Piloting Questions

10 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

ok i managed to play my first couple of missions and did not do too bad from what i thought. i got bonuses on mission a and c although i noticed that the speed would not stay set. I had to keep the speed button pushed and i dont quibble about the turning since it makes sense. How do you guys keep the mech running at one speed and how did you guys do on the trials? on the piloting alone it took me 3 tries although basic gunnery i passed in one go The rest of the trials will have to happen when i am less tired and i have more time. rapid fire i only got 5 turrets of 8 in 30 secs. still learning the keys.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

In settings, you can disable Throttle Decay. Then W/S will just change your throttle set point.

Or, you can (default keybinds) use your number pad keys to set throttle to a given percent (IE, 1 = 10%, 7=70%).

I've actually gotten to like Throttle Decay, and I bound the normal number keys:
1: 30% throttle
2: 60% throttle
3: 100% throttle

So, W/S will apply momentary throttle, and I can lock my throttle at those setpoints by tapping 1, 2 or 3.

#3 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Learn to type :) Posted Image

I just use the W key and use other fingers for the A or D key.

I have throttle decay on.

Aim and fire with the mouse, group 1 and 2 only.

Once you get used to rapidly moving your fingers to the right keys it gets better believe me Posted Image

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 03 February 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#4 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

as far as the typing issue, please keep in mind two things. 1. my fingers are abnormally large i wear a size 19 ring and for my family thats small. 2. i have to hunt and peck for the previous reason

#5 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 04 February 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

as far as the typing issue, please keep in mind two things. 1. my fingers are abnormally large i wear a size 19 ring and for my family thats small. 2. i have to hunt and peck for the previous reason
maybe use a throttle control in your left hand (see: Thrustmaster hotas T-Flight x) and your mouse in your right? Better throttle control, same/better steering (there's a rocker switch you can bind to A/D or use for analogue axis turning) and you keep the performance benefits of a mouse rather than the joystick.

But going back to my first post, remember: settings > uncheck the Throttle Decay checkbox to simply stop throttle decay.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 04 February 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

I think your typing was fine. I didn't have any trouble with it. More frequent use of the enter key couldn't hurt though.

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 03 February 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

How do you guys keep the mech running at one speed?
How did you guys do on the (Academy) trials?
On the piloting alone it took me 3 tries although basic gunnery i passed in one go The rest of the trials will have to happen when i am less tired and i have more time. rapid fire i only got 5 turrets of 8 in 30 secs. still learning the keys.

I did 3 tries on the piloting to try and improve the score but succeeded on the first go with a bronze. I didn't go all the way through the academy thing, however, so haven't tried the gunnery. Will try it later today and update it, but with 3 years I'm afraid my success be fair.

I suggest a multi-button mouse, and if possible a Throttle stick if your hands are as big as you say. I'm 6'5" and my fingers are not terribly thick, but keyboards can be uncomfortable. I use a Thrustmaster X's throttle stick (don't use the joystick) and find it holds most of the functions quite nicely. The game naturally supports the throttle settings so I go as fast as I set the stick.

Posted Image

Posted Image
The joystick part is....really bad with MWO as it isn't a zero-channel device like a mouse. Throttle though, rawr.

Using Left CTRL or in my case one of the buttons on the throttle stick, you can "look" independent of twisting. I use this with Armlock off in order to be able to aim at and shoot two targets at once. Not easy to use, but damn can it be a life saver when swarmed as an assault mech.

Arrows + right ctrl will let change weapon and weapon group settings on the fly. Black is off, blue is on. Backspace toggles "chain fire" for the highlighted group to fire weapons in a sequence or all at once (alpha).

Good luck and I'll be back with my results later today. For now, I gotta install some carpets.

Edited by Koniving, 04 February 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#7 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 February 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

I think your typing was fine. I didn't have any trouble with it. More frequent use of the enter key couldn't hurt though.

I did 3 tries on the piloting to try and improve the score but succeeded on the first go with a bronze. I didn't go all the way through the academy thing, however, so haven't tried the gunnery. Will try it later today and update it, but with 3 years I'm afraid my success be fair.

I suggest a multi-button mouse, and if possible a Throttle stick if your hands are as big as you say. I'm 6'5" and my fingers are not terribly thick, but keyboards can be uncomfortable. I use a Thrustmaster X's throttle stick (don't use the joystick) and find it holds most of the functions quite nicely. The game naturally supports the throttle settings so I go as fast as I set the stick.

Posted Image

Posted Image
The joystick part is....really bad with MWO as it isn't a zero-channel device like a mouse. Throttle though, rawr.

Using Left CTRL or in my case one of the buttons on the throttle stick, you can "look" independent of twisting. I use this with Armlock off in order to be able to aim at and shoot two targets at once. Not easy to use, but damn can it be a life saver when swarmed as an assault mech.

Arrows + right ctrl will let change weapon and weapon group settings on the fly. Black is off, blue is on. Backspace toggles "chain fire" for the highlighted group to fire weapons in a sequence or all at once (alpha).

Good luck and I'll be back with my results later today. For now, I gotta install some carpets.

Koniving's, I'm looking into getting this set for specifically this throttle. Do you have those rocker switches set to digital (A/D for turning) or do they work as an axis in MWO for analogue turning?

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 February 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

Koniving's, I'm looking into getting this set for specifically this throttle. Do you have those rocker switches set to digital (A/D for turning) or do they work as an axis in MWO for analogue turning?

MWO takes them as AD regardless, but there is a set of buttons on the throttle stick that ~are~ analog and I use them for turning. MWO won't accept "slower" or "faster" turns though. Controller has the ability. Game doesn't. Buttons will work though.

#9 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 04 February 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

MWO takes them as AD regardless, but there is a set of buttons on the throttle stick that ~are~ analog and I use them for turning. MWO won't accept "slower" or "faster" turns though. Controller has the ability. Game doesn't. Buttons will work though.
people where saying above that you can do analogue turning as of a patch or two ago. Maybe try that again? :)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 February 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

people where saying above that you can do analogue turning as of a patch or two ago. Maybe try that again? Posted Image

Curious. Sounds worth a shot.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 February 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

people where saying above that you can do analogue turning as of a patch or two ago. Maybe try that again? Posted Image

hmmmm, I did not catch that. I have a G13 w/ the analog thumb stick, I'll check that when I get home.

Frankly, Im so used to non-analog I think at this point I would not like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users