11 replies to this topic

#1 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Want to keep it short.
I think that its sad how the skill tree is build up.Achieving master status shoud be the middle
of the possible progression bar from a mech.
Right when you unlock the extra module slot (mech or weapon module mountable)
your mech is branded as an "collected favorite" in best case, having no reason to be played
except you enjoy playing it.Dont get me wrong, i also have my collection of mechs i didnt sold
because they are fun to play.But i focus mainly on leveling all chassis, and unlocking the master
level in the skill tree of a mech is mostly the point when i switch the modules out of it to a new, unleveled one.

So in short:
Master Skill Level shoud be the introduction to the second half of the (new) skill tree
to make the unlocked module slot worthwile instead of only improving a "collected mech"

what new skill you woud implement?Here is mine

Legendary Level:
9x9 cool shot activated automaticly when mech is about to shut down
(triggered when reaching 100% heat,only once per match,no consumable slot/item needed)

Edited by shr84, 22 February 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Postshr84, on 11 February 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Legendary Level:
9x9 cool shot activated automaticly when mech i abot to shut down
(triggered when reaching 100% heat,only once per match,no consumable slot/item needed)

No, you don't get a "get out of jail free" card.

In terms of adding a long-term XP grinding goal, I'd rather have it become cosmetic or convenience (e.g. money booster) than just making the mech stronger.

#3 TheBlackMegadeus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostFupDup, on 11 February 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

In terms of adding a long-term XP grinding goal, I'd rather have it become cosmetic or convenience (e.g. money booster) than just making the mech stronger.

View Postshr84, on 11 February 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

9x9 cool shot activated automaticly when mech i abot to shut down

That as a module would be great, but make it really expensive(consumable maybe?)
and yes this game needs a cbill/xp/excess currency sink to make players want to play the game more.

Edited by TheBlackMegadeus, 11 February 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

View PostTheBlackMegadeus, on 11 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

and yes this game needs a cbill/xp/excess currency sink to make players want to play the game more.

If they want people to play the game more, they should try to find ways to make it more...fun.

Otherwise, if we assume money is the only reason people stick around, then after people have gotten to the next money milestone they'll lose their "reason to keep playing" all over again.

Edited by FupDup, 11 February 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#5 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostTheBlackMegadeus, on 11 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

That as a module would be great, but make it really expensive(consumable maybe?)

No, it does NOT need more a sink.

I don't play for credits. I don't play for c-bills. I play because I enjoy blowing people up in their digital robots. I don't care how big my credit balance is in the game. If the hill were dramatically steeper I would still play until it becomes unfeasible to compete with what I have... and then I'd quit. I'd rather find something else to play that is not a job so I can do the only thing I seek to do when I game--have fun.

This is the same reason I never trade or grind in Elite Dangerous. There are lots of people that must have billions in the bank and the biggest ships. They spend their time doing tedious chores. I play for fun.

#6 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

Another could be a flag on the mech, per say a flag like this character is carrying sort of style?

Posted Image

Edited by Scout Derek, 11 February 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#7 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 11 February 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

Another could be a flag on the mech, per say a flag like this character is carrying sort of style?

Posted Image

I wouldnt' take it, just makes you easier to spot, but why not?

Decals, nose art, etc. are all cosmetic revenue streams for PGI but they can't seem to figure out how to apply decals and such properly....

I mean seriously...

That's one of the reasons decals (deckles) have taken so long...

#8 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

was thinking about this myself recently - once i level the mech i put it away for a while, and many i rarely go back to

one option might be to 'quirk your own mech' - every 25k or 30k XP you can add 1% of a quirk to your mech to a max of 5% of any particular quirk (so it never gets out of hand. 5% isn't out of hand, right?). possibilities include weapon cooldown, range, heat, velocity, laser duration, ammo (at 5% LRM ammo would give you an extra 9 missiles/t, AC20 you get 1 shot/t), 5% CB boost, etc. you could even subdivide each one into ballistics/missile/energy if you wanted to triple the possibilities. to get 5% on just one you'd need to grind 125k - 150k XP which would take a while

havn't had an achievement in months either - make the achievements work for each chassis instead of all your mechs combined

Edited by JagdFlanker, 11 February 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#9 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 11 February 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

was thinking about this myself recently - once i level the mech i put it away for a while, and many i rarely go back to

one option might be to 'quirk your own mech' - every 25k or 30k XP you can add 1% of a quirk to your mech to a max of 5% of any particular quirk (so it never gets out of hand. 5% isn't out of hand, right?). possibilities include weapon cooldown, range, heat, velocity, laser duration, ammo (at 5% LRM ammo would give you an extra 9 missiles/t, AC20 you get 1 shot/t), 5% CB boost, etc. you could even subdivide each one into ballistics/missile/energy if you wanted to triple the possibilities. to get 5% on just one you'd need to grind 125k - 150k XP which would take a while

havn't had an achievement in months either - make the achievements work for each chassis instead of all your mechs combined

that´s also a cool idea.Woud give you a good variete of options to make the mech fit the role you want him to be.
And that the custom quirks are not above 5% woud make this not an OP build fest i think.
That way they coud get rid of the actual quirk system completely, giving people the customisation of their mech
to 100% back in their own hands.
Bye Bye to the "Use this or feel stupid (unless you are ignorant as shr84)" situation

#10 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

PGI has removed player choice from building mechs. It is a disservice to the spirit of mechwarrior and the gaming industry which has been tailored to allow player choice as a priority in development.

The skill tree needs totally thrown out and re-done. The module system should be how we quirk our own mechs. XP, GXP, and CB have little use after a while. That is a huge problem in terms of longevity.

Repair and rearm along with a player economy would have gone a long way for this game.

#11 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Maybie 9x9 cool shot is too much.Woud also be usefull when you just return to 90% heat and stay able move instead of shutting down and sit like a duck.

#12 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 22 February 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

PGI has removed player choice from building mechs. It is a disservice to the spirit of mechwarrior and the gaming industry which has been tailored to allow player choice as a priority in development.

The skill tree needs totally thrown out and re-done. The module system should be how we quirk our own mechs. XP, GXP, and CB have little use after a while. That is a huge problem in terms of longevity.

Repair and rearm along with a player economy would have gone a long way for this game.

i think the skill tree is making sense, improving the mechs movement, later on his weapons behavior and finally (sadly) an extra module slot.But as i mentioned this shoudnt be the end of the road, instead the options to give your mech a specific role through different skills shoud follow.Coud be even different set of skill per weight class.
That woud be awesome....

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users