#1 DJ Sikosis

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Like most of you, I use to play MechWarrior back in the day and was excited to see it being relaunched as an online game, I downloaded the client played a few games and it fell off my radar. When it came to Steam late last year, it was back on my radar and I jumped in head first.

I was really overwhelmed with the choice of mechs, modules, clans, etc and not knowing what I was suppose to choose after doing the basic training. I bought a mech (my bad) and used it a couple of times. I then upgraded it with more weapons and then found myself in a game with a bunch of inactive weapons. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong and then finally realised I could play with these trial mechs. So, I decided to do that and it's been great. I sold off the bad mech I had and then found myself in a hole, not being able to afford any decent mechs (unless I spend real money). It's an off pay week too :(

Now I'm trying to grind away to get 1 million so I can afford the mech I actually want, but when you only get 50,000-70,000 CB per game, it's gonna take awhile. I just hope I don't get bored before that happens as I need to own a mech to get these skill upgrades and buy skins, etc.

Anyway, this isn't a rant or whinge or anything like that. Just thought I'd share my story.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Welcome back.
The key is to learn to love the grind. The grind is the game itself!

And worst case scenario, you could always start a new account and get that cadet bonus again.

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostDJSikosis, on 11 February 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

Like most of you, I use to play MechWarrior back in the day and was excited to see it being relaunched as an online game, I downloaded the client played a few games and it fell off my radar. When it came to Steam late last year, it was back on my radar and I jumped in head first.

I was really overwhelmed with the choice of mechs, modules, clans, etc and not knowing what I was suppose to choose after doing the basic training. I bought a mech (my bad) and used it a couple of times. I then upgraded it with more weapons and then found myself in a game with a bunch of inactive weapons. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong and then finally realised I could play with these trial mechs. So, I decided to do that and it's been great. I sold off the bad mech I had and then found myself in a hole, not being able to afford any decent mechs (unless I spend real money). It's an off pay week too :(

Now I'm trying to grind away to get 1 million so I can afford the mech I actually want, but when you only get 50,000-70,000 CB per game, it's gonna take awhile. I just hope I don't get bored before that happens as I need to own a mech to get these skill upgrades and buy skins, etc.

Anyway, this isn't a rant or whinge or anything like that. Just thought I'd share my story.

The trial mechs accrue XP, so it's not a total waste, you just can't use it until you actually buy the chassis. I'd suggest playing them all for a bit until you find one that seems to work for you and make that your next mech purchase. If feel truly boned, there is always the new account route that Boogie138 suggested.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:49 PM

Also, if you haven't run the tutorial, there's c-bills to be had there.

~Leone.

#5 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

I´ll second (or third?) the advice to create a new account.
Hold on to the c-bills from the tutorial, do the first 25 missions in trial mechs (you might have noticed that you get huge bonus payouts for those first 25 missions) and save all those c-bills too.

After that, you should sit on around 18 to 19 millions.

Then go shopping :)

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:23 AM

what you can get as a new player,
tutorial 5 million cbills
first 25 games match earnings + 12 million.

from what you said about having nothing but inactive weapons you probably equipped ballistics or missiles without ammo, the Mechlab should give you a warning if you do that.
Basic rules of thumb for ammo dependent weapons;
LRMs take 1 ton for every 5 tubes,
SRMs/SSRMs take 1 ton for every 4 tubes,
AC2 take 2 tons each,
Machine Guns take 1/4-1/2 tons each,
other Autocannons or Gauss take 3 tons each.

after playing a few games if you are usualy running out add more ammo, if you never run out take less.

next time you buy a Mech (or better yet before you buy your next Mech) come here and ask for advice the best Mech for you of if you have already purchased one advice on refitting it.
give us as much information as possible on your likes and dislikes, why you liked/disliked each trial Mech and weapon you tried, the more information we get the better advice we can give.

#7 Ximinett

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

Yes,i recommend to start a new account for the first 25 matches cbills (and the 5 million of cbills on tutorial) for make a new first mech,totally setup'd for u.

Take in mind that u must know what u like more,LRMs,ACs,SRMs or laz0rs. But sometimes the best thing u like,as a newbie,is not what u are the best in.

Ill talk on my own experience,for example,i like the LRM mechs,and my first mech was a Catapult A1 one year ago,i get 1 kill with luck,but for specific reasons,i stop playing. One month ago,i started to play again,i have no idea at what im good different of LRMs,but one day...it occurs...yes,i do 5 kills with a trial mech,the Raven 3L champion,and from then,i started to get kills,from 1 to 5 on different mechs on different accounts (really i have about 15 accounts xD)

Now i stay with this account and i discover that my best scores was with laser mechs and ACs mechs.

Consider this webpage to experiment loadouts and mechs:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Less than assault mechs,a new account with tutorial fully completed and first 25 matches cbills,u can have whatever mech fully setup'd.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:30 AM

View PostXiminett, on 14 February 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

Take in mind that u must know what u like more,LRMs,ACs,SRMs or laz0rs. But sometimes the best thing u like,as a newbie,is not what u are the best in.

I second that point, my favorite Mech is the Spider, I like all the cbill variants but my favorite is the 5V, I just love having 11 Jumpjets and 165KPH. however that is the single most lightly armed Mech in the game, the absolute most firepower you can have is 2 Medium Pulse Lasers.

my most effective Light Mechs are the FS9-E with 4 MPL and 4 MG and the Jenner IIC with 5 SRM4,

my most effective Mechs are heavies, the Warhammer Black Widow, the Marauder and the Timber Wolf, all of them move 80+ kph and in the case of the Marauder that is achieved with a standard 350 engine.
I prefer piloting the Lights, so spend about half my time in them, but if I want to be competitive I take a medium or heavy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users