1On Tactics [Not Too Long]

3 replies to this topic

#1 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

I liked to run raid... a lot.

Scouting, Recon, Support, Harrying, Blitzkrieg and Raiding are my jam. I also like mixed bags w/ assault.

Unless I'm running around the bigger robots like chihuahua on espresso, blitzing the enemy base, or provided indirect support in the form of Macross Missile Massacre or Recon Scouting; I want to run with the main body as skirmisher/brawler?

Not so much mobility as beefy and hard hitting. Sorta Glass Cannon, but w/ more lean on armor and variety of engagement ranges so I can work with the main body.

So, my question to the community is simple: Can I run these and still function in gameplay, or are Recon/Raid/Support/Mixed Bag Assault simply useless notions that will get me and my lancemates killed?

PS I intend to start with a Jagermech A. Could I be linked to wherever the metagaming is? Much Thanks.

Edited by Motormouth, 11 February 2016 - 01:35 AM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:56 AM

a fast Light Mech (including the Cicada, technically a medium) can function effectively as both a scout and harasser/skirmisher/rader/brawler whatever you want to call it with the same build.

indirect LRM fire is easy to do but one of the hardest things to do well, as firing indirectly you have to arc your missiles over terrain but still hit the enemy, without knowing the maps really well it is hard to gauge if your missiles will hit the enemy or the wall/building he/she is hiding behind, also if the enemy breaks the lock the missiles just fire to the last known location of the enemy. my preferance for LRMs is direct fire at 200-600m, while the missiles can still hit a target at 950m the chances are good that the target will make it to cover before the missiles hit at that range (yes even a slow assault), LRMs may say they have a range of 1km but that includes missile flight path, and if firing at long range you will loose 20-50 m in the up and over arc.

if you want meta check out metamechs, but I do not advise that for a new player as the builds are designed to be very good at a single role, find yourself with a team with the wrong range bracket or on the wrong map and the "meta" build may be useless, also they usualy require more skill to do well with than a new player is likely to have.

the JM6-A is the only Jagermech with missiles, you can do a variety of builds with it, here are a few ideas
a shotgun with LBX10 and SRMs,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8dbdf68eda8a178
an LRM boat
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...961f17f5a220c7b
dual Gauss sniper
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed2e64fd8f91248
or UAC5+LL/ERLL fire support
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ff315ad8ab4f47

Run whatever you want, however Mechs in general and Assaults especially are best focused on a single range of engagement however it is not a bad idea to have a close range Mech with an LRM rack or ER Large Laser so you are not completely useless at long range or have some medium lasers as close range backups on a long range Mech.

the "meta" for higher tiers is direct fire pinpoint damage, that means Gauss Rifle or IS Auto Cannons with Lasers.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 February 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#3 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

Thanks! That's very helpful. And partly answers my other post.

#4 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

Some units do actually use the fast brawling or hit and run tactics to great extent.
There are certain mechs, that can be very fast, yet retain good firepower.
Griffin, Wolverine, Blackjack, Crab, Cicada - meds. Dragon, Quickdraw - heavies, but most of them can go 80+.
Clan mechs are quite fast as well, 87 kph being the usual speed for their heavies, with Summoner going a bit faster.
There are even some assaults, that go 80+, and I've seen units/teams utilizing that.

For "hard-hitting brawler" you're going in the right direction. High alpha / high dps mechs. SRMs is one way of doing it - more raw damage, but less precise. LPLs is another way - hotter and needs good aim, but certain mechs/builds can slice shoulders off mechs with just one good hit.

And aye, a good scout and/or backstabber is something most teams would gladly have. Not more than a couple, usually, but the importance of that one player is hard to underestimate in certain matches.

Edited by LeeNTien, 11 February 2016 - 02:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook