I Suck At Mediums...

23 replies to this topic

#1 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

But i want to get into CW so i needed a few to toss in my drop deck so I could bring at least 1 100 ton mech....I have aiming issues with Cicadas so that wasnt really an option, so I got 3 crabs while they where on sale. OFC one of them was the JJ equipped one, but I need some build suggestions...and some tips on how to generally not suck at anything that isnt a Centurion ganking lone dummies with an AC20...

Preferrably standard engine builds...I see these lose side torsos way too much and blow thier side torsos off quite often.

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 07 February 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

Why oh why, did you not buy Blackjacks? They are worth far more than Crabs.

As for Std engine Crab builds, it is pretty easy. Just spam Medium class lasers on the energy points and DHS the rest. 300 rating engine is plenty fast.

You can also try the 3x LPL version, if you can limit your exposure with XL engine. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c64b18c63edd6e3

Edited by El Bandito, 07 February 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#3 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

I actually have 3 blackjacks as well, just dont do particularly well in them.

#4 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 February 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Why oh why, did you not buy Blackjacks? They are worth far more than Crabs.
Maybe not after Feb 16th. Crabs are pretty beefy for 45 tons, with good weapon quirks as well.

OP: I don't play them but most seem to do well as energy boats, mid or long range.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 07 February 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

I actually have 3 blackjacks as well, just dont do particularly well in them.

Try to do well with them. Current Blackjacks are the best Medium you can ask for in CW matches, from the IS side. Specifically the BJ-3 and BJ-1X.

View Postadamts01, on 07 February 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Maybe not after Feb 16th. Crabs are pretty beefy for 45 tons, with good weapon quirks as well.

OP: I don't play them but most seem to do well as energy boats, mid or long range.

Crab is 50 tons. And the weapon quirks are definitely not impressive.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 February 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#6 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Playing a Medium is pretty easy. Just remember the two rules of playing one: 1) Know Your Place - your job is to support the Heavies/Assaults while defending the back line from the Lights and 2) Know Your Limitations - you might be fast but you're not a broken Spider/Cheetah which means you're easy as **** to kill so don't go off on your own thinking that you're some ninja mech. Follow those 2 easy rules and you'll be just fine. Choose not to do so and you'll be meat in a hurry.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Crabs
BJs
Hunchbacks.
(Also love my Centies, but I run Xls in ALL of mine. Death dealing means more to me than pewpew zombie sword and boards)

View Postadamts01, on 07 February 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

They are indeed beefy for 45 tons...since they weigh 50.

#8 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

I had to get a medium chassis too, and it was annoying me that I had this loyalty Wolverine I hadn't mastered, so I threw some Cbills at it and got a couple more.

I've discovered that I really kind of like them. Never saw that coming, typically I don't enjoy anything under 60 tons and I really prefer Marauders right now...at least until the Rifleman hits week after next. But back to the topic, the Wolverine is pretty neat-at least, the variants other than the 6K everyone else seems to love are. But then...I like my dakka and the others (not the 7K, my least favorite of the ones I got) all have it. And jump jets.

The 6K is the big energy boat. I'm sort of meh about it because no dakka potential, only one SRM hardpoint, and no jets. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Chados, 07 February 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#9 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Wolverine >>> Griffin & Shadowhawk. Smaller, able to go faster (I think), and easier to use/hide weapon loadouts.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 07 February 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Wolverine >>> Griffin & Shadowhawk. Smaller, able to go faster (I think), and easier to use/hide weapon loadouts.

but sooooo bloody boring and ugly.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 February 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Crab is 50 tons. And the weapon quirks are definitely not impressive.[/font]
I was thinking about the 15% heat generation variant. It may not be "impressive" compared to the overquirked mechs, but it's not bad at all. And OK, 50 tons, with IS quirks it still has 60 ton hit points.

Edited by adamts01, 07 February 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#12 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

im not actually BUYING any new mechs, i already own 3 crabs 4 cicadas (two were "freebies") and 3 blackjacks. and ofc a crappy loyalty wolverine that will never see the light of day, and a loyalty nova that I love to pieces when people ignore me with 8 small lasers...xD

#13 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

And the Hunch is a pretty mech? There aren't many mechs that you could sit there, with a straight face, and say that they're artistically beautiful.

#14 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 February 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

but sooooo bloody boring and ugly.

I will never find bouncing around with AC5 dakka boring, but even I can't deny it's hideously ugly.

#15 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

5 medium pulse, one JJ max heat sinks, and biggest xl you can fit

1 large pulse, 4 med, one JJ, max heat sinks, and biggest xl you can fit

3 large lasers, one JJ, max heat sinks with biggest XL you can fit

#16 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

I used to not like mediums, but often in CW I drop with 3 or 4 of them when pugging. Being in heavier slower chassis you're often tied heavily to your team. If they make a horrendous choice in positioning you have no choice but to go out with them. When the match is going south I prefer to be in a medium or light for the increased mobility, and the fact that they attract less fire....could at least make something out of the match.

#17 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 07 February 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

But i want to get into CW so i needed a few to toss in my drop deck so I could bring at least 1 100 ton mech....I have aiming issues with Cicadas so that wasnt really an option, so I got 3 crabs while they where on sale. OFC one of them was the JJ equipped one, but I need some build suggestions...and some tips on how to generally not suck at anything that isnt a Centurion ganking lone dummies with an AC20...

Preferrably standard engine builds...I see these lose side torsos way too much and blow thier side torsos off quite often.

You'll want to reduce your sensitivity/DPI lower than normal for faster mechs for aiming - if you have a DPI shift that's even better.

For the most part, you will either be playing a "mini-heavy", stick with the bigger mechs. Shoot what they shoot, watch their flanks and look for opportunities to work the flanks/edges as opposed to direct front line trading. You don't want anything to focus on you for any period of time. Keep moving.

Or you will be playing a pseudo-light, like Cicadas and to an extent Crabs, etc.

These are the faster mediums with lighter based loadouts (lots of MLAS or a handful of LLAS/LPLs) - you basically play this more like a big fat, light mech. Again, don't front line trade, try to work the edges and look for opportunities to score damage without taking much return fire.

#18 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Why not Quickdraws?

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 07 February 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I will never find bouncing around with AC5 dakka boring, but even I can't deny it's hideously ugly.

Yeah, well for me, I just really dislike the hardpoint mixes on the WVR, despite my totally anti-Meta WVR-6R rocking ridiculous stats compared to my other 55 tonners. If I didn't consider the WVR one of Alex's top3 worst looking redesigns, I would probably run this a LOT more..... (it really should not do well at all, lol)

before I foolishly tried to "git seriuz" with it, and started trying to run "meta builds", I was running a 3.4 KDr and 460 avg damage. Not "comp" but actually my highest average on either category for a Medium. Both stats have tanked hard int he 40 matches since.

#20 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

OP is looking for crab builds.... Reading comprehension is strong in this community...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users