- - - - -

Finer Points: Control

5 replies to this topic

#1 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Any help w/ using Heat and Night Vision?

Also, how can I utilize the Battlemap more effectively.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm running a Raven 4X for long range spotting/scouting and occasional rushing. What style of maneuvering would be best? How can I effectively take a hit, especially in a light?

What situation should I run, and which should I stand and fight?

Genreal tips or specific techniques would be greatly appreciated.

#2 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:17 AM

If in doubt toggle them on and see if that helps.

Thermal is only good for cold(ish) places, so Terra will white out your screen.

The trick for lights is to NEVER stopped moving...

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 12 February 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#3 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:42 AM

I don´t really want to contradict you, Ember, but thermal _can_ be useful on hot maps too, where the enemy mechs show up at _black_ dots.

But generally I agree, just try the various view modes at the start of the match.
On quite a few maps the special vision modes provide a _much_ better contrast between terrain and the mechs, which is all that counts (a shame, really. The artists create a great looking map and then add so much haze or other crap that you are forced to use thermal which in turn leads to no-one actually _seeing_ all that nice stuff they put in)

Oh, one more thing: Be aware that the _range_ of the special view modes is limited (not sure, but I think around 700 to 800 meters), so while in thermal- or night vision, you won´t be able to see anything out a klick or more, while _they_ might be able to see (and shoot) you if they use normal vision mode.

As for the map, if you take lance- or company command, you can place markers on the battle-grid (attack here, defend here, that kind of stuff), but the interface is a bit clunky and the markers are bloddy big and block a lot of the other stuff on the mini-map.

I´m quite bad with lights, so no tips from me on those (none you want to listen to anyway Posted Image )

Edited by Antecursor Venatus, 12 February 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#4 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostAntecursor Venatus, on 12 February 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

I don´t really want to contradict you, Ember, but thermal _can_ be useful on hot maps too, where the enemy mechs show up at _black_ dots.

Yes they do but unless you are switching them off/ on you will not see much else.

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 12 February 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

Frozen City you want Thermal (h), on the night time maps you want night (n) if you need to see through smoke/fog that it thermal.

the best way to take a hit in a light is to keep moving so lasers, missiles and Clan Balistics have trouble dealing full damage and inner sphere balistics and PPCs are more likely to miss.
by keep moving that does not mean run in a straight line, it means keep your torso twisting slightly side to side and if you think there is a chance an enemy can see you do not move in a straight line or stand still. those are general "rule of thumb" tips for surviving in a Light or Cicada, when you get more experienced as a Light pilot you will find situations when it is better to disregard those rules.

#6 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:07 AM

With lights and lights are one of my strong points. Is to ensure that you can move at full speed whilst maintaining a laser burn on a specific component of a mech, not just the mech itself, so ensure your mouse sensitivity is low enough to acheive this but still high enough to torso twist quickly, as your aim improves so your sensitivity can be increased till you hit your own sweet spot (noone is the same)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c5f89843dc14c4c
I linked this build on your other thread but thats the best build for the 4X atm if you want to snipe, however with a smaller engine you can change it to 2 Large Pulse lasers which is more damaging, with a shorter duration so your damage is generally going to be more precise but you will have to move slower due to the smaller engine.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c9c56fa9e23e01

Think not about what you should do, but what the enemy will do, that in turn will tell you what you need to do. In the RVN-4X with 2 ERLL you want to be getting the flanks, the idea is for you to shoot the enemy but them not to shoot you, so if your hanging around your team thats not going to happen. Just be aware of mechs near you, so eventually getting seismic sensor will aid you in this, radar deprivation module will also help you disapeer out of sight sooner. 'Out of sight, out of mind'.

Night vision has few instances its useful, Thermal however can be useful on all maps, it also has the caveat of showing an enemy a split second before they crest a hill/round a corner. I will often flick between the views mid fight and gauge what is most appropiate.

As for standing and fighting, your in a raven-4X, its most definitely not a brawler and so your aim is to be a bit more sneakier and you generally dont want to stand and fight in that mech until you become very proficient in its use. Best thing you can do is watch competive matches or high level players on twitch when they are piloting lights, I used to twitch but I moved and dont have the internet upload required to do so :(

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 12 February 2016 - 02:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users