Hardpoint Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

Is the hardpoints fixed in a mech or can you add one or two more of say a energy? Reason being if i want to put a mech out that has all energy instead of being forced to use autocannon or missiles.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

Some clan mechs can swap out hardpoints. You do this by swapping out the omnipods, like arms, legs or side torsos. However no IS mechs have this capability.

Were you looking at a specific mech?

#3 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

The only types of mechs that have the capability to switch any sort of hardpoints are omnimechs. Omnimechs are named as such because of their ability to equip omnipods, which allow for greater customization in some regards (possibly being able to switch a pod with ballistic hardpoints with one that has energy, for example) while at the same time are more restricted in others (fixed base components like engine, heatsinks, upgrades, etc.).

At the moment, all of the omnimechs available are clan. However, that still only allows you to swith one pod out with another for the same location and chassis. The hardpoints those pods possess are still fixed within each pod.

Battlemechs have the hardpoints, that you get, on the specific variant. They cannot be changed, at all. If you want a battlemech with energy hardpoints, then you'd best look for mechs, with variants, that specialize in energy-centric loadouts.

Depending on whether you want IS or Clan mechs, there are plenty out there that could fit your desires.

Edited by Sereglach, 11 February 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

just to clarify at the time of this post, with the exception of the IIC Mechs and the Kodiak all announced Clan Mechs are Omnimechs and can swap out hardpoints but cannot change armor type, structure type, heatsink type, engine size/type and may have other fixed equipment including but not limited to Heat Sinks, Jump Jets and Active Probe.

the IIC Mechs, the Kodiak and all Inner Sphere Mechs are Battlemechs and have fixed hardpoints but no other fixed equipment or upgrades.

#5 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

ok that clears some things up. I did see a jenner(?) or a raven with 6 small pulse and i was interested in upgrading them to med pulse making it far more dangerous. Also was thing of a raven or a jenner with 6 mg like i saw on one mech with 2 med pulse. was thinking that would open a mech up for destruction

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 11 February 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

ok that clears some things up. I did see a jenner(?) or a raven with 6 small pulse and i was interested in upgrading them to med pulse making it far more dangerous. Also was thing of a raven or a jenner with 6 mg like i saw on one mech with 2 med pulse. was thinking that would open a mech up for destruction

Okay, there are not default hardpoint size restrictions, weapons will fit when there are critical slots available. Energy hardpoints can use any energy weapons, provided there is available space/weight. Example, a mech with an energy hardpoint in the head only has room for energy weapons that take up 1 crit slot, so any type of small or medium laser or flamer. A large laser would not fit cause that occupies 2 critical slots.

(IS-Innersphere) On your IS jenner with 6 small pulse lasers, those IS-SPL are 1crit slot/1-ton weapons, so 6 SPL = 6 tons. Med pulse lasers though are 1-slot/2-ton each. 6 MPL=12-tons, or 6 Medium lasers = 6-tons. To not change anything other than weapons your jenner would only be able to equip 3 MPL = 6 tons.

Champion Jenner-F(C)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=76&l=stock

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

So there is a difference in damage, optimal/max range and *heat*. I will let others chime in.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 February 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 10 February 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Is the hardpoints fixed in a mech or can you add one or two more of say a energy? Reason being if i want to put a mech out that has all energy instead of being forced to use autocannon or missiles.

Battlemechs can change everything except hardpoints (or quirks).

Omnimechs can change hardpoints and quirks (to a limited degree) but cannot change engine, structure, armor, or heatsink types.

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 11 February 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

As mentioned above...
Only thing limiting you in this regard is weight restrictions. If you can make the weight work, you can do it.

(There is a game-limited maximum of 16 weapons... but a Dire Wolf can hold 17 hardpoints by a fluke of design).

(Limitation is actually allotted space in the weapon display.)

#8 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 February 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Champion Jenner-F(C)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=76&l=stock
....So there is a difference in damage, optimal/max range and *heat*. I will let others chime in.

Not certain how much cockpit time you've logged in Lights so far, but they can be a wee bit tricksy to pilot well. I'm not saying that to warn you off, by all means if that's your calling jump in... just always like to make sure new pilots understand that the Lights are among some of the more difficult to play.

But, if you're in for it, I bid you a hearty welcome to the world of Lights!

The Jenner.. ah yes... unlike many (okay, seems like the majority) outside of the missile boating Oxide there isn't a huge fan base for the Jenner. However, she's one of my favorite chassis in general, Oxide especially.

That build above is interesting.. she's fast sure but it worries me how much face time you may have to spend with those longer burn mediums. Personally I run with 6xSPL.. but this calls for a more "zoom and boom" style of play which entails you getting stuck in and closing pretty close ... think hit-and-run play style. Can be very rewarding, but comes with a very large downside risk too.

Here's a couple thoughts.. of the F(C) I've used before

Classic F SPL build, plenty of heatsinks to run reasonably cool
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45f7ec7c4dcc344

Gives you a mix of medium for some range and corner peeking but keeps some smalls if you get the chance to get in close.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54dd731da3aceee

(I'm no super optimizer so I'm also open to critiques on the aboves ;) )

I'll leave the Ravens to others, personally I don't drive them so can't help there.

Edited by Morggo, 11 February 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

I used to run my Jenner 4F with only 5 medium lasers. This allowed me to take an extra heat sink, which although I was giving up some alpha damage I was able to run a LOT cooler and continue firing full alhas. I've also ran it with 6 small pulse.

To answer your question about 6 medium pulse you can certainly do it. However that comes at a huge cost for a light. Either armor, heat sinks, or engine or some combination of all three. Not a trade off I'd be willing to make in a light.

Although I do have a Spider 5D with an ER PPC, two small lasers maximum jump jets and the biggest engine I could squeeze in but almost no armor at all. I run it for giggles and see how long I can survive.

#10 Glock19

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:52 PM

As mentioned, omnipods on clan mechs to swap out, do some research and you'll find what works best, essentially all mechs are a use, just have to be patience and fight smart. Good Luck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users