Do Cases Protect Components Against Gauss Explosion?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Because last time people said that they didn't. So, do they now?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

CASE's only function is to prevent the damage transfer between mech sections. Almost no one carries IS CASE, since it is pretty much garbage though.

#equalCASEforISandclans

Edited by El Bandito, 07 February 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 07 February 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Because last time people said that they didn't. So, do they now?

CASE in TT = Good
CASE in MWO = Bad

This is largely to do with the frequency of ammo explosions, and when doing campaign games in TT, having the CT destroid means that Mech cannot be salvaged and or repaired later.

#4 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 February 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

CASE's only function is to prevent the damage transfer between mech sections. Almost no one carries IS CASE, since it is pretty much garbage though.

#equalCASEforISandclans

That's what I mean. Do CASEs prevent damage transfer from Gauss explosions into the adjacent section?

I never paid attention.....

Edited by Hit the Deck, 08 February 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#5 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

Ok, scenario:

Gauss in arm, case in neighbouring ST, gauss explodes (they invariably do in my experience). Is the ST protected from trannsfer damage?

#6 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

The gauss will explode and damage the arm for 15 damage. Any damage remaining will transfer to the adjacent torso, dealing damage to the internals. If there is still any damage left, CASE will prevent the damage from reaching the CT.

If you're running a heavy/assault with a standard engine and A LOT of ammo, case in the torso is a good idea. Case in point, King Crab with AC-20s in arms has to stuff ammo in legs and head for 5 tons, if he wants more than that, it's going in the torsos. Smart players will leg him and blow the ammo. Case will stop that ammo in the LT/RT, leaving the CT untouched.

If you're running an XL, don't bother, the LT/RT will still blow and for IS that means a dead engine. If you're stuffing ammo in legs and never get legged, don't bother either. YMMV

Edited by Cabusha, 08 February 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#7 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

View Post5LeafClover, on 08 February 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

Ok, scenario:

Gauss in arm, case in neighbouring ST, gauss explodes (they invariably do in my experience). Is the ST protected from trannsfer damage?

On this situation no.

C.a.s.e. stops the damage from the section it's placed in to transfer to adjacent ones but does not protect incoming damage from other sections.

If in your situation you are playing a Clan mechs (wich they do carry arm c.a.s.e.) then Yes the Arm c.a.s.e. will stop damage from transfer into ST.

#8 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:18 AM

The case has to be in the section were the explosion takes place. Side torso + gauss + case will prevent the center torso from any damage caused by a gauss explosion exceeding the side torsos structurE points. In that example case will not prevent the center torso from damage done to the side torso by the enemy. Enemy damage exceeding the side torsos structure points will carry over to the center torso at a value of excess damage x .5.

#9 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. So gauss explosion damage is only 15 points? Could have sworn it was more. It always seemed to be a death sentence in my orions.

How much damage do you suffer for an ammo explosion (not gauss ammo)? I seem to think it was the whole magazine (150 damage). Is that correct?

#10 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,952 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:19 AM

C.A.S.E is one of the biggest wastes of tonnage for how little it actually does for you.

Its also a pretty significant advantage for clans when it comes to ammo storage or using Gauss in the arms, but is still flawed in how it operates as it still allows ammo explosions/Gauss to destroy internals within that section, Clans never have to worry about ammo explosions chain firing off and instantly destroying their connected sections because of full body CASE by default.

For an IS mech, if you put CASE into a torso, you "MUST" put your ammo in that torso for it to protect you from ammo explosion.

Even with CASE for IS mechs, if you have an explosion in your arm or leg, it will do the internal damage not only to that arm/leg, but it leaks damage into the connected Torso potentially criting and destroying or chain damaging anything inside that torso, making it completely pointless.

For IS, It means Gauss or ammo in the arm/leg, when destroyed will still leak internal damage into the connected torso even with CASE, the leak won't pass to your CT, but it will crit internals as well as destroy equipment/weapons/ammo and potentially destroy that torso anyway.

A horrible example being the Cataphract, if you run Dual Gauss, one in the right arm and one in the right torso, if the arm Gauss is destroyed and explodes, it can potentially leak that internal damage from arm to torso, crit the torso Gauss and destroy that in a chained explosion resulting in instant death.

I think for the sake of balance, PGI needs to make IS CASE operate like a firewall.

Let IS CASE vent 100% of any internal damage from Gauss or ammo explosions even for XL mechs, as well as protecting that torso from any arm/leg leaking explosion damage transfer, so that chained internal damage does not happen.

Edited by Mister D, 08 February 2016 - 05:15 AM.

#11 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostCabusha, on 08 February 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

The gauss will explode and damage the arm for 15 damage. Any damage remaining will transfer to the adjacent torso, dealing damage to the internals. If there is still any damage left, CASE will prevent the damage from reaching the CT.

If you're running a heavy/assault with a standard engine and A LOT of ammo, case in the torso is a good idea. Case in point, King Crab with AC-20s in arms has to stuff ammo in legs and head for 5 tons, if he wants more than that, it's going in the torsos. Smart players will leg him and blow the ammo. Case will stop that ammo in the LT/RT, leaving the CT untouched.

If you're running an XL, don't bother, the LT/RT will still blow and for IS that means a dead engine. If you're stuffing ammo in legs and never get legged, don't bother either. YMMV

CASE is a life saver in my KGC. I actually stuff most of my SRM and AC20 ammo in the RT with some "backup" ammo in one leg just in case... Without CASE I pop fast if I take dmg to RT. My Gauss build I don't use CASE bc even tips say that Gauss ammo is the only ammo that doesn't explode....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users