9 replies to this topic

#1 rox5tar

• PipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOut of Bounds

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

I have been playing the HBK-P a lot now a days, and I have liked it very much. I enjoy running up to the enemy, doing 2-3 high damage alpha's on the enemy, and running off. I was considering getting an XL Engine for it, just for the sake of using MPL's instead of ML's in order to get a higher DPS. I already use 3 MPL's and 6 ML's, but more would be nice. However, I have noticed that my right torso has been taking more damage, and there is about a 50/50 chance that it is destroyed by the end of the match. As most people know, if my torso is destroyed, than that's game over for me. People who are more used to the variant, is it worth getting an XL Engine, or should I suck it up and stick with my current load out? Just a bit more detail, I have not had very many problems with heat management, even without Cooling-Shots. I have my armor set to the max as well. Thank you in advance. -Rox5tar

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,899 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

The XL build is harder to safely use because of the hunch - but that hunch is about the same toughness as your CT, so it's not so bad as you might expect. That XL is very expensive, however - so depending on if you're saving up c-bills for another 'mech (or already own the engine,) you might want to just go with what you have. I personally just use all Medium Lasers on the chassis.

#3 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

I tend to avoid xls on hunchies because even if the armor value is CT like, EVERYBODY shoots at the hunch pretty much. but what you can do is toss all your armor in the hunch torso to the front and only leave a couple of points for rear armor because the hitbox only leaves a small part of the mech considered to be the hunch-side rear torso so it's much tougher to hit.

#4 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

you can move armor from your rear to the front of your side torso to make it a little better protected, but ideally you should be looking away from your enemy to protect it from taking damage at all, if you are playing an inner sphere hunchback, you should not be running an XL in it at all, since good players will be shooting at your gun torso right away, and you likely will die much earlier.

https://www.youtube....-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

Posted Image

Edited by zudukai, 03 February 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

Here you are. Generally it's a good idea to put the right front torso up higher in terms of armor, and be more "closer to even" on the front/back distribution of left torso armor so you can use your left backside to take some abuse on the retreat.

Far as worth an XL... depends on what you're doing. A standard engine can do wonders, too.

Damn it Zudukai, you beat me to it.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,899 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

By three minutes!

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Meh.
I open stuff long ahead of time and 'get around to it' when I do. Before I hit post, only your first post was there, Void.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,899 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, I saw both of yours together, and figured that was what happened. I often encounter the same thing writing one of my responses to argument threads. =)

#9 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

lol and when i started posted, it had no replies :P Seyla!

Good hunting OP!

#10 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

I love mu Hunchie 4P. One of my all time favorite mechs in MWO.

I run mine like this: 7 ML (6 in the hunch and 1 in the head), 2 MPL in the arms. 250 STD engine, Endosteel, 8 DHS. Missing a total of 18 points armor, mostly from the legs, but down 1 point in each arm. With the Speed Tweak skill I move at 87kph, have good heat management, and pack a serious punch.

I also run with ML range, ML cooldown, Radar Deprivation, Increased sensor range, Seismic Sensor, Coolshot 9x9 and Artillery strike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users