Aerial Recon

2 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fubar

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:00 AM

I would like to see a consumable that calls in either an aerial scout, a low orbit space plane, or something to give a temporary ping of all enemy mechs that are not lights. The consumable could be on a timer so people can't use it at the start just as arty and air strikes are. It could also be set up to only be used while the Battlegird is up. Additionally, the ping could last 5-10 seconds so a Company or Lance commander that is watching the battlefield via the Battlegrid can make better plans based on the info before they get into the think of battle. Also, the pings are just pings. They don't provide any indication if the mech is a med, heavy, or assault nor can any mech lock onto the ping. While, it could be an option to show the tonnage of mech or to fully identify the mechs by naming them, I feel those options would be too strong.

Another way this could work is by limiting its range to a portion of the map and incorporating the use of the consumable into the Battlegrid. As in, a mech pilot opens the Battlegrid, selects where they would like to scan just as he would set a way point, and after a couple seconds a large area is scanned to hopefully reveal pings. This would ensure the pilot is paying attention so they can reap the full benefit of the consumable. Weather they can come up with an actionable plan is left to their abilities.

#2 butchly13

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

I like your second idea about limiting range. I think the range would have to be relatively low (similar to the current UAV) because of how powerful it could be to locate the enemy without having a light run behind them and place a UAV. Relatively speaking, calling in a UAV/Recon drone without having to be in a specific, strategic location takes little skill. For example, using one on Polar highlands to find the other team could be done sequentially by your team to track the other team's progress without relying on skilled light pilots being able to scout and target effectively.

I like the idea, not sure how it would effect balance of matches though.

#3 Master Fubar

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

True but the UAV's benefit allows anyone to lock on a target which is particularly useful for LRM's. The Aerial Recon on the other hand would not allow anyone to lock on the target. It only shows where the enemy is so good commanders can make plans or change plans accordingly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users