit slow, even compared to some other assaults. This means while competent at brawling, they are not good at it.

Maulers generally fill a similar mid range DPS roll but are more glass cannon in my experience. Hitboxes are not as good and armor levels are lower. This does not mean that they die if you look at them funny, just comparing to other assaults that they feel a bit less tough. They do have more diversity of possible decent to good builds you can put on both individual chassis and from chassis to chassis allowing you to play with more builds if that is what you like to do. They are more of a maneuver assault than a stand and slug style but don't quite have the speed or agility to do that really well.

Long story short, both are good chassis and viable in the game as it stands right now. Since you are coming from heavies a Mauler will play more like your current play style than a Banshee but Banshees are, in my opinion, superior mechs.

P.S. Whatever you do, as a general rule, please don't run XL engines in assaults. Its really tempting, especially on the mauler, as you can squeeze in SO MANY weapons that are SO BIG, but your durability goes to #(@* and your team wonders why their assault is dead so early in the match. That said, experimenting with them can be good for LOLs as you pace Meds and heavies but with twice the firepower, but overall not worth it.

#5 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:41 AM

Good info.

Katotonic, can you recommend 3E (3 X AC5 + ML's?) and 3M builds ' built right'?

Thanks

#6 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:42 AM

I love both but the Banshee is the better of the two. The Banshee has excellent hit boxes and big shield arms. Maulers can field some impressive ballistic builds but are generally slower and can't tank damage as well. They are wide and soft, I can tank a Daishi in my 3E but not any of my Maulers.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

Banshees. Tier 1 assault, no question.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

I love my BNC-3E. It is the most cathartic mech to just drop an charge in recklessly with.

That said, I think the mauler'd be a better choice, as you'll get more ballistic hardpoints outta the mech, an really, what's more important? Survivability, or More Dakka!?

~Leone.

#9 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Maulers are a lot of fun and really effective if run right, but as the others have said: if you're dropping CW a lot, the Banshee's the better team-player.

Also as others have said, don't run an XL in either.

#10 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostChill Bill, on 03 February 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

Good info.

Katotonic, can you recommend 3E (3 X AC5 + ML's?) and 3M builds ' built right'?

Thanks

Metamechs has some really good suggestions for Banshees. Both builds and how to use them. (http://metamechs.com...guides/banshee/)

This is my 3E (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad66347beebd917). Most of the time, the LL are my quick shot at range weapon. I open up with the AC5s whenever I have clear shots and just hold the trigger down using the LL as heat allows. Usually, the mediums are just for back up and alpha/quick trades (which I do a fair amount of of). If you do end up in a DPS face-tank fight, don't use the mediums, you have a lot higher DPS before overheating without them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users