31 replies to this topic

#21 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

Eh come back with your stats after a hundred matches. Then they might be statistically relevant.

#22 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:53 AM

The Dire has been nerfed too much.If you have a good team around you it can be truly devastating.In pug land tho it often gets left to fend for itself.
Too slow and not durable enough and just not fun to play tho it can be if the stars align and you get a decent team.Not played mine in months.

#23 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

Dire wolves where never "OP" they where simply incredibly well armed. They are THE most well armed mech in Battletech until probably dark age stuff and the Fafnir. Even then it can mount stuff that would make those two blush with plenty of armor to spare. If you know how to sling those guns without getting immeidatly focus fired like these things do in matches you are GOD.

#24 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostSagamore, on 07 February 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

LOL. I don't think I'll play 1k matches in a DWF (though you never know) when my BLR-1G is my most played with 450.

Everyone has his hobby horse

The fact remains, small sample size or not, I am leveling/performing better out of the gate with a DWF than any other mech I have played (except maybe one of my Crab variants, I still have a 7.25 KDR with it after fully mastering it in 12 games on a double XP weekend).

Posted Image
Well 13th game was a Zero Kill get Killed game - 5,66 KDR@12 matches. Do i run around and scream KGCs are/were op. It's just a fluke. Get over it.

Even if I do get cornered by a few enemy mechs, I will most likely kill or seriously cripple one of them and probably do enough damage to break even on PSR in the process.

What is the case on nearly every assault as long as you are able to aim.

I regret not getting into clan mechs when they were clearly OP (edit: clarification- not saying they are currently OP, but lamenting back to their heyday.)

To contrast, I am also leveling Stalkers (late to the party, I know). I feel like a liability to the team, constantly running at high heat and unable to carry a team when needed. Maybe that changes with doubled basic skills but the DWF was instantly a superstar in my books.

And it all comes down to a good team around you. Then everything can be truly devastating. Not the Dire alone has this feature. Even if you think so, you clearly didn't had does games where you got hard abandon by your team and the first enemy light pilot (who could drive his mech) crushed your rear. You clearly didn't played the Dire in times people like you screamed: "Firestarter OP OP". Dire wolves where never "OP" they where simply incredibly well armed. Since so many people simply run straight in this game - it is no wonder how the Dire plays out, if he reaches the front and is not immediately a focus fire target.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 07 February 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#25 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostKuritaclan, on 07 February 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

And it all comes down to a good team around you. Then everything can be truly devastating. Not the Dire alone has this feature...

Yes, and Assault pilots should increase their chances by taking the lead.

#26 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

I've mastered 5 DWFs

DIRE WOLF DWF-PRIME 617 309 262 1.18 658 498 1.32 248,891 623,310 2days 09:46:27

DIRE WOLF DWF-A 209 91 91 1.00 229 168 1.36 85,642 212,090 20:35:46

DIRE WOLF DWF-B 105 51 48 1.06 91 76 1.20 38,978 107,505 10:22:21

DIRE WOLF DWF-S 179 92 80 1.15 158 137 1.15 63,474 171,437 17:42:51

DIRE WOLF DWF-W(S) 146 72 74 0.97 92 122 0.75 40,308 114,376 13:49:54

I didn't get the Direwolf until after they came out for cBills and the ERLL was nerfed and ghost heat for >2 or I'd have ridiculous stats.

My DWF W(S) was purchased and run after the nerf to basics and has my lowest scores while basic-ing it, now that its mastered and has a full set of modules it'll get closer to the others in stats. Also my build is different for each Direwolf.

I'm Tier 3, proudly, I'm mediocre at the game and this is the best I can do with 100+ games in a week, I'm getting closer to tier 2 everyday but I'm not trying to get any higher, I'm happy where I'm at because I get matches super fast even in heavies.

The DWF is strong, I can post screens of doing 1440 damage and breaking 1000 many times. This isn't something I can do in an Atlas, my best match is in my AS7 DDC with 898 damage. The differences between them are night and day, I don't like running dual gauss because of the charge time and re-fire rate but one of my DWFs is setup for it.

ATLAS AS7-S 107 54 50 1.08 66 76 0.87 31,168 90,630 10:36:11

THE BOAR'S HEAD 189 87 90 0.97 138 155 0.89 52,809 167,689 18:35:39

#27 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

I ran Dire Wolves about a month after they were released, and back then they were pretty good, (after they fixed the CT) if you could position well and actually aim. Now, after all the nerfs and buffs, the mech is still good, but incredibly situational.

It has enough fire power to melt almost anything in the game, but get yourself in a 2 v 1, and you'll most likely die. Most mechs now are carrying higher alphas then when clans were first released, so the Dire Wolf now with the skill tree nerfs and such takes damage a lot quicker. It's inability to twist even remotely well does not help. Also being so slow and big, you make yourself a pretty tasty target.

If you're dropping with a group who knows how to protect assaults, then the dire can be extremely deadly if your team can keep enemies from piling on top of you. As others have said though, in pugland it's often the case where you either get left behind to fend for yourself, or the team can't keep mechs off your back while you engage. When you have a good game in a Dire Wolf, though, you do extremely well and usually top your team. Unfortunately most of the time when you pug in this mech you will have mediocre games, with at the most 600 damage and rarely 3 kills.

While the Dire Wolf has immense firepower that can melt mostly anything, it's huge trade-off is it's snail pace speed and agility, the liability of getting focused, and the ability to work well only in a team who knows how to keep and protect assaults.

#28 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Again...THE DIREWOLF IS THE MOST WELL ARMED MECH IN BATTLETECH

IT WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU SO MUCH AS LOOK AT IT. THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD BE

It has probably the worst maneuverability out of the 100 tonners easily. You pay for your weapons load by being pretty much meat on the table to any competent light or medium driver...unless you are me and get incredibly lucky legshots with gauss rifles.

Being well armed != OP.

#29 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,536 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostUltimax, on 07 February 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

The agility nerfs, CXL ST loss nerf & Speed Tweak nerfs are exactly why this mech is rarely fielded.

It really wasn't this, it is the fact that mechs able to poke fast and hard got serious buffs (BJ, Quickdraw) that allowed them to whittle it down really fast. Not to mention the ERML/Gauss nerfs and somewhat the heat sink nerfs.

That and the meta shifted away from firing lines and semi-static engagements.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 07 February 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#30 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 07 February 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

That and the meta shifted away from firing lines and semi-static engagements.

This is honestly the biggest culprit in my mind, the other factors contribute, certainly, though. Especially the extremely limited torso twist on the DW. Even if it was slow, and mostly immobile, if you could at least twist a bit to spread damage and cover a wider range with your guns, you could better justify it right now.

When you could put 3 DWs in a static position with overwatch and play whack-a-mole with 50-80 dmg alphas, the DW was ridiculously strong.

Now that engagements involve a lot more mobility and continuous repositioning, the mech that is worst at repositioning, even with truckloads of guns, is left out.

Edited by Gyrok, 07 February 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#31 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

Funny, I was here back when Clans first dropped, and I can't remember the Dire ever being OP...

#32 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 February 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

This is honestly the biggest culprit in my mind, the other factors contribute, certainly, though. Especially the extremely limited torso twist on the DW. Even if it was slow, and mostly immobile, if you could at least twist a bit to spread damage and cover a wider range with your guns, you could better justify it right now.

When you could put 3 DWs in a static position with overwatch and play whack-a-mole with 50-80 dmg alphas, the DW was ridiculously strong.

Now that engagements involve a lot more mobility and continuous repositioning, the mech that is worst at repositioning, even with truckloads of guns, is left out.

Also lost the positive quirks tor turning speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users